The World News Media

What Does it Really Mean to Be "No Part of the World"?

John 12.24to28

GB/Bethel teaches that "being no part of the world" has to do with something called "Neutrality". 

The word "Neutrality" is not found anywhere in the NWT.

What do the scriptures say regarding the "world"?

"If you were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, for this reason the world hates you."

The men who Jesus was talking to in that conversation, those who were chosen out of the world, were not formerly politicians. They did not vote. They did not have a political party card. So why would "being taken out of the world" mean not voting, not being a politician, or not having a political party card?

"I have given your word to them, but the world has hated them, because they are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world. “I do not request that you take them out of the world, but that you watch over them because of the wicked one.  They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.  Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.  Just as you sent me into the world, I also sent them into the world.  And I am sanctifying myself in their behalf, so that they also may be sanctified by means of truth."

What was Jehovah's word that Jesus gave them? Was Jehovah's word "don't vote" or "abstain from politics" or "be neutral in political issues"? No. Jesus didn't say those things were the word from Jehovah. What was the word from Jehovah? The command to Love. Satan hates those who show love. Satan is not loving. His world is not loving.

"Jesus answered: “My Kingdom is no part of this world. If my Kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my Kingdom is not from this source.”"

Jesus' example shows us that it is wise to abstain from political involvement. However, the phrase "no part of this world" refers not to abstaining from the politics of the world, but to abstaining from having the attitude of the worldly ruler. The apostle John sheds more light on this in his first letter. 

"Do not love either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him;  because everything in the worldthe desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world.  Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but the one who does the will of God remains forever."

In context John talks about the world being in darkness. The world has a lack of love. (This isn't in the sense that the organization uses the word "worldly". People who are not Jehovah's Witnesses can have great love and affection. By "world" here it means Satan's way of doing things.) John explains that "Antichrists" were part of the arrangement of love in the congregation but went out from it, in their hearts. Such ones are part of the world in that the dominant inclination of their hearts is not loving, even if they are physically still in the literal congregation arrangement.

Being "part of the world" means doing things the way Satan would and for the reasons Satan would - for showy display, for prominence, for selfish reasons, for fleshly satisfaction at the cost of others' well-being. 

John was talking, not about people that were never "Jehovah's Witnesses", so-called "worldly people". John's counsel was for those who claimed to be God's Name People but who chose to "serve" for the wrong reasons - showy display, desire of the flesh, and desire of eyes. John (and other Bible writers) were saying that there would be some in the congregation who "serve" for these wrong reasons - in effect, being part of the world of the wicked one.

"Furthermore, God made you alive, though you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you at one time walked according to the system of things of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience."

"The world" Jesus was talking about is not specifically politics. It doesn't have to do with "neutrality". It has to do with a lack of love.

Being "no part of the world" means doing things motivated by love, like Jesus did.

(John 15:19)(John 17:14-19)(John 18:36)(1 John 2:15-17)(Ephesians 2:1,2)

• Views 3.4k
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To go along with this, voting wasn't even a concept for the regular jews back in Jesus's time.  Since  boyle is terribly naive, when a person votes they are not really voting for a person, but wh

What was she reinstated as? Did you stop viewing her as your sister for awhile and then you changed your mind? Why did you abandon her when she needed you most, if she was potentially spir

Oh, don't be sorry about that. I don't know why you got your hopes up. I already knew those things - maybe your expectations were too high? I told you am low and like a kid inside. You can't expect to

Posted Images

I have to do a couple things but I will be back in a bit...in the meantime, what were you mentioning about a Codex in the other thread? As far as the Watchtower and neutrality, there was a talk in a broadcast a few years ago by David Schafer and also a symposium a couple years ago with a video of three people who said they were "no part of the world" because they didn't get involved in social issues. I can find them and put the links here if you want for comparison.

33 minutes ago, boyle said:

So, explain yourself more clearly.

I will try, @boyle 🙂...

"Do not love either the world or the things in the world"

He wasn't talking about loving politics or not loving politics. "World" doesn't mean "politics".

"the world is passing away and so is its desire, but the one who does the will of God remains forever"

the World here is contrasted with the Will of God

the Will of God is that we Love on another and Love God

"See what sort of love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are. That is why the world does not know us, because it has not come to know him.  Beloved ones, we are now children of God, but it has not yet been made manifest what we will be. We do know that when he is made manifest we will be like him, because we will see him just as he is.  And everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as that one is pure."

God is Love. The World doesn't know Jehovah's kids because Jehovah's kids are loving like their Father Jehovah. "The world does not know us" isn't about politics. "No part of the world" isn't about politics. It doesn't have anything to do with neutrality or politics. It has to do with Love.

Another thing, the Kingdom didn't start ruling in 1914. So even if someone had a political party card, that wouldn't be a conflict of interest since the Kingdom wasn't reigning yet anyway.

(It'll be a different story once Jesus takes the throne in heaven, but there is no evidence that's happened yet.)

43 minutes ago, boyle said:

This sounds like a pudgy question. He is a registered voter. Is he correct?

