The World News Media

Your favorite food from your region.

Matthew9969

So last November I spent 2 weeks in Israel and got to enjoy several of their favorite foods and food traditions in the region. So since some of us live in different countries I thought it would be cool if we shared our countries favorite foods. I like to learn other cultures so me being a foodie like to make the foods from other cultures or countries. My latest attempts were making Halva, Tzatziki sauce, Gyro, etc. I've already cooked mexican/spanish food, and Italian food and enjoy cooking those. But I have yet to try cooking other stuff And I enjoy cooking traditional recipies, so I'd love to read traditional recipes from your homelands or places you have visited. I really want to keep this thread non religious...and please no cannibalism recipe's 🙃

• Views 231
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on people, we can have disdain for one another, but once in a while can't you all just put aside differences and insults and post something positive, upbuilding and dang it....we all love food! If Jehovah didn't provide food we'd be...But Jehovah and Jesus through their love gave us the ability to love food, taste and messyness of loving food. So can we all put aside our differences and just share what your favorite food is from your region. It's not a religious debate, or theological debate, just what is your favorite and/or most popular in your country?

Homemade hand-tossed pizza topped with sausage, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and spinach

Brownies with extra chocolate chips

Strawberry shortcake made with homemade biscuits and fresh whipped cream

Broiled salmon with a side of buttered kale and jasmine rice

Those are a few of the yummy things we like to eat around here.😊

(I haven't had a good gyro w/tzatziki sauce for a long time, mmm!)

Also enjoyed trying a Congolese friend's fufu and fish with peanut sauce and collard greens, and another friend from China who made a special recipe from her village of mung-bean stuffed pancake. 

So many yummy recipes. It will be interesting to see what others share.

I've made one with jalapenos, probably a little similar to the sw roasted chilis - and also made the pineapple with ham pizza, that's yummy too. 

Recently tried making chocolate frosted custard filled cream puffs with french pastry (it sounds like it's called "shoe" pastry to an American ear).

What kinds of foods did you eat in Israel?

Culturally, I primarily eat Caribbean and Latin based food, often times, it is Belizean food since my youth in the 90s, granted, that was all you can eat while island bound. Outside of that, Mediterranean Food as well as French and Italian cuisines, rarely do I eat American based food. I tend to say away from certain things that has artificial salts, sugars and false oils that aren't cold pressed. In the past, I had tried African, Russian and other European food, such as Sauerbraten. So there is a variety of things I tried.

I tend to fast for long hours before eating anything, so the meals are big, but semi-fasting, 2 small to mid meals. Those calories are also burnt, more of it than I eat.

That being said, it is good to learn some recipes for some of these dishes, for home cook meals are the best, mainly when it comes to places that serve the food that live up to that notion, which greatly exceeds that of any processed and rushed.

On 2/24/2023 at 8:24 PM, AnnaNana said:

I've made one with jalapenos, probably a little similar to the sw roasted chilis - and also made the pineapple with ham pizza, that's yummy too. 

Recently tried making chocolate frosted custard filled cream puffs with french pastry (it sounds like it's called "shoe" pastry to an American ear).

What kinds of foods did you eat in Israel?

My favorite in Israel was the way they cooked the lamb, I also liked the middle eastern comparison to the west hush puppie, falafal, which my paster called the awfuluful, I loved it though. And the fish....oh my gosh the fish as sooooooooooogood. All in all I loved how there was a wide spread of veggies, dips as parts of any meal. 

I'd love to make what us americans call 'cream puffs'. But with the high altitude I live in pastry doesn't puff up as much. 

Mine didn't puff up that great either - I wish I could blame it on the altitude, but I think it was "operator error"! (I'm not really a pastry chef, lol.) They still tasted good though.

I've only had falafel once and the way it was made I think I'd probably agree with your pastor on the name! Maybe I'd like it better made a different way. Was it how they cooked the fish or the specific kinds of fish/variety that made it so good? I didn't know they ate hush puppies there, I've only had them down south with fried fish. Lamb is really good, mmm. What kinds of vegetables were common? 

(I just googled "falafel" and I see it is shaped like hush puppies and that's what you meant...for some reason I had mixed it up with a quinoa-like dish I'd tried before and wasn't my favorite. So actually I haven't tried falafel, but I think I would like it - chickpeas are yummy. There are quite a few recipes online and it looks fairly easy to make, I think I might try it sometime on pita bread with cucumbers, thank you for the recommendation😊)

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.