The World News Media

Francais

David Splane explains the overlapping generation again via JW Broadcasting September 2015 

The cutoff date for this generation has now moved to 1992 (was once 1935), the year that Fred Franz died. Therefore now is not the time to become weary - the end is right around the corner.

sources below:

We understand that in mentioning “this generation,” Jesus was referring to two groups of anointed Christians. The first group was on hand in 1914, and they readily discerned the sign of Christ’s presence in that year. Those who made up this group were not merely alive in 1914, but they were spirit-anointed as sons of God in or before that year.

w14 1/15 p. 31 par. 15

16 The second group included in “this generation” are anointed contemporaries of the first group. They were not simply alive during the lifetime of those in the first group, but they were anointed with holy spirit during the time that those of the first group were still on earth. Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke. Today, those in this second group are themselves advancing in years.

w14 1/15 p. 31 par. 16

See previous explanations on the page for Matthew 24.  ( @JW Insider)

Here is a more detailed chart

tumblr_inline_nubm3b57cX1rhcbat_500.png

Overlapping Generation Mathematical Formula

This was sent to me in an email by a brother from Germany. Has anyone tried plugging in different dates to see the results? Is it a fair representation of what David Splane explained? 

It is now literally possible to explain the potential length of the “overlapping generation” with a formula like the following one where X? and X? represent two different (overlapping) groups of anointed persons.

Generation (X?+X?) <= 1914+?[A?]-?[A?]+?[A?]-?[A?]-x

This formula is applicable where A? and A? are symbols referring to anointed persons qualified to be in group one and two, respectively. ?[A?] (lambda of A?) refers to the lifespan of the person in the first group, and ?[A?] (alpha of A?) refers to the age at which A? is said to have been anointed. A person qualifying for inclusion in the second group (A?), must not only be born, but must already be anointed, in or before the year A? dies. We must also consider the following two limiting factors: First, the maximum length of a lifespan (?) usually put in a range from 99 to 119 years. Second, the minimum age at which one may be considered to be anointed (?), put in a range from 10 to 20 years. And, finally, we must subtract x, the number of full years that the lifespan of A? overlapped with A?. If A? happened to be born in the same year that A? died, then this x=0.

Source 

• Views 8.4k
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not speaking for any of the other persons who have questioned it, but the only scripture that was used is this: (Exodus 1:6) 6 Joseph eventually died, and also all his brothers and all that

Many interesting comments! I'll do a bit of analysis later. But.....first impressions, it seems like we are all a bit in the dark! Like Jesus said: "Concerning that day or the hour nobody kn

Of course, Jesus never said anything about these things happening either in greater, more terrifying, or more "concentrated measure." So even if earthquakes, for example, really had started to happen

Posted Images

Looking at those charts, graphs and formulas ... they made no sense to me WHATSOEVER, and I made my living doing math for about 40 years, but not this complicated. ( I could have done better if wearing open-toed sandals..).

While we were out in Service, I asked the smartest brother (seriously) at the Kingdom Hall I go to,  if he could explain the new and improved "this generation..." to me.

He was thoughtful for  several moments, and said: "I think they are trying to do the best they can...".

I thought about showing this post to my wife, Susan, who is a high school math teacher, to see if she could decipher them ... but I suspect her reply would be similar to Albert Einstein's reply when asked if he understood the U.S. Internal Revenue Service Tax Code ... " I am a mathematician .. NOT a philosopher".

By the way .... I have included a Feynman Diagram  that stumped Sheldon Cooper on the Season 1, episode 13 of the TV comedy "The Big Bang Theory", which is a LOT EASIER TO FIGURE OUT.  The answer is reported to be " minus 8 pi alpha" .

You can see almost instantly see they they misinterpreted some of the variables.

( For those in Rio Linda, That was a JOKE! )

UPDATE:  Susan just walked in and saw the "equation" and got upset and said it was all "Mush".

That reminded me of the famous "Drake Equation" ( go ahead.. look it up.. it's worth the effort )  that will accurately predict how many intelligent civilizations currently exist in the Milky Way Galaxy, or the Universe.

IF ( if! ) you plug into the equation the correct set of values.

That is the same problem that exists with EVERYTHING previous to this post.

