The World News Media

Extreme shunning leads to murder/suicide?

Matthew9969

• Views 337
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I will say this, be it murder/suicide, stuff like this is tragic, for it is times like this we must not forget that imperfections reap consequences and unanswered questions.

As for the videos you posted, it is no surprise you use that of opponents of the religion who left out some details to the story itself, I did myself a favor by looking at facts of the story.

https://www.freep.com/videos/news/local/michigan/oakland/2018/02/16/keego-harbor-police-chief-john-fitzgerald-speaks-media-4-found-dead-home/110506376/

NOTE: Tresa Baldas track record isn't always the best, judging by her past works, and each of her works the reaction from those who made comment.

First off the bat, Keehgo Harbor is not an isolated area, in fact, it is quite a populated area, and the religious backgrounds of people in that area differ, especially when one family of the Catholic faith spoke up in this regard, even giving their say:

The Tristanis said in one of their first meetings with Lauren Stuart a few years ago she attempted to recruit them into the Jehovah’s Witnesses. “I said we were Catholics and weren’t interested,” he said. “She accepted the answer and it was the end of that.”

Other comments/quotes:

Darlene and Dennis Buck, who live a block away on Cass Lake Road, said they were enroute home from a trip to northern Michigan when they learned of the murder-suicide. “We have lived here since ’74 and nothing like this has ever happened in our neighborhood — not even close,” said Darlene Buck.

Jackie Tristani said she found it all “scary” – not just the deaths but that something might have been going on in a neighbor’s home without her knowledge. She had tried to get Bethany a job at her workplace and her son knew both Bethany and Steven. There was never any mention or indication of trouble inside the home, she said.

“I would hope that if there was a problem inside there someone would have reached out, we would have tried to help,” she said, her voice quaking. “Maybe we could have done something.

“But you never really know everything there is about your neighbors, do you?”

Aside from that, comments made by others regarding what took place, although not religious persons or make known their religious backgrounds, they did speak up on the matter, and some of them already had known the family were formerly Jehovah's Witnesses, which brings us to the next point.

Second, Lauren Stuart and her family, were formerly Jehovah's Witnesses. For the articles around this story even states it, in addition to testimony of friend. The Stuarts were known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses because they were Evangelizers/Preachers, hence the previous quote/comment regarding people knowing of their former faith. But it is apparent that they were part of the Jehovah's Witnesses 5 years ago (2013), it is unknown as to how long they were one of Jehovah's Witnesses before they left, for even articles state that they left the Jehovah's Witnesses, but according to one neighbor, Joyce Taylor, stating that the family were shunned (excommunicated) because higher education is forbidden by the faith, however, the articles says they left the faith, so the comments of Joyce Taylor is somewhat uncertain because several articles claim that she is blaming religion. Another factor is the fact that prior to the murder-suicide, a family member, relative was the result of the discovery of the deceased family members by having a welfare check done by the police, so apparently excommunication/shunning from a church doesn't stop a family member from contacting someone.I advise you read up on "Police Welfare Checks": https://thelawdictionary.org/article/what-is-a-police-welfare-check/

Lauren had a wonderful and successful husband and 2 college educated children. Lauren herself had a modeling portfolio, and worked at an area gym. What was also brought up is that Lauren's husband, Daniel, was involved in some form of medical business in the Ann Arbor area (Ann Arbor's Center for Integrative Research in Critical Care), for he worked as a Data Solutions Architect.

They also seem to be really cool with the Tristanis, the family of whom Lauren preached to in the past, and quite close, for Lauren was the person to barrow things from them:

The deaths puzzle the Tristanis, who knew Lauren Stuart as a “hard-working” neighbor who could often be seen working in her yard and remodeled the house largely on her own. “She would often come over and borrow tools – a saw, a pickaxe – whatever,” said Tristani. “She was always doing something.”

Neighbors say they rarely saw Dan, but that the kids and Lauren were around often. 

However, neighbor Jackie Tristani says the family were quiet and mostly kept to themselves. 

Third, The police are also aware of the family leaving the faith and or having issues with the faith, but they did not make any comment. As with any murder-suicide situation, apparently a key element to further investigate this tragedy is present.

For the police have said that:

They said Lauren left behind a long suicide note, but would not comment on the details included in that either.

As for Taylor, she said she had Lauren over for tea just a week before her death and nothing seemed unusual. Still, she thinks her friend may have been battling a personal problem that was probably exacerbated by her isolation.

Taylor also said that:

She doesn't know exactly what drove her friend over the edge.

Another quote of her claims which draws speculation:

Joyce says Lauren Stuart confided in her often and most of those conversations had to do with the pain caused by the separation with the church.

"The church, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, they were hog wild after them, just brutal," she said.

She says the church smeared the family's name, accused them of breaking into the church. And it also forbids any family or friends from association with the Stuart family.

There are also some false claims in the story as well as unanswered questions, which is the identical trend with each one read:

For it states that Jehovah's Witnesses banned, which I do not believe such is true because not only they encourage to progress spiritually, but they also encourage one to have a secular trade, which requires education. For one neighbor says that they were excommunicated because the church "bans" going to college and or higher education, however it has been stated that the Stuarts, who already had issue with the church they go to, left on their own, so it is unspecified if Taylor's comment on the matter is even credible.

Another thing is, where did the gun come from? Did they own it before when they were Jehovah's Witnesses, or within the 5 year span of leaving their church? Was it the wife or the husband that owned/bought the gun? Questions like this must have answers, especially with all the gun talk about regulations, laws, and the 2nd amendment (which I have been right about the whole time) that is taking place throughout the United States.

