The World News Media

Saying "Peace and Security!" before sudden destruction. (1Th 5:3) What does it mean?

JW Insider

7 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Perhaps a technical point, but the Watchtower Officers during WWI were charged and convicted of sedition against the United States of America ... because they were GUILTY of sedition against the United States of America when at WAR.

If that were the case, they would have been pardoned after the war. Instead, they were exonerated. Their convictions were reversed.

• Views 2.6k
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps a technical point, but the Watchtower Officers during WWI were charged and convicted of sedition against the United States of America ... because they were GUILTY of sedition against the Unite

Like Tonto said to the Lone Ranger, when surrounded by enemy Indians, and Kemosabe said "What do we do NOW, Tonto?" Tonto replied "What you mean "We", white man?" Yes, WWI actually ended.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

If that were the case, they would have been pardoned after the war. Instead, they were exonerated. Their convictions were reversed.

Not exactly. "Exoneration" is not a legal term. They were never declared innocent of all charges. But the prosecution admitted that errors had taken place during the trial. It was declared to be a kind of mistrial that needed to be retried. We were actually one of at least a dozen cases based on the new Sedition Act of 1918. (Several were from other small religions, or individual rogue preachers within a religion.) The prosecution could have renewed the case at any time, but these types of cases are not considered worth the trouble outside the context of some kind of war.

*** yb75 p. 118 Part 2—United States of America ***

• Reversal of the eight Bible Students’ erroneous convictions on May 14, 1919, meant that they were free unless the government chose to reprosecute. But the war was over and the authorities realized that on the basis of the facts it would be impossible to get a conviction. Hence, in open court at Brooklyn, on May 5, 1920, the government’s lawyer announced withdrawal of the prosecution. The indictments were dismissed by action of nolle prosequi.

On 9/29/2017 at 6:45 PM, TrueTomHarley said:

Unfortunately, after my experience, a thief could break down my door, yell "Peace and Security," and I would roll over and go back to sleep.

All the above arguments about "peace and security to me, is a complete waste of time ..... SOON ENOUGH ... TOO SOON, perhaps .... we will all know.

.... I know you have not seen the "Dirty Harry" series of Clint Eastwood movies ... but here is a philosophical statement that I have taken to heart, and I worry about it not at all.

Safe Space    600   .jpg

Machine Gun    500   .jpg

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I think you will take it more to heart after I post an certain article - not my own - tomorrow. 

Thanks TTH ! :

It's always encouraging to have someone post an article from some source that purports to take it MORE  to heart any philosophy that I have adopted, through trials and real life experience, and it is the PHILOSOPHY that I was talking about ... about "being prepared for emergencies".

So many people who think they are authorities on EVERY subject imaginable have screwball liberal snowflake opinions that they want to impose on others, because THEY believe those goofy things, and if they can get  YOU or I  to adopt their viewpoints, which in the final analysis turn out to  ONLY BE OPINIONS .... then they can assert power for themselves by stealing it from you and me.

And because THEY are afraid of XYZ, it is a comfort to them, and validates them (in their own eyes ...)  to make YOU afraid of XYZ.

Oh, and by the way .... when you post the article, don't get PURPORTS and PORPOISES mixed up.

One swims in the sewer of the un-examined mind ...

The other swims in the oceans.

..........................................................................................................

.The battle is not always to the strong,

The race is not always to he swift.

... but that is the way to bet.

People that PREPARE for emergencies, seldom have any.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.