Jesus didn't say people couldn't vote. 

The Bible says to be in subjection to the governmental authorities. If someone impresses you into service one mile, go two. Many governments utilize the voting process. Putting a ballot in a box is not an act of worship. Choosing one official over another for a position in the government is not an act of worship.

The first century governing body said, "abstain from blood, immorality, and what is strangled." There was nothing there about political party cards.

1 minute ago, boyle said:
9 minutes ago, AudreyAnnaNana said:

the World here is contrasted with the Will of God

the Will of God is that we Love on another and Love God

I mentioned it in the past. If you have prime real estate that is perfect, by all means share.

I'm trying - heaven is perfect and it's close - but I can't make anybody open their eyes, little kitten, until that person is ready.

God's love is perfect. When we walk in the light of His face, the Love from Him, we are in that "prime real estate" place.

"Happy are the people who know the joyful shouting. O Jehovah, they walk in the light of your face."  God is Love and Light.

"“You heard that it was said: ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you,  so that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous.  For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing?  And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing?  You must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Heaven, the perfect place, is a place close by, when we are close to Him by means of connection with Him, by means of that spirit, Love.

His spirit is like our lifeblood, the spirit of Love. We keep begging Him for that spirit, and when we open ourselves up to it, then we are in that "prime real estate" place, no matter where we are physically on earth. I keep telling you that, but someday I won't have to tell you, @boyle, because you'll already know. 🙂💖

1 minute ago, boyle said:
14 minutes ago, AudreyAnnaNana said:

The Bible says to be in subjection to the governmental authorities. If someone impresses you into service one mile, go two. Many governments utilize the voting process. Putting a ballot in a box is not an act of worship. Choosing one official over another for a position in the government is not an act of worship.

Not worship. That's the wrong term. Following men, that's the correct ideology. What does scripture say that you are always pointing it out, about following men? Does your definition defer from the rest of the world when it suits your purpose?

"Following men" vs "not following men" is a different issue. 

Being "no part of the world" is not the same issue.

Watchtower says that "being no part of the world" is about being Neutral.

They are not correct. The Bible shows that "being no part of the world" is about having a Loving Heart as opposed to a dark heart.

6 minutes ago, boyle said:
18 minutes ago, AudreyAnnaNana said:

The first century governing body said, "abstain from blood, immorality, and what is strangled." There was nothing there about political party cards.

Are you a vegetarian? Yet, what political cards are you talking about? Are you saying the Watchtower has their own political cards? You're loosing me.

The Watchtower makes rules about political party cards, tells people not to get involved in social issues, and not to vote in elections. 

Whether or not someone did any of those things is a matter for personal review. The Bible gives principles that a person would have to weigh out in their individual circumstance. Sometimes it might be a sin for a person to get involved in one of those things. Sometimes it might be a sin for a person to refrain from getting involved in one of those things. 

Here's how this "no part of the world" misapplication gets extended..."I can't help you, because I'm neutral." Have you ever heard someone make that excuse in the congregation? I have.

It's similar to when the Pharisees said, "I'm sorry" to their needy parent "I can't help you because what I have that could have helped you is dedicated to God, it's corban." 

The GB/Watchtower/Bethel made up a rule so that they don't have to help. The "I'm neutral" cop-out gets used  in congregational issues where a mature person could have helped someone in need but chose instead to let their love go cold.

5 minutes ago, boyle said:
14 minutes ago, AudreyAnnaNana said:

I'm trying - heaven is perfect and it's close - but I can't make anybody open their eyes, little kitten, until that person is ready.

Not close enough for us mortals. We can't pretend or have fantasy about it. Well, you could, but it still wouldn't be real.

I wish I could open your eyes. I can't, but there is someone who can. They will be open someday. How beautiful!🤩 (I will remind you in that day how you used to tell me it was just fantasy😆)

7 minutes ago, boyle said:
16 minutes ago, AudreyAnnaNana said:

God's love is perfect. When we walk in the light of His face, the Love from Him, we are in that "prime real estate" place.

His is, not ours. When we walk, we take many false steps. We can't compare ourselves with a perfect being.

Of course, that's why we walk With God.🙂He holds our hand, if we ask Him to. (That's why we have to be like a little kid inside, in our hearts, in order to understand what it's like.)

"Even there your hand would lead me

And your right hand would take hold of me."

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be anxious, for I am your God. I will fortify you, yes, I will help you, I will really hold on to you with my right hand of righteousness."

"For I, Jehovah your God, am grasping your right hand, The One saying to you, ‘Do not be afraid. I will help you."

30 minutes ago, boyle said:
39 minutes ago, AudreyAnnaNana said:

"“You heard that it was said: ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies

If your enemy tells you to jump off a high mountain, you're going to do it and love that person until you reach your certain death.

Now, you know that's not true, @boyle! I love the GB and the elder body, but when the GB and the elder body tell me to do all kinds of stupid unscriptural things then I won't listen!😆

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.