The World News Media

God's Name Found in the Greek Scriptures under θεόν (theon).

BroRando

9ca900_4e7500a1fae6456fb3096ab517b30938~ 

Imagine opening the Bible, and of all sudden, like a bolt of lightning, being instantly stuck with the Manifestation of God's Holy Name in the New Testament! The Greek language contains two Greek titles for God. The first title is θεόν (theon) and it refers to 'the God" as Supreme One or Self-Existent One. The second Greek title θεός (theos) can apply to God, a god, or gods and is shared with many. But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.

According to the Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon. It mentions that later Hebrews, for some centuries before the time of Christ, either Misled by False Interpretation of certain laws, or else following some old superstition. Then goes on to tell us, that every time the later Hebrews came upon the Name of God, they substituted Lord. They also pointed out that θεόν was in reference to God's Name.

9ca900_a4059edff29243d7b4f830228fdc0abd~

So let's try to insert our newly found information and see if it holds true.

• "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Jehovah, and the Word was a god."(John 1:1)
  • No man has seen Jehovah at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him. (John 1:18)

Here are a few notable scriptures with the superlative title θεόν (theon) :

John 14:1 N-AMS

GRK: εἰς τὸν θεόν καὶ εἰς

NAS: believe in God, believe

KJV: ye believe in God, believe also

INT: on God also on

John 17:3 N-AMS

GRK: μόνον ἀληθινὸν θεὸν καὶ ὃν

NAS: true God, and Jesus

KJV: the only true God, and Jesus

INT: only true God and whom

John 20:17 N-AMS

GRK: ὑμῶν καὶ θεόν μου καὶ

NAS: and your Father, and My God and your God.'

KJV: and [to] my God, and your

INT: of you and God of me and

Inserting God's Name doesn't flow smoothly in all 148 Greek occurrences. For example, in John 17:3 inserting the meaning of the title θεόν (theon) not only fits, but gives deeper understanding.

• This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true Supreme One, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
  • This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true Self-Existent One, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.

Then again, the quote from Jesus Christ invoking the title θεόν in (John 14:1)

• Do not let your hearts be troubled. Exercise faith in Jehovah; exercise faith also in me.

There are so many scriptures that actually should have God's Name in it like, "Three times I begged Jehovah about this, that it would depart from me." (2 Corinthians 12:7)

• Views 169
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@BroRando, If you are a Witness you should really take this matter up with the Watchtower Society / the Branch / the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. The idea has come up befo

@BroRando, If you are a Witness you should really take this matter up with the Watchtower Society / the Branch / the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The idea has come up before and the Watchtower explained that it is people who are unfamiliar with Greek who believe as you do. The Watchtower explains that it is nearly the opposite of the way you have tried to explain it. I'll highlight some of that Watchtower article for those who are interested in the Biblical and grammatical evidence:

*** w77 5/15 p. 319 Questions From Readers ***
To a person unfamiliar with the Greek language it might seem that there is a significance indicated by the fact that first the word is spelled theon and next theos. But the difference is simply a matter of complying with the Greek grammatical case used.
John 1:1 reads: “In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God [τὸν θεὸν, literally, the god], and the Word was a god [θεὸς].”
Greek has five cases—nominative, genitive, dative, accusative and vocative. How a word is spelled can vary depending on the case in which it is used. Take, as an example, the definite article “the.” In the masculine gender “the” is respectively written in the first four of these cases: ὁ, τοῦ, τῷ, τὸν, in the singular number.
Similarly, in John 1:1 the word theos is spelled in accord with the particular case being employed. In the first instance (“the Word was with God”) it is in the accusative case and thus is spelled θεὸν But in the second occurrence it is in the nominative case, and so it is spelled θεὸς. The spelling of theos does not of itself indicate the person or position of the one designated, as 2 Corinthians 4:4, 6 illustrates. In verse four Satan is identified as θεὸς, “the god of this system of things,” and in verse six the Creator is designated θεὸς. The spelling is theos in both verses, for the nominative case is used in each. So the fact that theos is spelled differently in its two occurrences in John 1:1 does not show any difference in meaning; “god” is the meaning in both instances.

You believe the Watchtower is wrong here, and I agree with the Watchtower here. Your argument is with the Watchtower. Ask them about it and you can just tell us what they said when you told them they were wrong.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.