The World News Media

Is it ok to boast?

Matthew9969

@TrueTomHarley and @Matthew9969. I got a little off topic and forgot that my original point was going to be about the once-common claim that we are the only religion that gives TRUE charity.

I know very personally that individuals have been counseled about giving to various charities, especially when they didn't realize the religious or political nature of some charities. If you suspect that your car might be on the verge of having more troubles than it's worth, but it still is worth several thousand in the "blue book" you might hear about a charity that gives "sight to the blind" or something like that and give it to the charity for a $5,000 receipt that you can use on your taxes. But one such charity has taken in millions of dollars by putting these cars up for auction and creating large-print "Old Testament" Bibles to send to people in Israel with poor eyesight. This is not a bad thing in itself, but one such charity apparently made millions for the family members in Brooklyn, NY who were involved, and they had not been able to provide proof that they ever sent more than ONE of these large-print Bibles. And charity scams became much more common again, especially bursting onto the scene again in 2008/9 with the great recession. But they have always been a part of the charity scene.

I don't think we are wrong to point this out, although we don't go out of our way to denigrate charities. There was a time when we did. For years, the Watchtower could not mention charities without highlighting bad examples. The farther back you go toward the 1940's the more common this theme was. For example, here are some excerpts from an older Watchtower:

*** w50 12/15 pp. 505-507 Religious Charity versus Good Works ***

• EVERY year hundreds of millions of dollars are contributed by the public to what are termed reputable, legitimate and worthy charities, many of which are sponsored by religious organizations. The question is, Should true Christians, who are under the godly commandments to do good, contribute to these supposedly humanitarian money-raising schemes?
  • . . . But the question was, What was he going to do with what he had? How was he to use his wealth? Said Jesus: ‘If you give to the poor you will have treasure in heaven, provided you come and follow me.’ Thus it becomes clear that donating to charitable causes as a philanthropist is of no value in God’s sight unless one goes farther and becomes a true footstep follower of Jesus. It also appears that the possession of wealth is in itself of no particular harm. The question is, How is that wealth used? If you are rich in this world’s goods will you do what Jesus said? Are you willing to give up your material wealth and follow the course Jesus did, work in the interests of the poor and with the Kingdom message comfort those who mourn?
  • . . . A blind beggar, sitting beside the road, cried out as Jesus passed by, “Have mercy on me.” Now, what did Jesus do, reach down and give the poor fellow a couple of Roman coins for a crust of bread? No, not at all. He gave him a far more valuable gift in restoring his eyesight! (Mark 10:46-52; Matt. 20:30-34; Luke 18:35-43) Jesus’ “charity” was not measured out in money to religious organizations for questionable distribution. . . . To the poor and downtrodden he untiringly preached the good news about God’s kingdom.—Matt. 11:5; Luke 7:22; 4:18.
  • The apostles Peter and John followed a similar course when they came upon a poor cripple who requested a donation. “Peter said: ‘Silver and gold I do not possess, but what I do have is what I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, walk!’ With that he took hold of him by the right hand and raised him up. Instantly the soles of his feet and his ankle bones were made firm, and, leaping up, he stood up and began walking, and he entered with them into the temple, walking and leaping and praising God.”—Acts 3:1-8, NW.
  • GOOD WORKS, NOT ADVERTISED CHARITY The gaudy practice today of bestowing honor and praise on heavy contributors to charity drives is directly opposed to Jesus’ counsel. “But take care not to do your good deeds in public for people to see, for, if you do, you will get no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you are going to give to charity, do not blow a trumpet before yourself, as the hypocrites do, in the synagogues and the streets, to make people praise them. I tell you, that is all the reward they will get! But when you give to charity, your own left hand must not know what your right hand is doing, so that your charity may be secret, and your Father who sees what is secret will reward you.”—Matt. 6:1-4, AT.
  • Judas Iscariot, one of those hypocrites that liked to make a show of his generosity, well represented those today that criticize Jehovah’s witnesses for not building hospitals, setting up food kitchens in slum areas. Such Judaslike ones announce with a blare of horns their personal gifts of mercy to the poor.
  • The people have been robbed and beaten and left half-dead by the ruling elements of this world, just like the “certain man” that Jesus told about who fell among robbers on his way down to Jericho. The Catholic, Protestant and Jewish religionists have observed the spiritual condition of these poor people but have steered clear of them, held aloof and passed them by on the opposite side of the road. Jehovah’s witnesses, on the other hand, like good Samaritans, have searched out these spiritually sick, maimed and half-starved people and, when they were found, have bound up their wounds, have fed them and cared for their needs.—Luke 10:29-37.
  • It is no secret, many so-called “charity” organizations operate a fraud and racket. For example, the New York Times, September 6, 1950, carried an account of how certain “religious charitable organizations” operating in Brooklyn, New York, are giving the poor only 15 per cent of the money they beg from the public. The other 85 per cent goes for what they call “overhead” expense. God’s faithful people cannot afford to donate to such organizations. They must use what they have to preach this gospel of the established Kingdom for the benefit of the poor everywhere, as commanded.—Matt. 24:14.
  • It takes much time, energy and money to carry out this divine command, but Jehovah’s witnesses are happy to use their substance to do it. Investing their money in Bibles and other life-giving literature, they take these to the people at great personal expense. But this is really a sound investment on behalf of the poor, for by so doing Jehovah’s witnesses are storing up treasures in heaven and helping others to do the same thing. And just as the ancient brethren of Macedonia and Achaia contributed material things for their needy brethren at Jerusalem, so also do Jehovah’s witnesses. (Rom. 15:25, 26; Gal. 2:10) All of these things are good works done out of love for and to the honor of Jehovah God.

