The World News Media

The path of the righteous is like the bright morning light

ComfortMyPeople

This is my question: what photo bellow best represents the meaning of Pro 4:18, "A" or "B"?

A)   Oh, no, this picture doesn't represent our normal use of Pro. 4:18. This, apparently, better fits with Eph. 4:24 and the new personality transformation.

B) This is, with total security, our quickest choice! The photo represents the gradual increase in knowledge about the God's purposes and his word.

But, this is my question. What is in first and foremost place the real meaning of this Proverb?

The background in our literature.

There is a lot of "back" in the timeline. This is the first reference I've found in our publications in the use of Pro.4:18

Zion’s Watch Tower, July 1879, article "ON INTERPRETATION" page 25, right column, 2nd paragraph

Follows part of the article, bold letters are mine======================================

"The path of the just is a shining light that shineth more and more unto the perfect day." Pro. iv. 18. Many do not understand how the Bible could be so written as to remain dark for a time, and then gradually unfold its truth as a burning lump..."

End of quotation=================================================

And, going to the other side, one of the most recent utilization. And please, observe the emphasis added (not in the original) for a later explanation.

*** w11 7/15 pp. 29-30 par. 7 God’s Rest—Have You Entered Into It? ***

Follows part of the article======================================

7 Many of us can quote Proverbs 4:18 from memory: “The path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established.” That means that our conduct and our understanding of God’s purposes will improve over time.

End of quotation=================================================

The Bible Context

Well, according the same article I quoted in other post -http://www.theworldnewsmedia.org/topic/28423-the-spotlight-effect-and-the-extended-applications/#comment-36450 - (w91 8/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers) Proverbs 4:18 is also “part of a group of verses”, and this fact sheds much light about our quest.

Follows part of Pro. 4:10-27:

Listen, my son, and accept my sayings,

And the years of your life will be many.

11 I will instruct you in the way of wisdom;

I will lead you in the tracks of uprightness.

12 When you walk, your steps will not be hindered;

And if you run, you will not stumble.

[…]

14 Do not enter the path of the wicked,

And do not walk in the way of evil men.

15 Shun it, do not take it;

Turn away from it, and pass it by.

[…]

17 They feed themselves with the bread of wickedness,

And they drink the wine of violence.

18 But the path of the righteous is like the bright morning light

That grows brighter and brighter until full daylight.

19 The way of the wicked is like the darkness;

They do not know what makes them stumble.

[…]

25 Your eyes should look straight ahead,

Yes, fix your gaze straight ahead of you.

26 Smooth out the course of your feet,

And all your ways will be sure.

27 Do not incline to the right or the left.

Turn your feet away from what is bad.

Didn’t you easily perceive the same train on thought? A father given counsel to his son about the ways, the paths to avoid and the tracks, the steps to follow. And, regarding our verse under scrutiny, it emerges the same idea that in the rest of the context, as would be expected. The father (Jehovah/Solomon) is saying to his son (ourselves) If you choose the bad way, your life would convert in a dark experience but, if you follow my advices, your path, life, track, way… each day will be brighter and brighter.

The Basic meaning, in its own context

It is the reason I’ve emphasized the quote in the Watchtower above (w11 7/15 pp. 29-30): “That means that our conduct and our understanding of God’s purposes will improve over time.” Have you noticed the “our conduct … will improve”? This is the basic and real meaning of the verse. And this idea is what I’ve tried to represent with my picture “B”. A man whose life is a complete disaster, who lives in darkness, as he learns the truth and makes changes in his behavior, his way, path, tracks gets more and more brighter.

(Digression. I suppose JW Insider as a former graphic designer will smile sympathetic seeing my ‘art’)

The problems with the explanation in the Watchtower article I’ve just quoted are, in my opinion, two. First, how is supposed the readers of the magazine, mainly JW, could grasp the basic idea of the verse, when during more than a century, once and again, hundreds of times, and also in the same sentence occurs the extended application, “gradual improve in knowledge of God’s purposes”. Second: Why on earth is the basis for this extended application? I think, quoting brother Splane in 2015 October meeting, this is another of our cherished verses, with its concomitant extended explanation.

Alternatives

Are there any alternatives without this stretching of the context? Let me share two that show the gradualness of our understanding of the Bible and the chance to make mistakes.

