The World News Media

What does it mean to keep testing whether you are in the faith?

io.porog

• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

w08 7/15, p. 28 "To 'test whether we are in the faith,' we have to measure our conduct in the light of what we learn from the Bible. To 'prove what we ourselves are,' we have to evaluate the leve

Hi Holly, I thought you might be interested in this article concerning new changes outlined in the 11/2016 Watchtower. here Jesus is barely mentioned throughout the magazine.  There are quo

w08 7/15, p. 28

"To 'test whether we are in the faith,' we have to measure our conduct in the light of what we learn from the Bible. To 'prove what we ourselves are,' we have to evaluate the level of our spirituality, including the sharpness of our "perceptive powers" and the extent of our works of faith. (Heb. 5:14; Jas. 1:22-25) By applying Paul's sound advice, we can keep on walking in the way of the truth."

I think this Watchtower (based on the Bible) perfectly answers your questions.

• 4 months later...

Here is another WT quote:

“The faith” is the body of Christian beliefs revealed in the Bible. If our words and actions match those beliefs, then we pass the test and show that we are“in the faith.” Of course, we must also compare our lives with the entire scope of Christian teaching. We cannot pick and choose which parts we will follow.—Jas. 2:10, 11. w/14/3/15  pp 12-16

I’m wondering why the NWT says, “that Jesus Christ is in union with you”.  Up to 50 other translations that I’ve seen say, “that Jesus Christ is in you”.  Have the translators added the word “union”?  Yes, they did.  I checked the Watchtower word for word Greek Interlinear and it isn’t there.  So, why would this be, and does it matter?  If I compare the NWT with the NKJV…

"Keep testing whether you are in the faith; keep proving what you yourselves are. Or do you not recognize that Jesus Christ is in union with you? Unless you are disapproved".

“Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? —unless indeed you are disqualified.” NKJV

...I do see a subtle yet suggestive connotation in the NWT.  Jesus Christ our Savior is seen at more of an elementary, or eye level, and not necessarily the spiritual. The NKJV shows the spiritual power of Christ, by his choosing to reside within us, which is the submitting of ourselves to his authority. The outline of Christ’s authority in the NWT doesn’t appear as well marked as the NKJV, but this is just my opinion.

Having the faith, or being in the faith, is focused on Jesus being within us.  We can fail at being “qualified” to experience this, according to the scripture.  Paul invited his listeners to find his own confidence of being in Christ, as sure (2 Cor 13:6)   2 Cor 13:3 explains why:

since you seek proof that Christ is speaking in me. He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful among you.”

The bible does give us direction on how to pass this test, which is being “rooted and grounded in love”, accepting the power of Holy Spirit, and not “shifting” our understanding of what the bible hope is.

“ if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.”  Col 1:23 (Eph 3:17,19,20; 4:13; John 14:23; Rom 8:10,9)

Paul went on to say, “For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth.”  2 Cor 13:8

By keeping our focusing on Christ as truth, any of our actions against this truth would cause us to fail the test.  John 14:6

Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoicein hope of the glory of God.”  Rom 5:2 

If Christ is our focus, our total focus, which allows us to pass this test of being in the faith, and in Christ, where do the following words fit? 

Faith helps us to see Jehovah as the one directing his earthly organization  W 01/6/15  pp 18-23

To survive, we must keep our faith strong and loyally worship Jehovah with his organization. ws14 5/15 pp. 21-26

Their faith in and love for Jehovah and his organization were to be put to the test. yb09 pp. 142-255

How has reviewing the account of Korah strengthened your faith in Jehovah’s visible organization? w02 8/1 pp. 9-14

Is it even possible to see the importance of the test of being in the faith, and in Jesus Christ, in those quotes?  How did our faith in Christ and ultimately in the Father broaden to include an organization, something devised by man?  Where is Jesus in these three quotes?  It is said, “to survive” one must keep faith in the organization.  Did Jesus teach this? Luke 10:25-28; John 14:6; 6:35,51; 7:38   Does the gospel say this?  John 1:4; 2 Pet 1:3; Col 3:3; Rom 5:21, etc. 

