The World News Media

Who is the best male singer of all time?

admin

• Views 439
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends on style, genre, stage presence, quality. The best reggae singer will not be the best jazz singer. This guy, below, has been around "for all time" during my lifetime. And I like what I have he

Best not to judge one against another.  I have no favourite singers at all, only sounds that i like.  I like the sounds of people's voices and/or groups/bands. But i have no interest in the perso

Posted Images

Depends on style, genre, stage presence, quality. The best reggae singer will not be the best jazz singer. This guy, below, has been around "for all time" during my lifetime. And I like what I have heard of his off-stage personality. A friend of ours saw him at a NYC dinner & music venue a couple years ago, and he was in the audience at a table with friends, making some very nice drawings of the stage artist, and greeting people with smiles and nice conversation. 

Best not to judge one against another.  I have no favourite singers at all, only sounds that i like. 

I like the sounds of people's voices and/or groups/bands. But i have no interest in the person/people.

To me it's a bit like a bus driver or shopkeeper. Musicians do a job like anyone else. If you like the sound, if it makes you dance or makes you feel happy then it's that sound, either the voice or the music, not the person... Unless you are a screaming teenager of course, but that is just some sort of crazy hero worship. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 4.01.54 PM.png

Freddie Mercury of Queen

Sing On, Sir

When Queen participated in Live Aid in 1985, Mercury delivered what has been hailed as “The Note Heard Around the World”; a sustained note during the a cappella section which perfectly demonstrated Mercury’s incredible vocal talents.

I've only been to two concerts in my life, and both were while I was at Bethel in NYC. Dave Brubeck in 1977 (not a singer) and James Taylor (free concert in Central Park, 1979). Here's my favorite lesser-known song from JT. It's on one of my Spotify playlists, but I have no idea what's in this video:

11 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

It ain’t me, babe.

1EFE8841-D70D-4EB1-8871-16B790FDBE9B.jpeg

Now that man has a great voice. I have 3 of his vinyl lp's. 

I know nothing about him but I love his sounds. 

Unlike Freddie Mercury of Queen which everyone knew was a homosexual and whos most famous song was about 'put a gun against his head, pulled the trigger now he's dead'  Murder.  OH so wonderful indeed.  The homosexual tag he had wasn't info you had to go and look for it was just generally known. 

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

The more you read up on Dylan, the more intriguing he becomes. Though THE counter-culture icon of the 60s, he writes that he was never into it. He wrote those type of songs because they sold. He knew he had to break into the business somehow, and here was a sure point of entry:

https://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/2011/05/bob-dylan-triggers-journalistic-wrath-in-beijing.html

(Wow, was I wordy. The relevant part doesn’t begin until halfway through)

I did start reading it but wow it's a bit long. I'll have to come back to it another day. 

But as i say, it's the 'sounds' that i like not the people. I'd be more interested in talking to my local road sweeper than to a musician that lives miles away an in a 'different world'.  But each to their own.