The World News Media

Malawi and MCP Cards?

Many Miles

11 minutes ago, George88 said:

You guys might control this site, but you have no authority over me, and never will

Alas! I’ve no interest in controlling you, or anyone else. I’ve just asked a question.

Readers can see the question.

Readers can see your response.

Let readers make of it what they will, which is as it should be. 

• Views 12.5k
  • Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It took a while for me to realize that, among some branches of Christians, there is virtue in ‘moving beyond’ the Bible. Most Witnesses will assume that if they can demonstrate they are adhering to th

I think it would seem to be quite presumptuous to say that we are the only spokesperson that God is using. Not my words. But I agree with the sentiment. The early Christian church found it diffic

I think that some brothers feel they can do a lot more good for both the organization and the congregations overall by not declaring themselves apostates, even if they hold beliefs different from the

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, George88 said:

I'm sure your friend from the closed club will come around to mention "Hayden Covington" of all people.

I’ve no idea who you’re talking about, but it does happen to be the case that Hayden Covington was the attorney of record who argued the Barnette case before the US Supreme Court. But who argued the case is irrelevant to the question asked. The question asked was not of who made the argument but, rather, the substance of the argument. 

The question is sitting there for readers to see. If they’re concerned about an answer, they’ll seek one. 

10 minutes ago, Many Miles said:

Alas! I’ve no interest in controlling you, or anyone else. I’ve just asked a question.

Readers can see the question.

Readers can see your response.

Let readers make of it what they will, which is as it should be. 

It's interesting that you bring this up because when mistakes are made and insincerity is used to deflect attention, they are able to observe your questions and responses.

2 minutes ago, George88 said:

…they are able to observe your questions and responses.

Of course. That is the way it should be. That’s why we bother to put information and questions into the public realm. Readers can see it all and make of it what they will. That’s a good thing. Don’t you agree? 

10 hours ago, George88 said:

Simply put, Pastor Russell's position on an oath of allegiance is of respect for human authority, while his real allegiance lies with God and with the "King of Kings." His citizenship was in heaven.

A MATTER OF CONSCIENCE

ACTS 24:16: “And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and toward men.

“Of course, no country forces aliens into the army; and were it recognized that true Christians are aliens as respects earthly governments, the whole question might solve itself. The Bible Students’ claim is that the followers of Jesus have their citizenship in heaven, and that by giving their obedience to the heavenly Lord they renounce in a degree their allegiance to earthly kings — governments. It is for this reason that we have long advocated that the fully consecrated abstain from voting on political issues. if they so vote, they are identifying themselves with the earthly kingdoms, and might properly enough be called upon to shoot as they vote — to support the government which they helped to create.

Many of us know that the early WT held the doctrine that all members of the movement would go to heaven. Then, in the early 1930s, they changed their doctrine. Another example of "old truths and new lies" or "old lies and new truths", take it as you will.

In both cases, we have difficulty literally living with such an idea. From which authority do you have documents such as birth certificate, identity card, passport, etc.? Do not talk about religious fictions and ideas about one's identity.

If a JW in the USA is a foreigner to the USA authorities, then where is his evidence that he is a citizen of Jesus' Kingdom? How can he prove this when according to WTJWorg theology, the invisible Kingdom has existed since 1914 and has not issued any certificates to its believers. Moreover, Jesus said that he would separate the sheep from the goats (separate its citizens from non-citizens) at some future time.

If we want to take it as a measure of belonging to the Kingdom (citizenship), then the personal aspiration and faith of an individual is the only "document" of belonging, but only as an empty form without the signature and seal of the competent service that may accept such an individual as its own citizen.
Even more, the right to citizenship, according to the interpretation, is obtained only after the final test at the end of the 1000-year Kingdom.
Who do today's JWs belong to? To those whose documents you have in your pocket.

The rebelliousness of citizens towards their own authorities has its justification in some matters and circumstances. But that applies to every government.

8 hours ago, Many Miles said:

the society offered an alternate

I heard in a conversation with an elder (many years ago, 15 or more), I think it was in Bethel, how the Organization waits for the secular authorities to offer it an alternative solution for a matter, and then they  says whether it is acceptable or not to Society. He rejected any possibility that the Organization would propose a solution. Interesting how mindset of people in WTJWorg is changing.

5 hours ago, George88 said:

Srecko, all you need to do is look at the Wikipedia commentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_State_Board_of_Education_v._Barnette

Quote from your source in Wikipedia:

(Justice) Jackson warned that "[t]hose who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard".

