The World News Media

"This generation." Did Jesus have in mind unbelievers?

HollyW

Matthew 24:32-34 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

"This generation." Did Jesus have in mind unbelievers?

• Views 522
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matthew 24:32-34 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these thi

Thanks, Alexa.   Let me know when you do know.

Thanks, Melinda.  Viewing your example of "my grandmother's generation" as comparable to "this generation" that Jesus mentions, he would be including all people born around that time, believer and unb

1 hour ago, Melinda Mills said:

When one uses the term in everyday speech, one doesn't discriminate, so why would you ask that? If you say 'my grandmother's generation' you think of all people born around that time, and you don't usually think about religion.  So you would see why Jesus did not think to qualify it.

Thanks, Melinda.  Viewing your example of "my grandmother's generation" as comparable to "this generation" that Jesus mentions, he would be including all people born around that time, believer and unbeliever alike.  I'm thinking that may be what Alexa was shooting for, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 3:22 PM, Melinda Mills said:

When one uses the term in everyday speech, one doesn't discriminate, so why would you ask that? If you say 'my grandmother's generation' you think of all people born around that time, and you don't usually think about religion.  So you would see why Jesus did not think to qualify it.

Melinda, you had indicated that Jesus would have had in mind both believers and unbelievers in "this generation".  In view of what you're studying this week in the book, "God's Kingdom Rules", would you care to revise your answer to now exclude unbelievers?

16. "This generation." Did Jesus have in mind unbelievers? No. Consider his audience. Jesus related this prophecy to a few apostles who had "approached him privately." (Matt. 243) The apostles would soon be anointed with holy spirit. Note also the context. Before he spoke about "this generation," Jesus said: "Now learn this illustration from the fig tree: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and sprouts its leaves, you know that summer is near. Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors." Jesus' anointed followers-not unbelievers-would see the things he foretold and would discern their significance, namely, that Jesus "is near at the doors." Therefore, when Jesus spoke of "this generation," he had in mind his anointed followers.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.