The World News Media

Extra virgin olive oil staves off Alzheimer's, preserves memory, new study shows

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

Temple University research shows extra-virgin olive oil protects against memory loss, preserves the ability to learn and reduces conditions associated with Alzheimer's disease.

Researchers at the college's Lewis Katz School of Medicine found mice with EVOO-enriched diets had better memories and learning abilities compared to the rodents who didn't eat the oil.

The real effect of EVOO appeared in the inner-workings of the mice's brains. Neuron connections in the brain were better preserved in those on an EVOO diet.

Also, olive oil reduces brain inflammation and activates the autophagy process, whereby intracellular debris and toxins are removed. Such debris and toxins are firm markers of Alzheimer's disease. A reduction in autophagy, researchers claim, is suspected to be the beginning of Alzheimer's disease.

Read more: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/21/extra-virgin-olive-oil-staves-off-alzheimers-preserves-memory-new-study-shows/415279001/

• Views 549
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to know! Hope I can remember to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil next time I order a salad. ;-)

and greek olive oil, I say ..... 

OH....  tasty !!!!    Every  day  a  salad  with  *Extra Virgin Olive Oil*  - and  NEVER  getting  the  crazy  Alzheimer,  WOW  Always  a  colored  salad  to  lunch  or  dinner !   ENJOY  MY

Posted Images