The World News Media

Creation-Evolution-Creative Days-Age of the Earth-Humanoid Fossils-Great Flood

Arauna

In any case I've found that most ardent atheists fall into one or more of the following categories:

1. They had a bad reaction to religion and they're mad.

2. They have desires to do corrupt stuff, religion tells them to knock it off, and they don't want to.

3. They have daddy issues.

"God doesn't exist and I hate him!" 

• Views 20.3k
  • Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm making a catch-all place for the discussions on these topics that were currently under different topics/subjects. As I move old posts into this new topic, the oldest ones will appear to identify t

On Whether Noah's Flood Is Physically Possible Consider the amount of water needed to flood the entire earth to a depth sufficient to cover the highest mountains. What depth would that be? T

This helped me to see the source of Alan’s enmity towards me. It is pure envy.

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, xero said:

W/o abiogenesis, there's nothing to work with. 

As I have explained to various people many times: The Theory of Evolution does not include Abiogenesis.

Abiogenesis, if it happened at all, is an entirely separate subject. I, along with most competent scientists, are agnostic on the subject. Darwin himself had the same view. James Tour was arguing against a straw man in his lecture.

Many competent scientists believe in some sort of deity -- not necessarily the God of the Bible -- that created the universe such that it had within its structure the ability to evolve life. Others feel that some sort of deistic god actively created life and then mucked about with life forms in such a way as to make it look like it evolved. No matter -- the fossil record and genetics prove that some sort of evolution has occurred over some 4 billion years. Only Young-Earth Creationists and related idiots dispute this -- not on scientific but religious grounds.

18 minutes ago, Arauna said:

Yes - the scientist in the video says there are many claims to this effect but it is false... watch the video.  It is easy to put it on paper and even claim it in publications but in real life one runs into too  many problems.

You missed my point: I actually created life as part of my final exam.

Just now, AlanF said:

As I have explained to various people many times: The Theory of Evolution does not include Abiogenesis.

Abiogenesis, if it happened at all, is an entirely separate subject. I, along with most competent scientists, are agnostic on the subject. Darwin himself had the same view. James Tour was arguing against a straw man in his lecture.

Many competent scientists believe in some sort of deity -- not necessarily the God of the Bible -- that created the universe such that it had within its structure the ability to evolve life. Others feel that some sort of deistic god actively created life and then mucked about with life forms in such a way as to make it look like it evolved. No matter -- the fossil record and genetics prove that some sort of evolution has occurred over some 4 billion years. Only Young-Earth Creationists and related idiots dispute this -- not on scientific but religious grounds.

I see that you refuse to concede the point amply made that w/o abiogenesis - no evolution of any kind can take place.

12 minutes ago, xero said:

You must like pizza.

Stupid answers don't address the fact that these passages confirm that the Bible is not The Word of God -- unless God thinks the earth is flat and shaped like a pizza.

Try again.

9 minutes ago, xero said:

It basically says:

1. It took statements out of context

2. Some of the people who were quoted also had some weird ideas

3. Having thus demonstrated this, we don't have to go any further, dear reader.

The essay shows far more than that -- which you'd understand if you actually read it.

It shows that Watchtower writers will lie and generally distort source references to support their supposedly Bible-based traditions. They do this with other subjects as well.

Since Watchtower leaders claim to speak in God's name, but have demonstrably said false things in God's name, they are by definition false prophets and should not be listened to.

5 minutes ago, Arauna said:

Great experience!

What is shows is that it's more of a religion to people who'd you'd imagine would know. They all assume, that someone in the next department has the data, and besides, they aren't religious nuts and they also want tenure, so it's pretty much just salute the evolution flag and move on. Believing in it or not has nothing to do with the majority of productive working scientists and technicians. In fact this is, to me where ID has shone. It sees design, and where others thought "Junk DNA!" - not so fast scooter!...Turns out this DNA has a function. Appendix? Nope - it too has a function during embryonic development and later. But had one simply viewed it through the lens of the evolutionary world view (where one would expect stops and starts and dead ends) one would have stopped looking. No. The whole history of science progressed because of looking at the world as being designed.

Just now, AlanF said:

The essay shows far more than that -- which you'd understand if you actually read it.

It shows that Watchtower writers will lie and generally distort source references to support their supposedly Bible-based traditions. They do this with other subjects as well.

Since Watchtower leaders claim to speak in God's name, but have demonstrably said false things in God's name, they are by definition false prophets and should not be listened to.

You really are invested in this. What do you plan on doing to wrestle the bulk of the planet away from their delusions? Tell me you have a plan.

4 minutes ago, AlanF said:

Sweet! Now I don't have to study it. You know you could probably make a living out of this if you put your mind to it.

11 minutes ago, xero said:

In any case I've found that most ardent atheists fall into one or more of the following categories:

1. They had a bad reaction to religion and they're mad.

2. They have desires to do corrupt stuff, religion tells them to knock it off, and they don't want to.

3. They have daddy issues.

"God doesn't exist and I hate him!" 

Mostly wrong. Your ideas obviously don't come from talking with real atheists, but only what your religious prejudices influence you to think.

You don't even realize that your last statement makes no sense: one cannot hate what one does not believe exists. I don't hate Santa Claus.

For those like me, raised as JWs or in some other sort of fanatical religion, realization that their religious leaders are incorrigible liars often lead inexorably to questioning the existence of God, or of any gods. Eventually they realize that there is no actual evidence for any gods. Note that the Argument From Ignorance is not an actual argument.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.