Has there been a shift in the “entire scope of Christian teaching” – words mentioned in the WT quote above?  Has the WT picked through the gospel and chose its own parts to follow? Could this not be considered corroding the testing of one’s faith by bringing into view an organization that one must rely on, and have faith in, instead of the pure hope in Christ, which is what all the apostles needed?  Is this how one gauges whether they are in the faith, by putting one’s hope in what men promise, and not Jesus Christ?  And if someone in the organization desires to pass the test of whether they are in the faith, could they be expelled for solidly placing their faith in Christ, as Paul did, and not in any organization?

Col 1:23 says in order to continue in the faith we cannot shift away from the “hope of the gospel which you had heard”.  Col 1:23  If we do, we have failed the test and Christ is not in us.  We must continue in the same hope that Paul spoke of so long ago. 

“For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel.  For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.”  Gal 1:11,12 

“For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servantof Christ  Gal 1:10 

“I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.”  Gal 1:6,7 

“But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.” Gal 1:8 

“There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call—  one Lord, one faith, one baptism”  Eph 4:4,5

http://4womaninthewilderness.blogspot.com/2014/12/it-is-marvelous-in-our-eyes.html

On 3/17/2016 at 8:05 PM, Mr_VHC@WNF said:

2 Corinthians 13: 5 "Keep testing whether you are in the faith; keep proving what you yourselves are. Or do you not recognize that Jesus Christ is in union with you? Unless you are disapproved".

Good question, Mr V ;)

21 hours ago, Witness said:

Here is another WT quote:

“The faith” is the body of Christian beliefs revealed in the Bible. If our words and actions match those beliefs, then we pass the test and show that we are“in the faith.” Of course, we must also compare our lives with the entire scope of Christian teaching. We cannot pick and choose which parts we will follow.—Jas. 2:10, 11. w/14/3/15  pp 12-16

And good quote, Witness.

The importance of this scripture to JWs becomes evident when considering their history of beliefs they thought were revealed in the Bible but turned out not to be after all, and those beliefs were re-examined and adjusted.  

For instance, at one time they believed the Bible revealed organ transplants were cannibalism and were forbidden by God. However, further testing of this belief caused them to adjust their thinking about it and they realized God did not consider it cannibalism.  It was the same with vasectomies and tubal ligations, believed at one time to be the mutilation that God forbids, but further testing of their beliefs with what the Bible reveals showed them it was not mutilation at all, but responsible planning.

A more recent adjustment has been the identity and appointment of the faithful slave.  At one time they believed the faithful slave was just one person, but testing of this belief brought them to the conclusion that the Bible revealed all of the 144,000 should be viewed as the faithful slave,  Further testing has revealed that to be in need of adjustment.  Let's hope that further testing will reveal to them that all Christians are called upon to be faithful and wise servants.

Hi Holly, I thought you might be interested in this article concerning new changes outlined in the 11/2016 Watchtower.

here

Jesus is barely mentioned throughout the magazine.  There are quotes such as this one, which is particularly troubling:

Love for God and neighbor and the urgency of the Kingdom-preaching work move God’s people “to come forward . . . with a gift in hand for Jehovah” by making voluntary donations. How thrilling it is to “honor Jehovah with [our] valuable things” and to see how such resources are used faithfully and discreetly to do the greatest work in human history!—Prov. 3:9

Besides guilting one into thinking we show love to our neighbor by supporting a corporation supposedly leading one to life, holding out one’s full palm of earthly valuable things toward the “faithful and discreet slave” contradicts the teachings of Christ.  Didn’t he overturn the tables of the money changers?  Money changers were basically bankers. Obviously, Jesus was not convinced they were faithful or discreet with the people’s money. 

And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business.  When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables.  And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!”  Then His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for Your house has eaten[a] Me up.”  John 2:14-17

Matt 21:12-13 - Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves. ‘”

The use of Prov 3:9 to promote the giving of one’s “valuable things” to the organization is ironic.  The chapter goes on to say,

Happy is the man who finds wisdom,
And the man who gains understanding;
 For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver,
And her gain than fine gold.

She is more precious than rubies,
And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her.

