The World News Media

Odd things you learn (if these are true) when you read other things

xero

So I'm reading yet another apologetic work and this one is coming at things from a Jewish perspective.

One thing I  just listened to was w/regard to the following passage:

10  He said to them: “Look! When you enter into the city, a man carrying an earthenware water jar will meet you. Follow him into the house that he enters. - Lk. 22:10

This was one of many passages I just sort of never thought about because it seemed like the stater coin fishing thing-tax episode - an Obie-wan Kenobi kind of "these are not your droids" moment.

Then he said something a bit like the following:

https://preachitteachit.org/articles/detail/little-known-facts-about-the-last-supper/

Only women carried water jars.

As to the other things  - I don't know.

• Views 947
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I'm reading yet another apologetic work and this one is coming at things from a Jewish perspective. One thing I  just listened to was w/regard to the following passage: 10  He said to the

How ocd of you.

The Mishnah, the earliest compilation of rabbinic oral law, states that roosters (chickens) may not be raised in Jerusalem due to purity concerns (m. Baba Kama 7.7; see also b. Baba Kama 82b).   

9 hours ago, xero said:

Only women carried water jars.

Since the written piece indicates that they went into the gate used by the Essenes and Essenes carried their own water (because they were celebate men) it is therefore logical to conclude that the apostles were only 12 men and it therefore would not have been so out of the ordinary for a man to carry water for men who were meeting alone in the area where the Essenes lived.  So I would not call this an apologetic piece for Christians,  I would rather call it a piece written against Christians, to disprove the truth of the new testament. 

11 minutes ago, Arauna said:

Since the written piece indicates that they went into the gate used by the Essenes and Essenes carried their own water (because they were celebate men) it is therefore logical to conclude that the apostles were only 12 men and it therefore would not have been so out of the ordinary for a man to carry water for men who were meeting alone in the area where the Essenes lived.  So I would not call this an apologetic piece for Christians,  I would rather call it a piece written against Christians, to disprove the truth of the new testament. 

I'm not sure I'm following your logic here. All I get was that instead of some weird psychic stuff, Jesus knew that there would probably be a room available w/these guys and he could spot the guy because of the water jar thingy. If it was weird for men to carry water, that would make the guy stand out.

Just now, xero said:

sure I'm following your logic here.

I read the piece and it indicates that men who were Essenes did carry their own water - so the apostles apparently held the Passover in this area.....because there was still an open upper room..... so it does make sense. 

8 minutes ago, Arauna said:

I read the piece and it indicates that men who were Essenes did carry their own water - so the apostles apparently held the Passover in this area.....because there was still an open upper room..... so it does make sense. 

I'm still not getting how you're getting this as a conclusion:

"So I would not call this an apologetic piece for Christians,  I would rather call it a piece written against Christians, to disprove the truth of the new testament. 

20 minutes ago, Arauna said:

My understanding is that an apologetic piece means you take sides with christians.... this reasoning in the piece is not totally for christians .... more against.

An apologetic isn't associated w/only Christians, and the link cited isn't an apologetic either. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apologetics

What passage in the link are you having problems with? Nothing struck me as particularly controversial. There certainly weren't any doctrines discussed, simply a biblical trivia investigation.

BTW This link is not the apologetic I'm reading.

This is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HAKH4UG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I read a lot of things. Some of the things I read I agree with in part, sometimes a lot, sometimes very little, and at other times none at all.

3 minutes ago, Arauna said:

I reread the piece - apologies - I was wrong.  It is as apologetic piece for Christians. 

BTW the apologetic I'm reading has a lot of stuff that's wrong. You can't pick up one of these w/o having someone pump the Jesus is God thing or Hell or the like. I just have to ignore that stuff. I had to do that when I started studying years ago w/the Live Forever book. The pics on pentecost looked silly to me w/the looks on their faces but I told myself "Don't get distracted by the artwork. Focus on the contents." It's hard to do sometimes, but I think it's useful to know what people's arguments are just so long as I understand their intend is to gather and not to scatter. 

That's the biggest problem I have w/apostates. It's not like they are saying "I found something awesome over here." It's just a bunch of negativism. Even if anything said by a detractor is true, it's spiritual rot to dwell on it. If you turn the same apostate lens on the Bible you burn it all to the ground. And for what? Because people are imperfect? 

G. K. Chesterton was a Catholic, but I agree w/him (and the sentiments apply to atheists as well as apostates)

“We do not admire, we hardly excuse, the fanatic who wrecks this world for love of the other. But what are we to say of the fanatic who wrecks this world out of hatred of the other? He sacrifices the very existence of humanity to the non-existence of God. He offers his victims not to the altar, but merely to assert the idleness of the altar and the emptiness of the throne. He is ready to ruin even that primary ethic by which all things live, for his strange and eternal vengeance upon some one who never lived at all.”
 G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

4 hours ago, xero said:

It's not like they are saying "I found something awesome over here." It's just a bunch of negativism.

Just as we recently selected a portion of verse for our yeartext, so did apostates. 

For the upcoming year it is the same as last year and the year prior, from Proverbs 5:12

“How I hated discipline How my heart despised reproof!”

With no upside other than throwing over the traces of anyone who would take the lead, how can it be any other?

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.