Another factor is the fact that fact she also killed the family dog, which is said to have been found deceased in a bathtub, which is rather telling. But we may get a clue to all this when information and details of the suicide letter is revealed after a thorough investigation.

One can understand where Taylor is coming from, but disrupting a church service isn't the best of things to do, it does no justice for the deceased or the community.

Now we have the suicide letter, but not much information is present for the only thing is that it has been mentioned, and it does exist, whereas the police themselves are in possession of. So we will find out soon about what was going on inside that house.

Lastly, the family seem to have been open to the neighbors, for the article states that most of the family were always around, expect the Father, most likely because he was busy with the type of work he was doing, as mentioned above. Plus it was also revealed that the family kept to themselves, very quite within the community, which has been stated by friends of the family, specifically the Catholic couple.

Other comments/quotes:

Bernadette Strickland, director of the John Casablancas modeling studio in Plymouth, was among those who gave Lauren Stuart a shot at modeling.

"I remember her because she had enrolled in our workshops. She was very nice. She asked a lot of questions," said Strickland, who recalled Lauren Stuart being happy and having a good life.

"She looked like she had a great family and she was very attractive. She kept herself up so well,"  said Strickland, adding she was "very sorry" and shocked to learn of what happened.

New Haven photographer Brittni Beversdorf had similar memories. She said she met Lauren and photographed her in 2012. At the time, she said, Lauren and her husband had  just bought their home in Keego Harbor and Lauren was excited about renovating it herself.

"She was very friendly," Beversdorf said, noting she was "shocked" to learn of the woman's tragic death.

According to interviews with friends, neighbors and employers, Lauren Stuart, after leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses, appeared to be set on making a new life for herself. She contacted modeling agencies and photographers to see whether there was a market for older models like herself. She also worked as a part-time personal trainer at the YMCA in Farmington Hills a few years ago and cleaned houses.

This is how she referred to herself in one online post:  "I love acting and modeling. I am a very passionate person and it reflects in my work. I am adventurous in nature and so I like a wide variety of acting and modeling experiences. I enjoy learning new things especially with good direction. ...  Life is an adventure and my goal is to die knowing I did the things I wanted to do."

Misc:

This murder-suicide is one of the couple murder-suicides that took place in a span of days, for there was quite a few thus far, with the end result being the same, the killing of an one's entire family before the killer turns the gun on themselves. This one is upon the several other family murder-suicides. All of them including one "key" factor which is pretty much obvious.

As of now, this event is still under investigation, and perhaps more details, especially regarding that letter, will be revealed in the coming days. In the end, such things like this is tragic, but it is another thing to pin the blame on something and or someone without all facts and information presented, let alone details that will soon be revealed to us. As for your sources, they need to get their facts straight before they wold pull a Honiton and or an Irvington claim and start pointing figures without further details.

This whole story its extremely sad. It's a tragedy. When something like this happens, people want to know why, and when they feel there is something they can blame, they do. However, blaming a religion (that they voluntarily left) is only an emotional knee jerk reaction. This lady was obviously mentally very, very, sick. Why else would she shoot her two happy successful children and husband? (and dog). Why didn't she just take her own life? No, you cannot blame religion for this.

50 minutes ago, Anna said:

This whole story its extremely sad. It's a tragedy. When something like this happens, people want to know why, and when they feel there is something they can blame, they do. However, blaming a religion (that they voluntarily left) is only an emotional knee jerk reaction. This lady was obviously mentally very, very, sick. Why else would she shoot her two happy successful children and husband? (and dog). Why didn't she just take her own life? No, you cannot blame religion for this.

As of right now everyone wants to know what went down inside that house, we may soon learn about what went on from the suicide letter. The woman, Joyce Taylor, a friend of the Lauren, is quick to blame the religion when,

1-The family had left the JWs themselves so it is unlikely the church excommunicated them, especially if the whole family all left.

2- Joyce Taylor not only attacking and blaming the group, for her information isn't as credible as the Catholic family's say in this, for Taylor even said that Lauren was being targeted by JWs, which is false because no one would target someone for 5 years, and added that Lauren tried to break into a JW church, so to speak and false, as well as stating that JWs talked bad about her and her family's name, also false because she is stating such without proof and or facts to her claims, in addition to saying that Lauren was always depressed when she spoke to her, however, she stated she does not know what caused her friend to go over the edge, so it would seem Taylor is using the murder-suicide as a tool to attack JWs., making anti-JWs eat up the claims without further evidence. So technically, jumping to conclusions before the investigation concludes.

3- The Catholic family seem more in the right than Taylor, as well as those who spoke up about the husband, the wife and the kids of the now deceased family.

4- The biggest kicker now is, the weapon used, the gun. Where did it come from, had they owned it already or did Lauren buy the gun to carry out the crime?

5- Usually in cases like this, the killer chooses to do such crime with intent to kill person(s) and or animal(s) if they are given the chance before outting themselves.

We will find out ourselves soon enough. One last thing to note, is that the only reason shunning is in the title of most articles because that one of the earliest persons they went to was Taylor, who coined the word to begin with, what was overlooked by some people was that Lauren still had relatives that contacts her, and it was because of a relative the bodies of the deceased were found when police went to do a check.

Another thing I'd like to say is the first weeks of February, there has been a slew of murder-suicides left and right, including this one. One top of them all, we just had what took place in Florida High School, a shooting at the school.

Ironically, the talk of guns, 2nd amendment and the like is still being talked about and has not been talked about this much until after the Las Vegas shooting.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.