I can't say that the above article says anything that is specifically wrong, but it does focus on how giving to charities is not TRUE charity in the way that our "good works" are true charity. Yet, there were many Bible verses that emphasized that good works actually referred to charitable giving alone, and NOT preaching the good news, which is a different, but necessary, type of giving. Even the parable of the good Samaritan had been re-explained (in separate Watchtower articles) so that it only applied to spiritual giving, not physical giving.

I know this wasn't the theme of this particular topic, but it's a chance to make a scriptural point. Too often, we feel that our "good works" or "fine works" refer to the "public declaration of our hope," (Heb 10:23) the preaching of the "good news of the kingdom." (Mt 24:14) But these are separate from one of the primary reasons that we should be meeting together:

• (Hebrews 10:24, 25) 24 And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, 25 not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you see the day drawing near.

The "fine works" that we meet together to incite and encourage one another to do is the same phrase as "good works" elsewhere in the scriptures, and it refers to charitable actions and charitable activities. It's easy to lose sight of this if we think it means "preaching the good news."

• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The WTBTS on a regular basis boast of how many of them there are, how many hours they work, how they are the only ones to do this or that. They really really like to boast of themselves, even speak mo

In all my years of discussions with people of all faiths, it is only the Joe's who constantly remind everyone of how many of them there are, how many people show up at the memorial, how many hours the

I take it then that those verses don't apply to the Jehovahs Witnesses? It is ok for them to boast?

Guest J.R. Ewing
11 hours ago, Witness said:

The Beast/Watchtower boasts of using scriptures as weaponry; which you already know as the “silver sword”.  However they twist the scriptures,

How can you be sure, this statement can't be stipulated, as meaning, yourself?

Guest J.R. Ewing

Are you reflecting on a Ponzi scheme or fraud by the Watchtower? Do, you have “proof” of this slanderous claim? Which administration was it under, when this allegedly happened? I understand the reason you were asked to leave the Bethel house, but shouldering fabrication is even beneath an opposer.

Could it be? people, haven’t a clue, how the Watchtower “invest” it’s contribution to yield a better return for the purpose of continuing the daily operations, you, yourself should be aware of, unless, the blind eye seeks only to indulge the separatist. How would one run an organization with your infinite wisdom, operate without any monetary funds?

Are you now “complaining” about the contributions?

Are you now “complaining” about how the Watchtower operates?

Now, The giving of time! I don’t believe anyone mentioned preaching work as being charitable, since the time given is to be done, hold heartedly, with our hearts filled with God’s Holy Spirit by faith. But, what if a Witness gives a street peddler change out of sympathy. Does that hypothetical “combine” what one perceives as charitable? Good deed? Or Fine Works?

Then how would one enlighten oneself with the following:

1 Corinthians 13:1-3New International Version (NIV)

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Galatians 6:10

So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

Acts 6:1-4

Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving of food. So, the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables. "Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task. "But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."

21 hours ago, JW Insider said:

I got a little off topic and forgot that my original point was going to be about the once-common claim that we are the only religion that gives TRUE charity.

Shouldn't you be sniffing under a pyramid about now? Your week at the museum is not yet up.

Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you have to dis him at every opportunity. There was a time when we could barely speak of churches without trashing them, but it is less so today. No longer are we attempting to break their stranglehold on public thought. That was done long ago. It is true that we hardly praise them for their charitable works but neither do we down them, unless there is obvious hypocrisy about.

Whenever I am at a door and the subject comes up, I like to acknowledge charitable works people may be doing, whether through their church or not. There are hungry people. How can it not be a good thing to feed them? Moreover, we don't do it - no one can do everything. .So it is a good thing that someone else does.

At another time - it needn't be right then - one can say that the 'problem' arises when churches do such works instead of the ones they are primarily assigned. If they do it in addition to, it is excellent and praiseworthy. But almost always, it is instead of. It is the illustration given that you hire someone to re-roof your house and he paints it instead. True, it did need painting, but that is beside the point. 

But you don't have to state that from the get-go. Better to build bridges by acknowledging good works. Whenever I run across a clergyman, I ask him to describe his day. I don't just assume he does nothing. I invite him to describe what he does do. When he takes me up on it, we have some good conversations - the beginnings of who knows what? - and he is always able to describe a very active life.

Many clergymen of long ago had much free time and used it to advance other pursuits - sometimes  in science. Gregor Mendel comes to mind. They have less free time today. They keep their nose in the job, as is true with almost every line of work today. The days of the Renaissance Man passed long ago.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.