The World News Media

Is it wrong for a Christian to open a fortune cookie?

Guest Nicole

• Views 1.2k
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends how you feel as this is a matter for individual conscience. A fortune cookie is nothing but an small, edible biscuit or cake of sorts, usually made from  made from flour, sugar, vanilla,

???

I don't think eating a cookie is such a big deal.  However,  God does not approve of fortune-telling.  The question was a reasonable one to ask since many look to these things as a way of predicting t

Posted Images

Depends how you feel as this is a matter for individual conscience.

A fortune cookie is nothing but an small, edible biscuit or cake of sorts, usually made from  made from flour, sugar, vanilla, and sesame seed oil. They traditionally contain a short script consisting of a vaguely "prophetic" message or "wise" saying.

The Wikipedia article on fortune cookies states that there are  "approximately 3 billion fortune cookies made each year around the world, the vast majority of them used for consumption in the United States".

It goes on to suggest that, although apparently a relatively modern American custom, there may be connection with a Japanese Buddhist or Shinto temple practice of dispensing (for money) random fortunes written on strips of paper (omuji). These sayings can predict favorable or unfavorable outcomes for the participant.

Probably the easiest comparison would be to the vague predictions found in the popular horoscope articles frequently seen in the popular press. Not many would deny having never, ever, looked at one of these, even if to ridicule its content. However, others, without the benefit of a relationship with Jehovah and an insight into demonic practices, may take these means of "divination" very seriously, regardless of their impotency.

Some now serving Jehovah, may have formerly taken these matters very seriously and have allowed such messages to exert a powerful influence in their lives. Although in the case of fortune cookies, obviously the cookie itself has no power,  they might still find that the practice, (especially if they read the message) could trigger an association and they might be tempted to look for some application of an "uncanny" or superstitious influence in their lives. A person with such a background would do well to avoid fortune cookies altogether.

In the light of Jehovah's viewpoint on such matters, clearly expressed at De.18:10-13, there is no reason why Christians would ever pay money for prophecies or wise sayings about future events from sources clearly described as demonic. Some may see this as including the purchase of fortune cookies, even under the guise of "fun". Paying money could be viewed as contributing to the promotion of a practice rooted in superstition..

But, what if these cookies are given free in a restaurant as part of the presentation of a meal? Well, eating the cookie while discarding the message is one option, Who would know apart from the staff? (What would they think if they had seen you asking a blessing before eating?). Alternatively, it would be an easy matter to decline these items, or to return them if unsolicited.

What if the group sharing a meal are not all servants of Jehovah, such as at a family or workplace outing? This is a bit more complicated but a minor trial thinking of what some of our brothers face. We might want to avoid these cookies in that situation because we do not want to stumble others for any reason, whether giving the wrong impression, or encouraging them to do something which could be detrimental in Jehovah's eyes. Compare 1 Cor 8:13. We may take the opportunity to explain why as a witness to them. Or, we could explain to the group our scriptural view of divination and magic, and how cookies are cookies regardless of a silly message, then throwaway the paper and scoff the cookie! It really is up to the individual.

So, ..............fortune cookie anyone?

I believe this is a classic case of control/puppetry. If someone is going to instruct you right or wrong on things as trivial as this matter, and you accept it, then you deserve the control over you and have rightfully asked the question to those in authority. The next question that should be asked is if it is ok to wipe 3 or 4 times, or should it always be 7 wipes since 7 is the number of completion. 

17 hours ago, Shiwiii said:

Yes, and that is what I addressed. If you must request permission,  then you are asking for the hard and fast rule. But who's rule? The topic IS what I addressed.

It may be a matter of common sense based on facts or information from other persons, or various sources, whether religious, historical or scientific, etc.  Throughout life we had to ask questions to know something or do certain things.  Whether we asked our parents, siblings, relatives, teachers, co-workers, supervisors, boss, police, parking attendant, attorney, or judge?  We may even ask God in prayer to answer certain questions for us.  Although, we know God probably won't answer us back as in times past, we are left to inquire of others with knowledgeable information or read and study as much as we can and then wait for an answer or clear direction.  If there is no definite right or wrong, black and white answers, only gray, then the rule of law may end up being guided by our conscience.

Yes, however we are guided by the Bible no? Does the Bible give us direction on eating and drinking?  Yes!  In two ways:

1 Corinthian 10:27-31 (both are represented here)

It is only when men have attached additional laws or rules does this come into question.  Colossians 2:8 tells us to beware of these things. Instead of focusing on what men say, focus on Jesus.

I don't think eating a cookie is such a big deal.  However,  God does not approve of fortune-telling.  The question was a reasonable one to ask since many look to these things as a way of predicting their future.  The basic answer in the original response was according to one's conscience and God's word.

(1 Corinthians 8:13) Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat flesh at all, that I may not make my brother stumble.

(1 Corinthians 10:27-31) If anyone of the unbelievers invites YOU and YOU wish to go, proceed to eat everything that is set before YOU, making no inquiry on account of YOUR conscience. 28 But if anyone should say to YOU: “This is something offered in sacrifice,” do not eat on account of the one that disclosed it and on account of conscience. 29 “Conscience,” I say, not your own, but that of the other person. For why should it be that my freedom is judged by another person’s conscience? 30 If I am partaking with thanks, why am I to be spoken of abusively over that for which I give thanks? 31 Therefore, whether YOU are eating or drinking or doing anything else, do all things for God’s glory.

(Colossians 2:8) Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry YOU off as his prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ.

We are told to follow in Jesus' steps closely, but he was under the rules and regulations of the Mosaic law.  Since the law ended upon Jesus' death, we still follow him in many things and the traditions and practices of the apostles and perhaps early disciples.  On a wider scale, God has allowed husbands, men and/or superior authorities to make laws or guidelines for the benefit of society as a whole. 

Rom 7:2 For instance, a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is alive; but if her husband dies, she is discharged from the law of her husband. 3 So, then, while her husband is living, she would be styled an adulteress if she became another man’s. But if her husband dies, she is free from his law, so that she is not an adulteress if she becomes another man’s. 

.  "On a wider scale, God has allowed husbands, men and/or superior authorities to make laws or guidelines for the benefit of society as a whole"

Not outside of what God has said. That is my point.  God has inspired the apostles to write what He wanted, nothing more and nothing less. To question things beyond what God has said,  is to allow men to rule instead of God. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.