The World News Media

Should true Christians use the word "Disaster"?

The Librarian

• Views 4.5k
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, I think we go overboard in insinuating the worst for words that have lost their original meaning in modern parlance and that have become just an expression for which there doesn't seem to b

@Witness & @Srecko Sostar  you have both got me thinking on this now.  It is very interesting and it will get me re-reading the Greek Scriptures once again but from a different viewpoint. 

God has not given any authority to the GB or the rest of the Leaders of the CCJW. Even the GB admit to NOT BEING inspired by God's Holy Spirit, and they admit that they 'err', or deliberately do wrong

Posted Images

Sometimes, I think we go overboard in insinuating the worst for words that have lost their original meaning in modern parlance and that have become just an expression for which there doesn't seem to be a better alternative. Years ago, (maybe even for some today) it was considered bad form to use the word "fortune" or "luck" - insinuating if we used those words we were invoking or crediting the "god of luck." Which to most people would seem absurd, but not to all - "unfortunately." I was reminded of how many people were on that bandwagon (along with other so-called deep insights people had dug up) when in our weekly Bible reading, I came across Genesis 30:11: "Then Leah said: "With good fortune!" So she name him Gad." Other translations use the word "luck." Was Leah a false worshipper who believed in the god of luck? Was she being disloyal, meriting capital punishment for worshipping/invoking false deities? Or could it be that sometimes a word-is a word-is a word. And everyone knows how it is used without reading all kinds of nefarious connotations to a word that simply doesn't have a better alternative? Nowadays, to most people it means that something happens by chance as in "time and unforeseen circumstance" - (which would be an unwieldy mouthful to use casually). Sometimes we just need to lighten up. 

Although to B4ucuhear's point above.....

At one time JW's were developing our own calendar so as not to refer to pagan names of gods during the months and year and even week....

Monday = Moon god

Tuesday = Mars (Martes in Spanish)

Wednesday = 

Thursday = Day of Thor (norse god)  Spanish = Jueves or (Jupiter's day)

Friday = Viernes in Spanish or Venus' day

Saturday = Saturn

Sunday = Day of the Sun

you get the idea

And for the months....

January = God Janus

February

March = Mars 

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December 

I can't remember all their references.... but I'm sure it would be easy to look them up.

1 hour ago, JW Insider said:

Hmmm. Do you refuse to say Hades or Tartarus as used in the Bible?

What about the pagan source of the word "Amen" or even the English word "holy?"

To each his own.  But, I'm not referring to days of the week or months.  I'm talking about the Almighty God,  YHVH.  There's quite a big difference, wouldn't you say?  I have no intention of mocking Him, by using a hybrid name developed by men. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.