The World News Media

What value was there in changing the wording in Song 58, My Prayer of Dedication?

Witness

It is all over the internet.  The changes made to the old “Song 58” and rendered into the new “Song 50” are found here.

The words, “take my mind that I may serve, fully Lord without reserve” have been eliminated.  Does anyone see why?  What has been added into the new song is, “take my silver and my gold.  Nothing, Lord, would I withhold”. 

This song is based on Matt 22:37 - "Jesus said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’" 

Since serving God with our mind is now removed in the new song, what does this tell us?  Is it more important to serve God with our money, as if that is part of whole-souled worship?

“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon [money, possessions, fame, status, or whatever is valued more than the Lord].  Matt 6:24  AMP

• Views 1.1k
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand how someone completely ignorant of the content Gods's Word might draw this erroneous conclusion on the strength of comparing these lines from one of the 151 songs in the book, “Sing O

Yes, I have heard Stephen Lett use this scripture in his rather long presentation on the woes of the organization needing contributions in May, 2015.   “We in no way want to be categorized with o

Those old songbooks are no longer around. Here is what I found on the Internet. When I was a small child lots of our songs had words in common with the best songs/the most truthful songs of Christendo

8 hours ago, Witness said:

Since serving God with our mind is now removed in the new song, what does this tell us?  Is it more important to serve God with our money, as if that is part of whole-souled worship?

I can understand how someone completely ignorant of the content Gods's Word might draw this erroneous conclusion on the strength of comparing these lines from one of the 151 songs in the book, “Sing Out Joyfully” to Jehovah.

However, for the benefit of those genuinely making this error, Proverbs 3:9 shows the thought to be completely in harmony with the encouragement provided in God's word to contribute materially to the advancement of true worship. It reads there, (in context), 

"Honor Jehovah with your valuable things, with the firstfruits of all your produce; 

Then your storehouses will be completely filled, And your vats will overflow with new wine."

11 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

However, for the benefit of those genuinely making this error, Proverbs 3:9 shows the thought to be completely in harmony with the encouragement provided in God's word to contribute materially to the advancement of true worship. It reads there, (in context), 

Yes, I have heard Stephen Lett use this scripture in his rather long presentation on the woes of the organization needing contributions in May, 2015.  

“We in no way want to be categorized with other organization, religious or otherwise that coerce their supporters to donate.“

Song 50 is proof that coercion can be quite subtle. 

The entire chapter of Proverbs 3 is about wisdom – the remembrance of God’s laws, writing them on the tablet of the heart and not trusting in our own understanding, which takes the power and discernment of the mind. (Deut 6:5)

Our intellect is our strength in perceiving, understanding, and reasoning on God’s laws when we set our minds on the spirit of Christ, walking in truth. Ps 86:11; 3 John 1:4 In order to serve God fully, we adopt the mind of Christ, placing his laws before us. 1 Cor 2:16; Heb 10:16; 1 Pet 4:1

If Prov 3:9 was referring to literal possessions, firstfruits out of our own pocket, when the entire chapter speaks of obtaining wisdom that brings life, how do we discern the words following Prov 3:9, that say:

Happy is the man who finds wisdom,
And the man who gains understanding;
 For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver,
And her gain than fine gold.

She is more precious than rubies,
And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her.

Length of days is in her right hand,
In her left hand riches and honor.   Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
And all her paths are peace.
 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her,
And happy are all who retain her. Prov 3:13-18

I doubt you believe that by offering monetary and material possessions to the organization, that your literal storehouse on this earth will be filled and your literal vat with new wine. Joel 2:24; 3:13

“Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds?”  Luke 12:24

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”  Matt 6:33

Matt 6:20,21 - “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.”

If one’s treasure is the organization, where one’s heart lies; then yes, one will give materially to it.  Rev 9:20; James 5:3  Storing up treasures in heaven is the taking in of wisdom from the tree of life, Jesus Christ.  Rev 3:17,18 ; Prov 25:11

As the words in Prov 3:9 are spiritual, signifying the blessings of the Kingdom, (Isa 55:1-5) so is the term “firstfruits”. 

Jer 2:3 - Israel was holiness to the Lord, The firstfruits of His increase. All that devour him will offend;
Disaster will come upon them,” says the Lord.’”

James 1:18 -  Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.

1 Cor 15:20-26 -  But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.  For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead.  For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.  But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming.  Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power.25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet.  The last enemy that will be destroyed is death”

John 1:13 - who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

These are the anointed ones, who follow Christ closely by offering up their lives in the same way as Christ.

