The World News Media

How Much Do You Know About a Ostrich? ~ Test Here....⏳

Bible Speaks

OSTRICH ~ How Much Do You Know About a Ostrich? ~ Test Here....?

[Heb., bath hai·ya·?anah?; rena·nim? (plural)].

The first of these Hebrew names is understood to mean either “daughter of the greedy one” or “daughter of the barren ground,” terms that may aptly apply to the ostrich. The second name, regarded as indicating a “bird of piercing cries,” also fits the ostrich, whose cry is described as a “hoarse, mournful cry which has been likened to the roaring of a lion.”—The Smithsonian Series, 1944, Vol. 9, p. 105; compare Mic 1:8.

The ostrich (Struthio camelus) is the largest living bird known, at times standing over 2 m (7 ft) high at the crown of the head and weighing as much as 140 kg (300 lb). The head is rather small and flat with very large eyes, the flexible neck is about 1 m (3 ft) long, and like the powerful legs, both head and neck are bare of feathers. The body plumage, however, is luxuriant, the long soft wing and tail plumes being much prized in ancient and modern times. The sleek black and white plumage of the male contrasts with the dull grayish-brown color of the female. The ostrich is unique among all birds in having but two toes on each foot, one of them equipped with a clawlike hoof that becomes a dangerous weapon when the bird is forced to defend itself. Its height and keen vision, however, usually enable it to spot its enemies from afar, and the huge bird then warily moves away.

While the ostrich feeds mainly on vegetation, it is also carnivorous, including snakes, lizards, and even small birds in its indiscriminate diet. It is found among the list of ‘unclean’ birds prohibited by the Mosaic Law. (Le 11:13, 16; De 14:12, 15) Anciently known as the camel bird, the ostrich is able to endure for long periods without water and hence thrives in solitary wastelands. It is used in the Bible, along with jackals and similar creatures, as representative of desert life (Isa 43:20) and to depict the ruinous desolation that became the fate of Edom and Babylon. (Isa 13:21; 34:13; Jer 50:39) Job, rejected and detested, sitting among ashes, and mournfully crying out, considered himself like “a brother to jackals” and “a companion to the daughters of the ostrich.”—Job 30:29.

Forgets Wisdom.’ The ostrich is said to “forget wisdom” and ‘not share in understanding.’ (Job 39:17) Modern observers have acknowledged this. The Arabs have a saying “more foolish than an ostrich.” (Soncino Books of the Bible, edited by A. Cohen, London, 1946, Job, p. 205) The ostrich tends to run in a large curve, which permits its pursuers, if sufficient in number, to surround it. But on a straight course the ostrich’s powerful legs enable it to ‘laugh at the horse and at its rider.’ (Job 39:18) When running, its strides lengthen out to cover as much as 3.5 m (11 ft) at a time, and its pace may reach as high as 70 km/hr (44 mph). The wings, useless for flight, nevertheless help to give balance to the bird’s heavy body as it runs.

The ostrich has certain characteristics that are said to stagger scientists, who tend to class the ostrich as among the ‘lower or more primitive’ of living birds. It has a bladder collecting uric acid, an organ characteristic of mammals but not possessed by any other family of birds. It also possesses eyelashes that protect its eyes from the blowing sand. Thus, though low in intelligence, the powerful, speedy ostrich gives credit to the wisdom of its Creator.

The Arabian ostrich (Struthio camelus syriacus), once abundant in Palestine and Arabia, is now extinct. Since 1973, a related African variety has been reintroduced into Israel.

Video by:
@robertclarkphoto A short video in honor of the National Bird Day, January 5th, while these certainly are not migratory birds, they are, to me, one if the most interesting of the #Avian family. #NationalBirdDay

Enjoy the birds and Video ?

Tap on Video Link mp4___________?

A08B8688-B4B9-4E99-A539-5328C489296B.MP4

A2AC0586-1F1B-4ACD-9C79-E7CCD54CD904.jpeg

• Views 413
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OSTRICH ~ How Much Do You Know About a Ostrich? ~ Test Here....? [Heb., bath hai·ya·?anah?; rena·nim? (plural)]. The first of these Hebrew names is understood to mean either “daughter of

I had occasion, many years ago to see a male ostrich chasing a female ostrich who clearly did not want his amorous advances, and for about ten minutes I watched ..until it was clear that he was going

@James Thomas Rook Jr. “Forgets Wisdom.’ The ostrich is said to “forget wisdom” and ‘not share in understanding.’ (Job 39:17) Modern observers have acknowledged this. The Arabs have a saying “mor

Posted Images

I had occasion, many years ago to see a male ostrich chasing a female ostrich who clearly did not want his amorous advances, and for about ten minutes I watched ..until it was clear that he was going to catch her ... so she stuck her head into the sand, believing that he would not be able to see her.  He came to a screeching halt about fifteen feet behind her, slowly approached, and looked all around and said "Hmmm... I wonder where SHE went?".

12 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I had occasion, many years ago to see a male ostrich chasing a female ostrich who clearly did not want his amorous advances, and for about ten minutes I watched ..until it was clear that he was going to catch her ... so she stuck her head into the sand, believing that he would not be able to see her.  He came to a screeching halt about fifteen feet behind her, slowly approached, and looked all around and said "Hmmm... I wonder where SHE went?".

@James Thomas Rook Jr.

“Forgets Wisdom.’ The ostrich is said to “forget wisdom” and ‘not share in understanding.’ (Job 39:17) Modern observers have acknowledged this. The Arabs have a saying “more foolish than an ostrich.” (Soncino Books of the Bible, edited by A. Cohen, London, 1946, Job, p. 205) The ostrich tends to run in a large curve, which permits its pursuers, if sufficient in number, to surround it. But on a straight course the ostrich’s powerful legs enable it to ‘laugh at the horse and at its rider.’ (Job 39:18) When running, its strides lengthen out to cover as much as 3.5 m (11 ft) at a time, and its pace may reach as high as 70 km/hr (44 mph). The wings, useless for flight, nevertheless help to give balance to the bird’s heavy body as it runs.”

HAHA! Crazy Ostrich perhaps this time she won? Maybe the “trick” is to bury my head in the sand? 

???

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.