The World News Media

Elderly, disabled man hit over head by door knocker

Guest Nicole

1511991440994.jpg

Dan King says he was hit over the head with own crutch after asking a doorknocker to leave.

An elderly, disabled Whangarei man is warning people to be careful who they answer the door to after allegedly being attacked with his own crutch following an altercation with a door knocker.

Dan King, 75, says the man, claiming to be a Jehovah Witness, had called at his place twice prior to the altercation. Each time the man was alone and King found it difficult to get the man to leave.

"I told him I was not interested and asked him not to come back again. In spite of that he returned three times in close succession."

1511991440994 (1).jpg

King says he received these bumps and abrasions after being hit with own crutch.

King called 111 and reported the attack to the police and has since filed a formal statement with the Whangarei Police who have advised they are investigating the incident.

On Wednesday, Rod Spinks, media spokesperson for Jehovah's Witnesses in Australasia, says they we were unaware of the allegation and had since initiated a request to determine whether anything is known of the allegation locally.

"The local congregation would not encourage members to call on a householder who had requested they not call.

"We fully support the efforts of the police to protect the community and would always recommend that any such concerns be immediately reported to the police."

KIng who walks with the aid of crutches or uses a mobility scooter, has a sign on his door asking salespeople not to call and a sign on the gate saying 'private property no entry'. He says he finds it difficult to get to the door and doesn't want to be bothered unnecessarily. The door knocker returned again on November 3.

"I was annoyed when he returned the third time after being asked not to. On this occasion I asked him five times to leave The debate then got rather heated and he grabbed the crutch and hit me over the head. I had to grab the verandah rail to stop from falling onto the ground."

King says the man is intimidating and has heard he is using the same approach with others in the area.

He says he is speaking out in the interests of public safety.

Read more: https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/northland/whangarei-leader/99371411/Elderly-disabled-man-hit-over-head-by-door-knocker

• Views 990
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Popular Days

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.