Rev 14:4,5 -  “ These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no deceit, for they are without fault before the throne of God.” 

This offering to God of firstfruits under the New Covenant produces both seed and the bread of “wisdom” to others.  John 12:24,25; Rom 6:5,3,4; 1 Cor 15:36-38; 2 Cor 9:10 Hos 10:12  

They are the first of the harvest, with more “children” of God to follow.  1 Tim 2:3,4; 4:10; John 5:24; 4:36; Matt 10:40,41; 1 John 2:2; John 3:16; Acts 26:18; 20:32; Col 1:6,10; Rom 8:17 

Since Christ came to the earth, and our worship made to God is through our whole spiritual heart, spiritual soul, and spiritual mind, material contributions specified as “firstfruits”, to an earthly organization are contradictory to Christ’s teachings.

2 Cor 2:17 - Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.

1 Cor 2:6 - We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.

Godliness cannot be bought with material possessions in any form. 

Rom 8:5-7 - For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.  For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

It may seem a little thing, Eoin Joyce, by picking away at this discrepancy, but by eliminating the phrase in the song, “take my mind that I may serve, Fully, Lord, without reserve” and inserting “take my silver and my gold, Nothing, Lord, would I withhold”, the carnal mind takes precedence over the spiritual, as your teachers, the GB, have proven.  The spiritual food we receive from an anointed one should reflect whole souled, the words of Christ. Matt 12:33

1 Tim 6:3-5 - “If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, (Matt 22:37) and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.”

If one serves Christ and sees his neighbor in need, we give directly to them; our possessions are not lost within a hierarchy that chooses where it goes.  The organization is materially rich, while thousands of its members live at or below the poverty line. 

Dishonest Gain

12 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

I can understand how someone completely ignorant of the content Gods's Word might draw this erroneous conclusion on the strength of comparing these lines from one of the 151 songs in the book, “Sing Out Joyfully” to Jehovah.

"Honor Jehovah with your valuable things, with the firstfruits of all your produce; 

Then your storehouses will be completely filled, And your vats will overflow with new wine."

Just a few days ago, I had an interesting conversation on facebook with a young man from Gaza.  He used to like to read the Bible out loud to me but is somewhat agnostic/atheist at times.  He wanted may opinion of a video whereby an atheist said Mother Theresa accepted money from criminals for orphanages to bear her name and she basically kept women in oppression and poverty by renouncing forms of birth control. etc.

I told him I thought the atheist was overly critical and I could not judge being that families, businesses, corporations and tax payer money is used to support countries that oppress many including women and children, and start foundations, associations or agencies for namesake purposes.

I could only think of the verses below and I posted a commentary from the library:

Luke 16:8 And his master commended the steward, though unrighteous, because he acted with practical wisdom; for the sons of this system of things are wiser in a practical way toward their own generation than the sons of the light are. 9 “Also, I say to YOU, Make friends for yourselves by means of the unrighteous riches, so that, when such fail, they may receive YOU into the everlasting dwelling places. 10 The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much. 11 Therefore, if YOU have not proved yourselves faithful in connection with the unrighteous riches, who will entrust YOU with what is true?

*** it-2 p. 806 Riches ***
He urged his hearers: “Make friends for yourselves by means of the unrighteous riches, so that, when such fail, they may receive you into the everlasting dwelling places.” (Lu 16:9) Since the possession or desire for material riches can lead to lawless acts, they may for this reason have been designated as “unrighteous riches,” in contrast with spiritual riches. Also, material riches, particularly money, actually belong to and are under the control of “Caesar,” who issues money and assigns a particular value to it. Such riches are transitory, and loss may be experienced as a result of economic conditions or other circumstances. Hence, the person having such riches should not put his trust in them, nor should he use them as the world in general does for selfish purposes, such as the amassing of still greater wealth. (1Co 7:31) Rather, he should be alert and diligent to make friends of the possessors of the everlasting dwelling places.

The possessors of “the everlasting dwelling places” are Jehovah God and his Son Christ Jesus. (Compare Joh 6:37-40, 44.) Persons who do not use their “unrighteous riches” in a proper way (as in assisting those in need and in furthering “the good news”; Ga 2:10; Php 4:15) could never be friends of God and of his Son, Christ Jesus. Their unfaithfulness in the use of unrighteous riches would show that they are unfit to be entrusted with spiritual riches. (Lu 16:10-12) Such persons could never be fine stewards of God’s undeserved kindness, dispensing spiritual riches to others.—1Pe 4:10, 11.

