The World News Media

Naming a child "Jehovah"

Jack Ryan

Naming of a child "Jehovah"  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a sin to name one's child "Jehovah"?

• Yes
    • No

• Views 1.9k
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(Exodus 6:2) Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. 3 And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them. (

A sin? that's debatable. However, it seems inappropriate. The divine name is incorporated in the names of many of the characters in the Bible record, but I am unaware of anyone being given or taking t

Thanks for your interest. Here is some research on it. Please check the scriptures  and note that in the King James version where it says LORD in uppercase the translators are refusing to use the Divi

28 minutes ago, Shiwiii said:

They called on God 

Not the answer to the question.

35 minutes ago, Shiwiii said:

make the story as accurate as possible

I believe Moses did that under inspiration at  Genesis 4:26 "At that time the people began calling on the name of Jehovah

2 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

Not the answer to the question.

I believe Moses did that under inspiration at  Genesis 4:26 "At that time the people began calling on the name of Jehovah

Actually it is the answer. 

Yes. I agree, that's why Moses wrote what he wrote. Moses had knowledge that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did not and that is why when he wrote the accounts of Genesis he clarified what was meant. He knew the name of God and thus wrote it in where it should have been, under inspiration, to give us the context of the faith Abraham, Isaac and Jacob had for God.

5 hours ago, Shiwiii said:

He knew the name of God and thus wrote it in where it should have been

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying: Do you mean that Moses inserted the name of God into the text where it should have been to give clarity ?

Moses wrote what he was suppose to write by inspiration.

Since Exodus 6:2&3 tell us that Moses is the first to know God by His name and Moses wrote Genesis and Exodus so he would have written them by what he knew. 

59 minutes ago, Shiwiii said:

Moses wrote what he was suppose to write by inspiration.

So do you mean those people were not actually calling on the name of Jehovah, it was Moses who inserted that phrase to explain that although they were calling on a God whose name they did not know, they were really calling on Jehovah?

Under inspiration,  Moses wrote. When he wrote exodus, he said that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did not know God's name. God told Moses this directly. 

It is my belief that no one before Moses knew God's name, based on Exodus. So to answer you plainly, yes

23 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

Genesis 4:26 "At that time the people began calling on the name of Jehovah"

The people, not Moses. What name did they call on?

When asking a NEW question under the main question it would be better to START a new question and link over to that. Notice the conversation at this point has NOTHING to do with the original question.

On 5/14/2016 at 17:42, admin said:

When asking a NEW question under the main question it would be better to START a new question and link over to that. Notice the conversation at this point has NOTHING to do with the original question.

Yeah agreed. I was trying to get clarity to get things back on point but I think I'm wasting my time. So I'll abandon at this stage. Sorry for the unintended deviation!

• 2 weeks later...

I am not very articulate but I will try to answer this question.  When the people called on the name of Jehovah in Genesis, they did not know him or the meaning of his name.  Notice when he said his name to Moses, he also stated the meaning of his name.  So Abraham, Jacob and the servants that came before Moses knew his name but not the meaning of his name.

28 minutes ago, Dada Boncy said:

I am not very articulate but I will try to answer this question.  When the people called on the name of Jehovah in Genesis, they did not know him or the meaning of his name.  Notice when he said his name to Moses, he also stated the meaning of his name.  So Abraham, Jacob and the servants that came before Moses knew his name but not the meaning of his name.

That is a theory that many scholars adhere to and there are many scholars who believe differently. It all comes down to personal belief. This subject has little to do with actual salvation. The org has not allowed its followers to consider or adopt opinions or beliefs outside of their own for fear of being labeled brother. This captivity by fear keeps the blinders on its followers so tightly, that they are not allowed to look at or have an opinion about something that really isn't doctrine, but rather an observation of scripture. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.