The World News Media

Cryosupernatant plasma

Many Miles

Cryosupernatant plasma (also known as cryo-poor plasma, cryoprecipitate depleted [or reduced] plasma) is a product rendered from blood that is left to individual JWs to accept or decline purely as a personal choice.

For whatever reason(s), cryosupernatant plasma has never been mentioned in our publications addressing use of products rendered from blood. This despite cryoprecipitate plasma finding ready reference in the general search bar at jw.org.

Medical use of cryosupernatant plasma is said to have markedly improved medical outcomes for JWs who accept it, and particularly for those suffering from acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP). In this case the use of cryosupernatant is as a plasma exchange. The procedure uses an IV tube placed in a vein to remove blood from a TTP patient. The blood will traverse a cell separator to remove plasma from the blood. The non-plasma part of the blood is saved, and the donated cryosupernatant plasma is added to it (replacing the patient’s own blood plasma). The blood is then put back into the patient’s system through an IV line. This process can take a couple hours, and the plasma replacement therapy will continue daily for days or weeks until symptoms improve.

Because plasma makes up the majority of our circulating blood, as you can imagine, this procedure requires a lot of donated blood plasma.

Recently I have found this blood product cited for therapeutic use at jw.org, but not in the general search engine. To find this reference you have to navigate to the link for Medical Information for Clinicians page and use the search engine there. I’m unsure how long this reference has been there, but it is now.

So, though we don’t find this product on any of our diagrams, it is there, and it can save lives.

• Views 2.6k
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As humanity continues to deplete and harm the ecosystem, it becomes increasingly important for people to learn the essential skill of fish bleeding. In the future, it is quite possible that individual

In 2000 the society made a shift to be clearer about its position on what products rendered from the donor blood supply were prohibited. It prohibited whole blood, plasma, red cells, white cells and p

Cryosupernatant plasma (also known as cryo-poor plasma, cryoprecipitate depleted [or reduced] plasma) is a product rendered from blood that is left to individual JWs to accept or decline purely as a p

Posted Images

This might help your research.

*** g95 3/22 p. 20 Seminars to Improve Relations Between Doctors and Jehovah’s Witnesses ***
“The liaison committee members have been trained to handle many common questions raised by both hospitals and physicians, occasionally even Witnesses themselves. This might include issues like the acceptability of immunoglobulins or albumin, the use of cryoprecipitate or medical techniques such as hemodilution, extracorporeal circulation, the cell saver, or hemodialysis

*** g 8/06 p. 9 Transfusion Medicine—Is Its Future Secure? ***
  As part of a treatment or therapy, a doctor might recommend concentrated amounts of a plasma fraction. An example of such is protein-rich cryoprecipitate, which is obtained by freezing and then thawing plasma.

*** km 11/06 p. 5 How Do I View Blood Fractions and Medical Procedures Involving My Own Blood? ***
CLOTTING FACTORS—LESS THAN 1% OF PLASMA

There are various proteins that help blood to clot in order to stop bleeding. Some are given to patients who tend to bleed easily. They are also used in medical glues to seal wounds and to stop bleeding after surgery. One combination of clotting factors is known as cryoprecipitate. Note: Some clotting factors are now made from nonblood sources.

1 minute ago, George88 said:

This might help your research.

Thanks George. As my initial post suggests, I'm familiar with all these instances of our publications naming cryoprecipitate as product we can accept from donor blood, but nowhere does our publications mention the use of cryosupernatant plasma as something we can accept transfusion of.

It is depressingly sad when the WTB&TS finally adopts the right viewpoint, then screws it up listening to their accountants and lawyers to avoid being sued by indecisive people terrified of dying.

What part of “Abstain from Blood” is not crystal clear?

Stealing a car is wrong, whole, or in dozens of car parts. It’s STILL a stolen car!

If you separate whole blood into 13 components, and hook up 13 tubes to your body and pump it in, you don’t get disfellowshipped.

…. and the Society doesn’t get sued.

81DC8BD1-8052-4669-BD54-3C4450296DC1.jpeg

0C380E25-922D-45BF-9928-7C871EA5F95A.jpeg

As passionate meat enthusiasts, we relish in the carnivorous pleasure every time we savor a juicy bite. Removing that is unfathomable to us, as the advantages of being vegetarian seem elusive. lol!

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/In-a-package-of-fresh-beef-is-the-red-liquid-blood

KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Blood is removed from beef during slaughter and only a small amount remains within the muscle tissue. Since beef is about 3/4 water, this natural moisture combined with protein is the source of the liquid in the package.

53 minutes ago, Pudgy said:

What part of “Abstain from Blood” is not crystal clear?

Depends on who you ask.

For starters, there is no verb, so we are forced to attribute a verb. The most likely candidate is "eat" or "eating" since nowhere were ancient faithful men and woman, like Noah and Job, ever prohibited from otherwise using blood, and it was useful and used for many purposes by ancient peoples, including medicinal transplantation as a preventative in some cases and as a therapeutic in others.

Then there is the question of what blood to abstain from, since contemporary society makes use of donor blood and not blood taken by assault (i.e., using a living animal to eat its flesh without killing and draining its blood first, which is what Noah was prohibited from doing).

That's just the tip of the questions posed by the simple statement to abstain from blood. Some aspects of these questions are addressed in our publications, and some are not.

Flesh we can eat.

Blood has to be returned to God.

He says the blood belongs to him!

It is symbolic.  A form of teaching obedience and respect … to God and the animal.

Interestingly enough, it seems to only apply to animals who have “the breath of life”.

I have never heard of anyone bleeding a fish.

2 minutes ago, Pudgy said:

Flesh we can eat.

Blood has to be returned to God.

He says the blood belongs to him!

It is symbolic.  A form of teaching obedience and respect … to God and the animal.

Interestingly enough, it seems to only apply to animals who have “the breath of life”.

I have never heard of anyone bleeding a fish.

I don't see anything said to Noah about returning blood to God. It just said he could not eat the blood of a living animal, he had to kill a living animal to use that animal as food. There is an inherent symbolic respect for life in that. But aside from eating the blood of slaughtered animals, I don't see where Noah was forbidden to use blood from those slaughtered animals however he wanted to.

Also, what was said to Noah was said of living animals and not carcasses of deceased beasts. I don't see anything prior to or after the flood about prohibiting the natural use of carrion flesh as food (and here I'm speaking of beasts that had died of their own accord and not by human hand). Carrion has been a food eaten since creation. This is a process created by God. Creation testifies to it. And, carcasses dead of natural cause have no soul to return to God. It's as true of animals as it is of persons.

7 hours ago, George88 said:

Where's the dancing frog when you need him, lol!

https://www.wikihow.com/Bleed-a-Fish

People should be educated, and that means sending everyone to a fishing course. Move/to displace people to live in places with water so that they can hunt for themselves and have fresh fish in their hands. This will be possible only in NW system :))

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.