The World News Media

Woman sues construction company after electrician working at skyscraper jumped 53 stories to his death and landed on her car

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

The driver of an SUV whose car was left covered in body parts when a suicidal construction worker landed on it after jumping from 53 stories is suing his employers.

Donna Crockett has filed a suit against Turner Construction accusing them of negligence, strict liability for an ultra-hazardous activity and loss of consortium between spouses.

She was kept in hospital for 10 hours after electrician Joseph Sabbatino fell 800ft from the $1billion Wilshire Grand Center in Los Angeles onto her vehicle - and says she cannot get over the horrific scene.

Ms Crockett is now seeking unspecified damages alleging that Turner Construction should have been aware of Sabbatino's condition and were negligent in hiring him.

Turner Construction have not yet commented on the case.

Coroner's lieutenant David Smith earlier confirmed that the 36-year-old's death - on only his second day on the job - was suicide.

Sabbatino's father Vance revealed that his son had a long battle with depression and had been taking medication before his death.

His devastated wife Melken Sabbatino wrote on Facebook after his tragic death that she was 'thinking about my husband. Missing you.' 

Authorities found that the married Jehovah's Witness had removed his helmet and had not been wearing a harness before the fall.

Turner Construction released a statement to say there had been a safety barrier on the 53rd floor to prevents falls, and that the incident had not been work related.

Around 1,000 employees were given the day off following Sabbatino's death.

Horrified witnesses described the moment they saw Sabbatino fall to his death and land on a car below.

James Armstrong III, who had been walking to a nearby bank moments after the fall, said Ms Crockett had been 'hysterical' and waving her hands in the air.

'It's really taken a toll on me, because right now, I'm not strong and right now I am hurting,' Ms Crockett told KTLA.

'It was traumatic, it something that I never thought I would have to see.'

She was taken to hospital after the incident in shock.

Mel Melcon, an LA Times photographer, was on assignment at the building when he noticed the man's body lying 'off the driver's side of the car.'

'It sounded like a bag of cement fell off the edge of the building,' he said.

'No one thought it was a body,' Mr Melcon told his paper. 'We heard no screams.' 

The vehicle escaped major damage but the rear side panel was splattered with blood, officials said.  

After Sabbatino's body hit Donna Crockett's car, she got out and saw 'brain and other internal bodily matter splattered across her vehicle and the surrounding scene', CBS reported.

The suit says Crockett had never before seen a dead body and the experience left her 'shocked, overwhelmed, panicked, distressed and completely distraught.'  

For confidential support in the U.S., call the National Suicide Prevention Line on 1-800-273-8255. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3685865/Woman-sues-construction-company-electrician-working-skyscraper-jumped-53-stories-death-landed-car.html

324F0A1000000578-0-image-a-3_1458264362098.jpg

362F426100000578-3685865-Donna_Crockett_has_filed_a_suit_against_Turner_Construction_accu-m-2_1468324024892.jpg

32571C6500000578-0-Deadly_fall_Joseph_Sabbatino_36_of_Palmdale_was_working_on_the_u-m-5_1458845193244.jpg

• Views 1.8k
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.