Length of days is in her right hand,
In her left hand riches and honor.
 Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
And all her paths are peace.
 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her,
And happy are all who retain her.  Prov 3:13-18

Wisdom is found in the Word, Jesus Christ, and will further be found in his complete Bride in God’s Kingdom.  This leads us back to where our faith should lie, and where we store our “treasure”, our “valuable things”.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  Matt 6:19-21

Jesus also said,  “Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”  John 6:27

I hope this becomes clear to JWs.  Our heart’s motivation can be either in the faith, in Christ; or we can have faith in an organization already filled with earthly treasures.  We can’t have it both ways.  Matt 6:24

By giving money to the organization, the “money changers” then “sell” their spiritual goods to the hearer.  A spiritual corrupt commerce is evident.  It is an alarming fact that the beasts of Revelation, work together to support such a spiritual fornication.  Rev 13: 11,15,17

Testing whether we are in the faith, in Christ, can be determined by the source of our spiritual sustenance.  Do we procure it free from Christ, or must it be purchased through the organization?

“I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see” Rev 3:18

And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.  Rev 21:6

And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.  Rev 22:17

“Ho! Everyone who thirsts,
Come to the waters;
And you who have no money,
Come, buy and eat.
Yes, come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without price.
Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
And let your soul delight itself in abundance.  Isa 55:1,2

Christ is the bread of life given freely to those who listen.  The Watchtower sells tainted teachings, otherwise known in the bible as wormwood.  Amos 5:7; Jer 23:15; Rev 8:11 

http://4womaninthewilderness.blogspot.com/2014/12/wormwood-armageddon-false-prophet.html

32 minutes ago, Witness said:

Hi Holly, I thought you might be interested in this article concerning new changes outlined in the 11/2016 Watchtower.

here

Jesus is barely mentioned throughout the magazine.  There are quotes such as this one, which is particularly troubling:

Love for God and neighbor and the urgency of the Kingdom-preaching work move God’s people “to come forward . . . with a gift in hand for Jehovah” by making voluntary donations. How thrilling it is to “honor Jehovah with [our] valuable things” and to see how such resources are used faithfully and discreetly to do the greatest work in human history!—Prov. 3:9

Besides guilting one into thinking we show love to our neighbor by supporting a corporation supposedly leading one to life, holding out one’s full palm of earthly valuable things toward the “faithful and discreet slave” contradicts the teachings of Christ.  Didn’t he overturn the tables of the money changers?  Money changers were basically bankers. Obviously, Jesus was not convinced they were faithful or discreet with the people’s money. 

And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business.  When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables.  And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!”  Then His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for Your house has eaten[a] Me up.”  John 2:14-17

Matt 21:12-13 - Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves. ‘”

The use of Prov 3:9 to promote the giving of one’s “valuable things” to the organization is ironic.  The chapter goes on to say,

Happy is the man who finds wisdom,
And the man who gains understanding;
 For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver,
And her gain than fine gold.

She is more precious than rubies,
And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her.

Length of days is in her right hand,
In her left hand riches and honor.
 Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
And all her paths are peace.
 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her,
And happy are all who retain her.  Prov 3:13-18

Wisdom is found in the Word, Jesus Christ, and will further be found in his complete Bride in God’s Kingdom.  This leads us back to where our faith should lie, and where we store our “treasure”, our “valuable things”.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  Matt 6:19-21

Jesus also said,  “Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”  John 6:27

I hope this becomes clear to JWs.  Our heart’s motivation can be either in the faith, in Christ; or we can have faith in an organization already filled with earthly treasures.  We can’t have it both ways.  Matt 6:24

By giving money to the organization, the “money changers” then “sell” their spiritual goods to the hearer.  A spiritual corrupt commerce is evident.  It is an alarming fact that the beasts of Revelation, work together to support such a spiritual fornication.  Rev 13: 11,15,17

Testing whether we are in the faith, in Christ, can be determined by the source of our spiritual sustenance.  Do we procure it free from Christ, or must it be purchased through the organization?

“I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see” Rev 3:18

And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.  Rev 21:6

And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.  Rev 22:17

“Ho! Everyone who thirsts,
Come to the waters;
And you who have no money,
Come, buy and eat.
Yes, come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without price.
Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
And let your soul delight itself in abundance.  Isa 55:1,2

Christ is the bread of life given freely to those who listen.  The Watchtower sells tainted teachings, otherwise known in the bible as wormwood.  Amos 5:7; Jer 23:15; Rev 8:11 

http://4womaninthewilderness.blogspot.com/2014/12/wormwood-armageddon-false-prophet.html

Thank you, Witness!  Yes, I'm very interested......how timely!  Eoin Joyce and I were just discussing the subject of changing beliefs! :)