My comment:

What a country can ask of its citizens is no more or less than what WTJWorg asks of its followers. Things are quite clearly placed in the same or very similar frameworks. If you do not submit, you will be rejected and isolated. What then is the fundamental difference between secular and religious? There is no such thing. Both sides are prepared to take drastic measures to eliminate the ineligible.

Quote from your source in Wikipedia:

(Justice) Jackson warned that "[t]hose who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard".

… That’s why it takes 20 MAN YEARS (40,000 hours) of preaching to get ONE new Jehovah’s Witness that will stay his entire life.

Having the Core Truths about God and man, there should be a line of people lined up trying to become Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Instead, they are being chased away almost as fast as recruited.

8 hours ago, George88 said:

Srecko, all you need to do is look at the Wikipedia commentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_State_Board_of_Education_v._Barnette

What was WT position about national flag in 1917:

Thank God for the privilege of living in the United States! While
we all recognize that it is not a perfect government, yet it is the best
of all earthly governments. Every one who lives under the flag of the
United States should be loyal to that Government as against all
earthly governments. No citizen of this country could be a Christian
and do violence to the Government of the United States. To be loyal
to the law of God he must render unto the United States Government
everything that is not in contravention of the divine law.
– Romans
13:1-9.

DISPLAYING THE AMERICAN FLAG
Suppose the city or state officials should issue an order requiring,
or even requesting, that all persons display the American flag. What
should we do? We answer, We think it would be right to display the
flag in obedience to such order or request. The American flag was
adopted as an emblem of liberty. It is the national emblem. While
some have insisted that it now represents war, this is hardly in
keeping with the facts. It may represent war to those who desire war,
but to those who love liberty and peace, the flag represents liberty
and peace. However that may be, the displaying of the American flag
can do injury to no one. If commanded or requested to display the
flag, it should be done, out of respect to the Government under which
it is the privilege of Christians to live. If an American was the guest
of the British Government and was requested to display the British
flag and refused to do so, it would be showing disrespect to the
British Government, his host. If a Christian, who is an alien amongst 

all earthly governments, should, while journeying amongst them, be
requested to display a flag of the country whose benefits he is
enjoying, and refuse to do so, such refusal would be failing to show
the proper respect to such government.
Recognizing that the
Government of the United States has been the special refuge of
Christian people from intolerable persecution; that it was founded as
an asylum of religious liberty and freedom of speech, every one in
America should take pleasure in displaying the American flag
-
especially when requested so to do. It does not mean that by putting a
flag on your house you would want to go to war. Since the Bethel
Home was established, in one end of the Drawing Room there has
been kept a small bust of Abraham Lincoln with two American flags
displayed about the bust. This is deemed entirely proper, having in
mind what Mr. Lincoln did for the Government and for the people of
the United States, and in this we see nothing inconsistent with a
Christian’s duty. (The Watchtower May 15, 1917 pp. 6085-6086,
reprints).

Two ways of looking at that.

I can’t imagine the Apostles having busts of ANYONE in their homes and it not being a problem, but I can easily visualize the Roman Centurion Cornelias having a bust of Caesar in his home (or perhaps a Labarum) and it not being a problem, because he was SPECIFICALLY defined as a man having God’s approval. 

( The labarum was a military standard used by the Roman Empire, featuring the Chi-Rho symbol, a monogram representing the first two letters of "Christ" in Greek. It was introduced by Emperor Constantine the Great in the early 4th century as a Christian symbol on the battlefield. The labarum typically consisted of a staff topped with a banner displaying the Chi-Rho and sometimes accompanied by other religious symbols.

Before the adoption of the labarum, the Roman military standards included the eagle (aquila) as a prominent symbol. The aquila was a golden or bronze eagle mounted on a pole, serving as a revered emblem for Roman legions. These standards represented the honor and identity of the legion, and losing one in battle was considered a grave dishonor. Each legion had its own distinctive eagle, emphasizing the importance of these symbols in Roman military tradition.

Another standard was the "signum," a type of Roman military standard that featured images of the emperor and his family. These were smaller standards carried by individual cohorts within a legion. The images on the signum emphasized loyalty to the reigning emperor and served as a visual representation of the legion's allegiance to the imperial family. The primary standard, the aquila, was more focused on the legion as a whole, while the signum highlighted the personal connection between the soldiers and the ruling authority.  )

In the middle of a World War, I would imagine having a bust of Abraham Lincoln and two small flags would be a matter of personal conscience … only because the real life example of Cornelius, a man SPECIFICALLY defined as approved by God, trumps ANY contrary esoteric theory.