The World News Media

Man whips out cellphone camera when he realizes neighborhood Jehovah’s Witness is a convicted sex offender

Jack Ryan

On 8/15/2016 at 11:28 AM, Ann O'Maly said:

What bugged me was that Ivery said the cameraman/neighbor "had it all wrong" when he was asked if he was a convict and on the register.

I would have preferred something along the lines of, "Yes, that's me. I committed this terrible crime and I'm on the sex offender's register for life. I served my time, I repented and became one of Jehovah's Witness. Nevertheless, to allay your and the neighborhood's concerns, not only am I monitored by the authorities, but I have certain restrictions within the congregation, and an elder who knows my background has to accompany me whenever I'm out in field service sharing my faith. If you wish to check with the police, please be my guest. Good day to you, sir." Then with voice lowered, "Psst, and by the way, the more recent allegations against those sisters were never proven." 

I agree, Ann,  The car group definitely missed a witnessing opportunity. If the other fellow in the van who ducked down and put his hands over his ears is the elder who is supposed to accompany convicted sex offenders, he could have come 'round and explained the WT policies and assured Vargas that this man was being carefully monitored by him while out representing the WTS in field service.  Could have had it all on camera, but they shut their car doors and left the neighborhood.

• 3 weeks later...

• Views 2.8k
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure if they are suppose to wear an ankle monitor.  I guess we now need to do background checks to make sure no one has committed felony of child abuse or sexual assault.  We could be in viola

It's also on Vimeo:   

When YouTuber/Redditor Roman Vargas found out that a man named Waymon Chandler Ivery was making the door-to-door rounds as a Jehovah’s Witness in his neighborhood, he got his cellphone camera out and

On 8/14/2016 at 2:23 PM, JaniceM said:

Yes, it is allowable.  However, the issue was whether he is allowed by law as a registered sex offender of minor(s) to put himself in the position where he comes in contact with a minor child, which is often the case if he's going door to door visiting homes.  In most jurisdictions, sex offenders cannot live within so many feet of a school or playground, etc.  In some cases, children of sex offenders are taken out of the home so they will not come in contact with the sex offender(s) even if it's the parent(s).  There is no room for a sex offender to work themselves into a trusting home where a parent would feel comfortable leaving a child alone with them or letting them take the child out of the home for any length of time.

As an example someone with an alcohol problem, cannot be around alcohol for it is too tempting and they can fall back into abusing it.  We all have to remove ourselves from certain tempting situations or things that may stimulate us to commit sin.

So in theory he can never leave his house or walk down the street or go shopping, all of which could put him in the vicinity of children, right?

Plus, if that was me and a kid answered the door, i would take a few steps back and ask if their parents were home. If yes, i would ask for them, if no, i would thank them and walk away.

1 hour ago, Jesus.defender said:

So in theory he can never leave his house or walk down the street or go shopping, all of which could put him in the vicinity of children, right?

Plus, if that was me and a kid answered the door, i would take a few steps back and ask if their parents were home. If yes, i would ask for them, if no, i would thank them and walk away.

Yes, I see what you mean.  I guess it would depend upon the laws or jurisdiction he lives in whether going to the store or walking down the street, he would have to be careful befriending young ones.  I know he would probably not be permitted to regularly walk near a school or playground where children frequent.  I'm not sure about private homes where he may be able to develop a friendship with the householder or children of the household.  The householder would surely need to know to safeguard any minors within the home. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.