The World News Media

Why don't fashion models smile?

admin

The reason for this is actually rooted in psychology. 

Smiling in primates - and often in humans - is a sign of appeasement. It's saying "I'm very happy with what you're doing."

Because of that, smiling when there is little reason to smile can be seen as a sign of compliance. It is thus a sign of low status.

In other words, fashion models don't smile because it makes them seem lower in status.

That's exactly how they don't want to appear. They want to project an image of being high status.

They want you to think "I want to be that girl. I want to have the status she has. Maybe if I buy the clothes or makeup she has on I'll have her status too."

[1] http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes....

[2] http://www.epjournal.net/wp-cont... / Smiles as signals of lower status in football players and fashion models: Evidence that smiles are associated with lower dominance and lower prestige | Evolutionary Psychology

[3] Why it's good if your boss doesn't readily smile at you

[4] OASIS

https://www.quora.com/?digest_story=1421172

• 10 months later...

• Views 525
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reason for this is actually rooted in psychology.  Smiling in primates - and often in humans - is a sign of appeasement. It's saying "I'm very happy with what you're doing." Because of

NOT  REALLY  TRUE  ~~~~ Many  Top - models  little  smiling OUR  GERMAN  *HEIDI  KLUM*  mostly smiling  also  in  her  once-a-year  Casting  TV - Show,  *GNTM*  ( Germany's

Posted Images

NOT  REALLY  TRUE  ~~~~

Many  Top - models  little  smiling :)

OUR  GERMAN  *HEIDI  KLUM*  mostly smiling 1f601.png also  in  her  once-a-year  Casting  TV - Show,  *GNTM*  ( Germany's Next Top Model )  the  models  learning  on & off  to  smile !

And  by  *VICTORIA'S  SECRET*  once-a-year,  some  Top-Models  always  smiling  after  their  'hand -air-kiss'  before  going  back  >>>>>>>>

Some  models  never  smile....  best  example,  Victoria  Beckham :(  hahaha   The  most  people  don't  like  that !   A  little  smile  is  mostly  attractive 1f601.png