First, Daniel (11 and 12).

(Daniel 11:33) “And those having insight among the people will impart understanding to the many” (Daniel 12:4) “Many will rove about, and the true knowledge will become abundant.”

First, we noticed there is a people (not persons at home reading and interpreting the scriptures). Secondly, there are a group with more insight, and, consequently, have the capacity to teach the people. Finally, the mechanism, the gradualness: will rove about to obtain the true knowledge.

Regarding this last idea, I wish to include some quotes from scholars (http://biblehub.com/commentaries/daniel/12-4.htm). The emphases are mine.

Benson Commentary:

Many shall run to and fro — Many shall diligently search into these prophecies, and make use of all the means in their power to arrive at a true knowledge of them; shall improve all opportunities of getting their mistakes rectified, their doubts resolved, and their acquaintance with divine things in general, and with these and the other prophecies of God’s word in particular, improved and perfected.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

run to and fro—not referring to the modern rapidity of locomotion, as some think, nor to Christian missionaries going about to preach the Gospel to the world at large [Barnes], which the context scarcely admits; but, whereas now but few care for this prophecy of God, "at the time of the end," that is, near its fulfilment, "many shall run to and fro," that is, scrutinize it, running through every page. Compare Hab 2:2 [Calvin]: it is thereby that "the knowledge (namely, of God's purposes as revealed in prophecy) shall be increased." This is probably being now fulfilled.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased; that is, towards the end of the time appointed, many persons will be stirred up to inquire into these things delivered in this book, and will spare no pains or cost to get knowledge of them; will read and study the Scriptures, and meditate on them; compare one passage with another; spiritual things with spiritual, in order to obtain the mind of Christ; will peruse carefully the writings of such who have gone before them, who have attempted anything of this kind; and will go far and near to converse with persons that have any understanding of such things: and by such means, with the blessing of God upon them, the knowledge of this book of prophecy will be increased; and things will appear plainer the nearer the accomplishment of them is;

Conclusions about Daniel 11 and 12

“To rove about.” Not going straight. To go ahead, then back, to left, to right. Did the angel tell to Daniel that, in the last days, new revelations from heaven will occur? No. Perhaps some angelical visit? Neither. Instead, it would be a process of trial and error, because to study implies learning, make changes to correct errors. What would be, in short, according Daniel 11 and 12, the way those persons with more “insight” will teach others? Trying, these with more insight, to understand better what to teach. And from these expressions the only conclusion is to accept the necessity of changes and improvements. And the same idea seems that the commentators above quoted agree.

Secondly, Paul’s example.

Paul is credited “of receiving such extraordinary revelations.” (2Cor.12:7). But he himself, in the days of miraculous powers, what recognize about his understanding of the God’s purposes?

Emphasis and comments added. (1 Corinthians 13:9-12) “For we [me also] have partial knowledge and we prophesy [or, teach] partially, 10 but when what is complete comes, what is partial will be done away with. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, to think as a child, to reason as a child [I make mistakes as a child]; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a child. 12 For now we see in hazy outline [not clear] by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face-to-face. At present [despite my revelations] I know partially, but then I will know accurately [when in front, face-to-face to God]

Accordingly, it-1 p. 801 says “Comparing the understanding of God’s purpose had by the early Christian congregation with the fuller understanding to be had upon receiving their heavenly reward, and then coming to comprehend the divine purpose in its entirety as prophecy is fulfilled, the apostle Paul said: “For at present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face to face”

Well, the apostle, humbly, recognizes that only when face-to-face to God is when everything would become crystal clear. Why ourselves were going to be more than him? Why to expect from the steward class (Lu.12:42) more than Paul? Grant the brothers on charge of teaching to the brotherhood the same “partial” knowledge than Paul, until they, with Paul, go to heaven.

pro418.png

morning_light.jpg

• Views 977
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my question: what photo bellow best represents the meaning of Pro 4:18, "A" or "B"? A)   Oh, no, this picture doesn't represent our normal use of Pro. 4:18. This, apparently, better fits

Agree. The pictures make a good point. They enhance the meaning. His path in life is clearer with the light of God's word.   I understand you are saying this is the basic meaning of the passage.

Posted Images