The World News Media

Jehovah's Witnesses under pressure over handling of sexual abuse claims

Witness

Today's news from the guardian, UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/12/jehovahs-witnesses-under-pressure-over-handling-of-sexual-abuse-claims

Words to the Governing Body:

"I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to settle a dispute between the brothers,  but brother goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers?  To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded?  But you yourselves wrong and defraud—even your own brothers!"  1 Cor 6:5-8

• Views 465
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's news from the guardian, UK: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/12/jehovahs-witnesses-under-pressure-over-handling-of-sexual-abuse-claims Words to the Governing Body: "

Oops. I didn't see you'd already linked to the article before I did.  Another noteworthy comment from it: Rom. 13:3-5 (NLT) - "For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing

25 minutes ago, Witness said:

Today's news from the guardian, UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/12/jehovahs-witnesses-under-pressure-over-handling-of-sexual-abuse-claims

Words to the Governing Body:

"I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to settle a dispute between the brothers,  but brother goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers?  To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded?  But you yourselves wrong and defraud—even your own brothers!"  1 Cor 6:5-8

Hi Witness,

Is the WTS saying its has the right of religious freedom to withhold information about child abuse from the Charity Commission?

The commission, which has the power to investigate how charity trustees handle safeguarding, launched separate inquiries into the Manchester New Moston congregation and the WTBTS, which oversees the nation’s 1,500 congregations and is believed to play a significant role in handling allegations of abuse.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses challenged both inquiries in the courts, arguing that they would breach the trustees’ human right to religious freedom. They also challenged orders to produce documents on how they had handled allegations of sexual abuse in recent years.

This appears to be the case.   The Charity Commission has legal right to inquire the WT's charity status on the grounds of safeguarding the public.  This has been going on for a few years. How WT "rights" play against the legal rights of the Charity Commission and its greater concern  will be interesting to see.  

https://jwvictims.org/the-uk-charity-commission-inquiry-into-jehovahs-witnesses-and-an-open-letter-to-victims/

Oops. I didn't see you'd already linked to the article before I did. :$

Another noteworthy comment from it:

Fay Maxted, chief executive of the Survivors Trust, a national sexual assault charity, said: “These are cases where someone has been sexually violated and had their whole trust in the safety of their religious community blown away.

It’s deeply disappointing that a faith-based organisation appears to be so determined to try and avoid answering questions about its own behaviour

“This is something the Catholics and Church of England have also had to deal with – these big institutions will fight and fight every step of the way.

Rom. 13:3-5 (NLT) - "For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you. The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. But if you are doing wrong, of course you should be afraid, for they have the power to punish you. They are God’s servants, sent for the very purpose of punishing those who do what is wrong. So you must submit to them, not only to avoid punishment, but also to keep a clear conscience." 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.