The World News Media

The sounds of silence will dominate Brampton convention

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

LX-B-deaf_conference3___Gallery.jpg

The silence will speak volumes at a three-day convention in Brampton from July 29 to 31.

More than 600 deaf and deaf-blind from Canada are expected to take part in a series of religious talks conducted solely through American Sign Language (ASL).

The Bible-themed talks, drama and movies are being held at the Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses 2594 Bovaird Dr. W. near Bovaird and Heritage Rds.

At the event, there will be tactile services for the deaf and deaf-blind, 10 television screens, Braille literatures and 18 sign language interpreters, explained Mike Franklin, spokesperson, ASL Convention, adding the entire program will be in ASL with speakers from across Canada, including both hearing and hearing impaired.  

“Sign language is the language of heart for the deaf and deaf-blind and it’s really their first language,” he said. “This event will give many an idea of how valuable it is to deaf people to have both a program in their language and three days of association with people who all use sign language. ”

Last year, some 600 ASL users from across Canada, including a few new immigrants,  attended what was the first ever event in the Toronto area.

Stewart Milner, 46, a Burlington resident who is deaf and has low or tunnel vision, was one of the many travelling to Brampton.

“Last year’s (convention) was uplifting and a spiritual feast,” Milner signed via Brandon Muldoon, an interpreter.

Milner, who was born deaf, could see, but slowly over the years, his vision degenerated. He cannot communicate verbally.

Milner said a loss in vision means that sometimes he cannot see the person using the sign language, and so he has to resort to tactile (touch) methods in which he will place his hands over the signer’s hands to feel the movement and location of the signs.  

Milner said he was angry and hurt about the cards he had been dealt with in life for many years until he found solace in spirituality some eight years ago.

“Before I connected with the Witnesses (Jehovah’s), I was very frustrated,” Milner signed. “I was an angry person. As I began to study and understand the Bible, I gave up a lot of bad habits. It wasn’t a quick change, it took years, but I feel I am a happier person for it…”

Many of the hearing and sight impaired that live alone have no opportunity to interact with another humans and this can often lead to a sense of isolation, Franklin explained. By coming to a convention, they can forge friendships. What’s more, they will be in an environment that’s inclusive to their needs.

Muldoon, who works in Mississauga as a sign language interpreter, said his job allows him to help the deaf and deaf-blind individuals like Milner. It has proven to be a fulfilling vocation, both personally and spiritually.

The convention is free and open to all. For more details visit www.jw.org/ase.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/whatson-story/6781820-the-sounds-of-silence-will-dominate-brampton-convention/

• Views 2.6k
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.