The World News Media

Lots of Threads on Chronology Here.

TrueTomHarley

Lots of threads on chronolgy here. Why should I weigh in? All it would do is rain on someone’s parade. If it is of an interest I don’t give two hoots about—well, there are plenty of things interesting to me that others don’t give two hoots about. ‘Let it be. Let it be. Whisper words of wisdom. Let it be.’

But, what about those words of wisdom, Tommy? What are they? How come you don’t care about what everyone else here does? How come whenever the topic comes up, you join Pudgy in picking off fleas off yourself?

Because it seems analogous to someone finding a document in the engine room of the Titanic to the effect that the ship is not going down in the next 20 minutes, but will take 10 minutes longer. Apart from finishing a final cup of coffee in your stateroom, which can be done so long as you keep tilting it to correspond to the increasing pitch, what difference does it make? 

None of this is to undermine those with serious academic interest in the topic. Go for it, you guys. But also recognize (as most already do) that 90% of those who have made a tiny sliver of Persion history their cause would have difficulty naming who was president the year of their birth. They just latch on to the issue because they think they can embarrass the Witness organization that has based certain expectations on historical events and it turns out theirs is not the majority academic view. Oh, yeah, they’re intense students of history on that account, but otherwise are hard pressed to distinqush Karl Marx from Groucho Marx.

It’s just like I wrote in ‘In the Last of the Last Days: Faith in the Age of Dysfunction:’ those ‘apostates’ who become too wrapped up in this issue end up becoming de-facto cheerleaders of this system of things, hoping it will go on and on forever because that would embarrass their former brothers. They may overestimate the ‘embarrassment.’ ‘New light’ always solves the problem, should one be identified. To be sure, adjusting would be awkward, but not a deal-breaker. 

I doubt the need for it will never arise. I think the brothers will play chicken with the present understanding, which for all I know is the correct one. How many times have I seen the news story that begins with ‘Everything you thought you knew about such-and-such is wrong.’ Majority opinions, even in matters of science, fall all the time. What a great way to end this system of things: with a colossal game of chicken between the two main protagonists!

The system will end before resolution is necessary, or else life may become so tenuous that nobody cares.

I also don’t care about it because, even if I win, most of my opponents will mutter, ‘Okay okay—but what about Adam and Eve? You believe that fairy tale?’

Every so often I find myself aligned with Pudgy, always a worrying development, who says, ‘If it doesn’t have practical consequence, who cares?’

• Views 136
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lots of threads on chronolgy here. Why should I weigh in? All it would do is rain on someone’s parade. If it is of an interest I don’t give two hoots about—well, there are plenty of things interesting

A lot. Especially those who read. You're absolutely right! Viewing the history of the Watchtower through the perspective of apostates is completely irrelevant, just like the comment about beard

In general, I agree with you. I don't care to read irrational research. When people here offer substantiated research with biblical and historical "facts" that are not undermined by personal opinion g

3 minutes ago, xero said:

It's "Chronology".

Oh, very well. Didn’t I tell you I didn’t care?

’I didn’t kill my wife’ said Richard Kimble. But scholarly Sam Gerard immediately countered that argument with, ‘I don’t care.’

21 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

But also recognize (as most already do) that 90% of those who have made a tiny sliver of Persion history their cause would have difficulty naming who was president the year of their birth.

The first Society related to Russell and the Bible Students was Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society.
How many JWs know who the first president was?

Irrelevant to all JWs today. But it's good for them to know they can have a beard if they want.

Maybe they remember that date as important. lol

Only old JWs talk about 1914 as an important year for JWs. These young people today are not interested in it because they "don't care" about it, because it actually goes to Warwick's basement of history.

28 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

The first Society related to Russell and the Bible Students was Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society.
How many JWs know who the first president was?

A lot. Especially those who read.

29 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Irrelevant to all JWs today. But it's good for them to know they can have a beard if they want.

You're absolutely right! Viewing the history of the Watchtower through the perspective of apostates is completely irrelevant, just like the comment about beards.

32 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Only old JWs talk about 1914 as an important year for JWs. These young people today are not interested in it because they "don't care" about it, because it actually goes to Warwick's basement of history.

This comment is a clear indication that you are not staying current. The mention of 1914 occurred not too long ago.

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Oh, very well. Didn’t I tell you I didn’t care?

In general, I agree with you. I don't care to read irrational research. When people here offer substantiated research with biblical and historical "facts" that are not undermined by personal opinion going nowhere, then my interest will be peaked.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.