Many Miles

• Views 12.1k
  • Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It took a while for me to realize that, among some branches of Christians, there is virtue in ‘moving beyond’ the Bible. Most Witnesses will assume that if they can demonstrate they are adhering to th

I think it would seem to be quite presumptuous to say that we are the only spokesperson that God is using. Not my words. But I agree with the sentiment. The early Christian church found it diffic

I think that some brothers feel they can do a lot more good for both the organization and the congregations overall by not declaring themselves apostates, even if they hold beliefs different from the

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Pudgy said:

40251F39-E56E-4BCB-BE51-AECB1FB9C0E3.jpeg

I believe there must have existed a real document with similarities to this one on his actual passport application, and the signature matches that of JFR in other places. But I find it hard to believe that a document like this one would have contained such a blatant typo: So held me God.

I have seen some other 1922 U.S. passport applications and had not seen one with this typo. Also the OATH OF ALLEGIENCE is in a different font on some of the others I have seen.

image.png

image.png

22 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

But I find it hard to believe that a document like this one would have contained such a blatant typo: So held me God.

I have seen some other 1922 U.S. passport applications and had not seen one with this typo. Also the OATH OF ALLEGIENCE is in a different font on some of the others I have seen.

I’m not sure what you read as a typo. Do you think “ allegience” is the proper spelling of allegiance? Is that what you’re talking about? 

Yet, none of the posts have explained why Malwian JWs didn't accept the Party card. It was not just the allegiance to a totalitarianism dictator, but its military service which would have been included in the political process of that party. 

By the way, trying to brush up on what an "oath of allegiance" means in the United States as compared to other nations.

This quote from Russell's thought about "allegiance" is clear.

“On the other hand, the Scriptural proposition is that while our citizenship is in heaven and we are aliens, strangers and foreigners in the world, with allegiance to the heavenly King, nevertheless, like all other foreigners, we are to be subject to the powers that be — subject to the laws of the country in which we may be living. But if obedience to the laws does not imply military service on the part of the foreigner, so obedience to the laws on the part of Bible Students does not imply military duty. Similarly with the oath of allegiance required by those who enter the Army — they are required to swear allegiance to the king and obedience to the officers of the king in all things. This oath is not required of aliens, foreigners, and is objected to by Bible Students, not because they are opposed to law and order or unwilling to be regulated by the government under which they live, but because they have already given allegiance to the higher power — the heavenly Lord. To them his words, his commands, etc., are paramount.” R5928:2,3

4 hours ago, JW Insider said:

I believe there must have existed a real document with similarities to this one on his actual passport application, and the signature matches that of JFR in other places. But I find it hard to believe that a document like this one would have contained such a blatant typo: So held me God.

image.png

image.png

I seen many years ago on another site which I think is redundant now….i was never sure what to make of it…..this oath must have had many brothers and sisters who travelled overseas compromise themselves.

2 hours ago, George88 said:

Yet, none of the posts have explained why Malwian JWs didn't accept the Party card. It was not just the allegiance to a totalitarianism dictator, but its military service which would have been included in the political process of that party. 

By the way, trying to brush up on what an "oath of allegiance" means in the United States as compared to other nations.

This quote from Russell's thought about "allegiance" is clear.

“On the other hand, the Scriptural proposition is that while our citizenship is in heaven and we are aliens, strangers and foreigners in the world, with allegiance to the heavenly King, nevertheless, like all other foreigners, we are to be subject to the powers that be — subject to the laws of the country in which we may be living. But if obedience to the laws does not imply military service on the part of the foreigner, so obedience to the laws on the part of Bible Students does not imply military duty. Similarly with the oath of allegiance required by those who enter the Army — they are required to swear allegiance to the king and obedience to the officers of the king in all things. This oath is not required of aliens, foreigners, and is objected to by Bible Students, not because they are opposed to law and order or unwilling to be regulated by the government under which they live, but because they have already given allegiance to the higher power — the heavenly Lord. To them his words, his commands, etc., are paramount.” R5928:2,3

I love Russell but I don’t understand what he is saying here,.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.