The World News Media

A Bethelite's Prayer

James Thomas Rook Jr.

A 32 year old Bethelite at Warwick, NY  was walking along a sidewalk at Bethel, going to the cafeteria for the evening meal,  and as he walked along, was in deep prayer to Jehovah God.

He said, "Jehovah, you have promised to give me the desires of my heart. That's what I am asking you for right now. Please give me a confirmation that you will reward my faith and service to you.”

Suddenly the sky clouded up over his head and God in a booming voice spoke to him. "I have searched your heart and determined it to be pure. The last time I granted someone the desires of his heart request .... it was to my servant Solomon.”

“ He didn't disappoint me with his request for wisdom.”

“ I think I can trust that you won't disappoint me either. Because you have been faithful to me in all ways, I will grant you the desires of your heart."

The Brother sat and thought about it for a while and said, "I've always wanted to have a deep understanding of the Bible, and I have really tried, but I have forsaken a good education, and taken a vow of poverty and cannot afford a car or the classes I need to become an Engineer when my service here at  Bethel is up …. could you help me afford a car, and a stipend so I can go to school, and learn to provide for myself and my future family as I get old?"

The Lord laughed and said, "That's impossible! Think of the logistics of that! I would have to start creating again to make you a car, and money to use, and get you into a college without any background that would make sense for what you would be learning!”

“ … Your request is very materialistic, a little disappointing. I could do it, but it's hard for me to justify your craving for worldly things. Take a little more time and think of another request ….  a  request you think would honor and glorify Me as well."

The Brother  thought about it for a long while and tried to think of a really good request.

Finally, he said, “Oh God, please hear my request.  I was Baptized when I was eight years old, and paid attention all my life, taking notes, reading the Bible, and meditation … but I just cannot understand the “Overlapping Generations” thing.  I can’t see how Jesus or the Apostles or any disciples in the Early Church ever understood that, when Jesus was speaking. Can you help me to understand the “Overlapping Generations” Doctrine?”

“I want to know what all the other Brothers and Sisters know, what  they feel inside and what they're thinking ...I want to know how to be as truly happy as they are, knowing these deep things about You ....That's the wish that I want, Jehovah … my hearts desire."

… after a few minutes, God said, "How about a Corvette and a full scholarship to Stanford University?"

• Views 427
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BUT...  Jehovah  NEVER  would  say  that !  Nice  humor,  yes THANKS

I would say it is comforting to know that our enduring FAITHFUL till the end (whether that be Armageddon or death in old age or sickness) means we are guaranteed everlasting life. Why should we care a

Yes of course, I worded it wrong, I was referring to what Jesus said to the little flock. They will of course not only gain everlasting life but immortality, straight after they are transformed. We wi

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, tromboneck said:

is this supposed to be funny? Not

Well .... everyone has a different sense of humor .... I was raised on MAD Magazine, so I appreciate biting satire, hard irony, and dumb visual jokes ... but most people do not ... and then again, people visualize things differently, depending on their background, experiences, and general education ... so the perspective of what actually IS satire and irony, and visual jokes is dramatically different between people.

To get the incredibly funny comment by Carl Childers "Get it?" ... you have to have seen the movie "Sling Blade", as a classic example.

This is true  across languages, and cultures. Sharon Washington and Queen Ester DID think it was funny, and as Meat Loaf sang... "Two out of three ain't bad!".

22 minutes ago, tromboneck said:

How comforting it is to know that the younger anointed contemporaries of those older anointed ones who discerned the sign when it became evident beginning in 1914 will not die off before the great tribulation starts!

I would say it is comforting to know that our enduring FAITHFUL till the end (whether that be Armageddon or death in old age or sickness) means we are guaranteed everlasting life. Why should we care about an overlapping generation? It is merely speculative, whereas on the other hand the promise of a bright future (whether that be through surviving Armageddon or being resurrected) isn't. It is a clear Biblical teaching easy to understand. The generation that Jesus spoke about was a literal generation in Jesus's day, for our day, the meaning is ambiguous (obviously).

2 hours ago, tromboneck said:

you are not guaranteed or granted the right to everlasting physical life until after the final test at the end of the 1,000 yr, reign of Jesus Christ, if you pass that test.

Yes of course, I worded it wrong, I was referring to what Jesus said to the little flock. They will of course not only gain everlasting life but immortality, straight after they are transformed. We will have to wait until after the 1000 years, and then we will still not be immortal, but will have everlasting life.,,,

because you have no interest in understanding its significance

.I have no interest because it does not seem significant to me. We live or die for Jehovah, regardless of when the end comes.

is offering speculation in the place of spiritual food 

It wouldn't be the first time, would it? (1914, 1925, 1975)

sadly mistaken and need to reevaluate your view of Jehovah God's earthly organization

I will quote the view of one of the Governing Body (Sam Herd) "we are just looking, we are just learning, we are just touching things....."   in other words with their own admission the GB have incomplete knowledge, are fallible and do err. With this being the case, I feel there is nothing wrong with a "wait and see attitude" rather that taking everything they say as being infallible and making it a basis for how I live my life, whether I have a sense of urgency or not. We should live our life as if  Armageddon was to come tomorrow, regardless of whether someone says so or not. The Bible says so. It says we should be ready. "Therefore, beloved ones, since you are awaiting these things, do your utmost to be found finally by him spotless and unblemished and in peace" (2 Peter 3:14). No generation explanation needed there. Or do you, Tom, need a generation time limit as an incentive?  It is understandable that some who are aging or sick or suffering in some way cannot wait for the end to come soon. And then there are others who have family members that are not in yet, and they wish for more time.....It is Jehovah's time table and we can speculate generation or no generation all we like but it will come when he sees fit. The Bible says so.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.