How To Apologize To Someone You've Hurt & Actually Move Forward

Guest Indiana

Guest Indiana

• Views 275
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much like the method that the Japanese used to make sincere apologies for serious transgressions under the Bushido Code.

The fact that an apology is truly sincere cannot be doubted.

You sit at a table across from the person you have wronged with ceremonial towels, and ceremonial knife, and you apologize verbally, and cut off a complete finger, wrap it in one of the ceremonial towels, and slide it across the table, to the person you wronged.

If the apology is not considered sufficient, he will slide the towel back to you, and you have to cut off another one, and repeat the process. Usually this is reserved for things like adultery with his wife ... that level of "injury".

This is absolute honesty in its rawest form ... as the apology is sincere, and the acceptance is governed by the compassion of the other person.  It also allows the victim to feel justice has been done, and he can truly "forgive and forget", knowing the offender will never forget the wrong he has caused, as long as he lives.

This is NOT playing with words!

On 4/20/2019 at 9:45 PM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

and cut off a complete finger, wrap it in one of the ceremonial towels, and slide it across the table, to the person you wronged.

The last time I played this game with someone who had offended me, I kept holding out until at last the idiot cut off his head and slid it to me.