Those old songbooks are no longer around. Here is what I found on the Internet. When I was a small child lots of our songs had words in common with the best songs/the most truthful songs of Christendom. They evolved to being more truthful according the enlightened understanding of truth. So maybe one of the older versions of this song probably had those words, and I probably remembered it faintly.

======

Take my life and let it be

consecrated Lord to Thee

Take my moments and my days,

let them flow in ceaseless praise

Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of Thy love

Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee

Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King

Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee

Take my silver and my gold, not a mite would I withhold

Take my intellect and use every power as You choose

Here am I, all of me, take my life, it's all for Thee

Take my will and make it Thine, it shall be no longer mine

Take my heart, it is Thine own, it shall be Thy royal throne

Take my love, my Lord I pour at Your feet, it's treasure store

Take myself and I will be ever, only, all for Thee

Songwriters Christopher Tomlin;Louie Giglio

The composition of music and lyrics has changed throughout history and time.  I sometimes write poems and it can be very difficult at times trying to find the right words to get the right flow along with the thoughts in my head.  I learned it can be the same way with music to find the right words to fit comfortably with a melody or rhythm from music class and a few musicians in the family.  The only language that seems to flow and move beautiful with any music is Hebrew.  No matter the arrangement, every word is perfect.  Every word is music in itself.  This is just my opinion of course from listening to many beautiful psalms and songs sung in Hebrew.

21 hours ago, JaniceM said:

Luke 16:8 And his master commended the steward, though unrighteous, because he acted with practical wisdom; for the sons of this system of things are wiser in a practical way toward their own generation than the sons of the light are. 9 “Also, I say to YOU, Make friends for yourselves by means of the unrighteous riches, so that, when such fail, they may receive YOU into the everlasting dwelling places. 10 The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much. 11 Therefore, if YOU have not proved yourselves faithful in connection with the unrighteous riches, who will entrust YOU with what is true?

Janice,

Because this is a parable, the meaning behind “unrighteous riches” is not that of material possessions that the steward gained by his use of “practical wisdom”, but it is the lust for power and rulership over those of God’s House, those who belong to the Master, Jesus Christ; literally, the anointed Body of Christ.     

The meaning of unrighteous riches can be seen in 1 Cor 4:8 –  “You are already full! You are already rich! You have reigned as kings without us—and indeed I could wish you did reign, that we also might reign with you!”

This steward was cutting the debts owed to the Master, Jesus, using practical “earthly” wisdom to save his own soul, but he had no authority to do so.  Each anointed in God’s house owe the Master a debt.  Thus, the steward’s wisdom is centered not on the Kingdom, as a son of light, but on acquiring power and authority over all in God’s House, as a “son of this system of things”. 

If this steward was to ‘make friends’ by sharing authority with all in the house, he would later be judged by his fellow servants, as faithful.  John 20:23

Jesus requires each servant of his house to give obedience to him only, not to one who thrives on “unrighteous riches”, who assumes the Master’s belongings are in his control.   John 14:23,15; 8:51; 15:10; 1 John 2:5

It is true that when one exercises power and authority over others, material, worldly wealth come along with it.  Ezek 16:14,15; Jer 2:20; Rev 2:21; 17:4; 18:3,7,12-14

But never did Jesus give the indication that material wealth could gain one advantage into the Kingdom. We know his entire message was to follow him, leaving behind anyone and anything, for is name’s sake.  By doing so, he promised those would receive “a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life”.  Matt 19:29

“And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?”  And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”  He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness,  Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”  The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 

Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”  When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

And Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom of heaven.   Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”  Matt 19:16-24

Jesus’ parable of the steward in Luke 16:1-15 and the wicked slave in Matt 18 harmonize in giving a clear picture of the present day situation of undue authority over God’s house by the self-proposed “faithful and discreet slave”, assuming command through the use of tyrannical “unrighteous riches”. 

The Steward of This System of Things, Luke 16:1-15

12 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

Those old songbooks are no longer around. Here is what I found on the Internet. When I was a small child lots of our songs had words in common with the best songs/the most truthful songs of Christendom. They evolved to being more truthful according the enlightened understanding of truth. So maybe one of the older versions of this song probably had those words, and I probably remembered it faintly.

Thank you, Melinda.

At least in this one, reference to one's intellect is still intact.

12 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

Take my intellect and use every power as You choose

Here am I, all of me, take my life, it's all for Thee

It is a very beautiful song. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.