The World News Media

New Light on Birthdays

Nobody You Know

I read on another site that at least one Bethel insider is saying that the Governing Body is going to start allowing birthdays. They say the Watchtower hired a PR/rebranding firm and has a 10 year plan to roll back doctrine and policies to become more mainstream. They are supposedly 2 years into the 10 year plan. Birthdays next with blood to follow, becoming "conscious matters". 

Has anyone else heard this?

• Views 417
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read on another site that at least one Bethel insider is saying that the Governing Body is going to start allowing birthdays. They say the Watchtower hired a PR/rebranding firm and has a 10 year pla

Manuel, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but considering that you have openly admitted it here, I strongly suggest that you refrain from using your actual name. Instead, opt for a different alias,

Never heard it. But I have my doubts only because this same topic came up at Bethel many years ago around mid-1979 during the Bible reading of Job and a morning text comment by Brother Franz regarding

Posted Images

It sounds very reasonable, whether true or not true. If true, then there is the “problem” of say, as an example only, one might disfellowshipped for openly celebrating your childrens’ birthdays in 2026, and a week later it’s a “conscience matter. Or the blood issue, same thing. 

It’s macavellian to make arbitrary rules  and regulation just for the purpose of intimidation and fear, but it is a common practice everywhere, and sometimes is fully justified.

To consolidate power and authority and fear for a school teacher is a good thing, and always necessary. My wife is a high school math teacher, in a school system that has abandoned that. Arbitrary rules heavily enforced and the fear it creates keeps the rug rats in line …. or used to.

To consolidate power and authority and fear of clerical authorities with arbitrary rules and regulations is not permitted in a religion where absolute obedience to TRUTH is what is required, and how a Congregation should be run and disciplined is given by Jesus in Matthew the 18th Chapter, and by his example.

Jesus didn’t even have a small suitcase, and certainly not multi-billions of dollars in real estate, or a private Jet. Or several.

i really don’t have any standing to pontificate about this, as I asked to be disfellowshipped, except on the basis of common sense… which often is not all that common.

It's great that you're keeping a positive attitude. However, on judgment day, will God still find your laughter amusing? Also, it's important to remember that many witnesses secretly celebrate their birthdays, believing they are fooling others.

Manuel, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but considering that you have openly admitted it here, I strongly suggest that you refrain from using your actual name. Instead, opt for a different alias, much like James does with his amusingly named "Pudgy". 

Either that, or remain in the close club where people are indifferent to causing offense.

12 hours ago, Nobody You Know said:

I read on another site that at least one Bethel insider is saying that the Governing Body is going to start allowing birthdays.

Never heard it. But I have my doubts only because this same topic came up at Bethel many years ago around mid-1979 during the Bible reading of Job and a morning text comment by Brother Franz regarding the "yearly" feast days for each of Job's sons. The fact that he added the word "yearly" started the unfounded rumor. 

Then, of course, rumors swirled after the following statement made about celebrations with piñatas, allowed at the time only for Witnesses in Mexico but not California when I used to live in Southern California. That changed in 2003:

*** g03 9/22 p. 24 The Piñata—An Ancient Tradition ***
When considering whether to include a piñata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the consciences of others. (1 Corinthians 10:31-33) A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: “Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person.”—1 Corinthians 10:24.

This was the conclusion of an article that admitted the association between piñatas and Christmas traditions. Curiously, the article also noted that the Mexican piñata was not strictly related to Lent, Christmas, and the struggle against Satan, and blind faith, but had an older origin celebrating the BIRTHDAY of the war god Huitzilopochtli.

*** g03 9/22 pp. 22-24 The Piñata—An Ancient Tradition ***
Breaking the piñata became a custom on the first Sunday of Lent. It seems that at the beginning of the 16th century, Spanish missionaries brought the piñata to Mexico.
However, the missionaries may have been surprised (as we were) to find that the native people of Mexico already had a similar tradition. The Aztecs celebrated the birthday of Huitzilopochtli, their god of the sun and war...
As part of their strategy to evangelize the Indians, the Spanish missionaries ingeniously made use of the piñata to symbolize, among other things, the Christian’s struggle to conquer the Devil and sin. The traditional piñata was a clay pot covered with colored paper and given a star shape with seven tasseled points. These points were said to represent the seven deadly sins: greed, gluttony, sloth, pride, envy, wrath, and lust. Striking the piñata while blindfolded represented blind faith and willpower overcoming temptation or evil. . . .
The Piñata Today
Later, the piñata became part of the festivities of the posadas during the Christmas season and continues as such to this day. (A star-shaped piñata is used to represent the star that guided the astrologers to Bethlehem.) Breaking the piñata is also considered indispensable at birthday parties. . . .
We found that for many people in Mexico, the piñata has lost its religious significance and is considered by most to be just harmless fun. In fact, piñatas are used in Mexico on many festive occasions, not just for the posadas or for birthdays. 

5 hours ago, George88 said:

Either that, or remain in the close club where people are indifferent to causing offense.

Oh, yeah! Is he obnoxious? Send him right over! We thrive on people like that! Just doing our bit so the open club can stay pristine.

I hear next on the 10-year list is that blogging’s okay, provided you avoid those ne’er-do-wells in the closed club

On 4/25/2024 at 7:57 PM, TrueTomHarley said:

Oh, yeah! Is he obnoxious? Send him right over! We thrive on people like that! Just doing our bit so the open club can stay pristine.

What issue is so insurmountable that it cannot be resolved through a thorough evaluation? Was my attempt to offer friendly advice perceived as disrespectful, considering that he confessed to engaging in a secretive activity under his name? It's time to come down from your pedestal!

You people don't care in the closed club since you accept disfellowshipped people as you rightly admitted to.

On 4/25/2024 at 5:19 PM, JW Insider said:

Then, of course, rumors swirled after the following statement made about celebrations with piñatas, allowed at the time only for Witnesses in Mexico but not California when I used to live in Southern California. That changed in 2003

To spanish the people, culture is hard to remove. Pride usually contributes to it, much like it does here.I would use Huitzilopochtli as an example of not endorsing the adoption of a Spanish tradition influenced by Chinese culture. The Pinata was not restricted to birthdays, or catechism. It could be used at a party in general.

However, I have never observed any baptized witnesses engaging in this form of entertainment in California. It is possible that unbaptized individuals, or what were commonly referred to as acquaintances or friends, may have enjoyed it. I just never observed it.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.