Since there is no evidence ANYONE has the correct values ... to either philosophy .. and that is what they are ... philosophy ... it's all a wild-assed guess (WAG). 

No more.

MUSH

post-574-0-24388800-1434047794.jpg

The-Big-Bang-Theory-Season-1-Episode-13-45-81d8.jpg

e-mu.jpg

58c3943f08312_oVERLAPPINGgENERATIONS.JPG.19028de3baa127979e77f7315faa778b.JPG

Am I missing something?

The 2 groups overlap in the middle somewhere, like 2 circle intersecting each other, in order to know for certain the details, JWs as members would need to know when the last of the 1st group died and who claimed to be anointed in the 2nd group at the time of the 1st groups deaths. These 2 pieces of data would give an approximate range for the great tribulation to begin, no one would know exactly as those who claim to be anointed may contain some who were not anointed in reality, but an approximation would be ascertained... no one knows the day or hour..true...but maybe a window can be guessed at. The idea that those who became anointed much later and had no contact with the 1st group, gives a get out clause if the idea is wrong, if the tribulation has not come when the 2nd overlapping group dies out, then the remaining anointed who became such later can be said to be part of the 2nd group despite having no contact with the 1st group. In the end the WTBATS is searching for the solution...no one else is.

If you watch the video by David splane it explains it very clearly I don't see the problem no need for hand puppets no supposedly complex calculations there is nothing complex about it... it's simple example of a generation from the bibles record makes it easier to understand I suggest you watch it again if you have a problem with the concept

I think the example of the scripture David gave about the generation in Joshua I forget which one seem convincing and gave the idea of what a generation men from the Bible point of view but really other than knowing the biblical perspective of generation what else is there that can you reference .

I think the brother is assuming that you know what he is talking about by reference to the great tribulation in Matthew and revelation etc.. and brother David splane is assuming that you don't need to be spoon fed on every single thing you know ...that you actually know what he's referring to

17 hours ago, Noble Berean said:

The theory isn't difficult to understand, but where's the Biblical evidence? Br. Flodeen gave the concluding talk at the convention and discussed the new theory--not one scripture was referenced! Very strange...

So, not a single scripture that shows Jesus understood a "generation" to be as currently defined by the Governing Body.  

Anything that is not THAT, is looking into an empty basket, and seeing it overflowing with wisdom ... a self induced FANTASY

NEWSFLASH !,  Jesus understood a generation to be the EXACT same way that EVERYBODY in HIS time understood it ... All civilization marks he time between one statistically average persons' birth and his death .. ONE GENERATION. 

That is the way it has ALWAYS been understood ... since civilization began and they started counting years, AND counting children.

THIS IS HOW JESUS UNDERSTOOD ONE GENERATION !

That is the way EVERYBODY, and I do mean EVERYBODY that is not delusional and trying to CYA with a fantasy explanation understands it now.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS.

You can have overlapping generations between peoples, sure ... BUT THAT IS NOT THE SAME GENERATION..

It only takes ONE sentence and plain old common sense to understand this !

" A generation is the time between ONE statistically average persons'  birth and his death. ".

That's IT ... one simple sentence explains it all.

Every life Insurance company in the world will pay you the policy benefits specified when you reach 100 years of age, even though you have not actually died.

If you are alive at 100 years old, you get the money ... yourself!

Previous threads did answer those concerns, and yes, I did not like them, because ....

... I WAS LOOKING FOR CORRECT ANSWERS that conform to REALITY !

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 5:01 PM, The Librarian said:

The cutoff date for this generation has now moved to 1992

Isn't this just an example for the sake of the argument? Most Jehovah's Witnesses should have heard of Freddie Franz. (Those with sufficient interest in what the generation could be referring to anyway).

The type of mathematics used to "explain" the overlapping generations can ONLY be explained with a chart with pictures, circles and arrows.    This is called "TAXI CAB MATH", and was made famous in the old Radio Program "Amos and Andy", to wit:

Overlapping Generations Taxi Cab Math example .mp3

... be sure your speakers are on.

On 9/6/2017 at 8:09 AM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

So, not a single scripture that shows Jesus understood a "generation" to be as currently defined by the Governing Body.  

“An evil anadulterous generation demands a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” Then He left them and went away.”  Matt 16:4

On 9/6/2017 at 8:09 AM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Anything that is not THAT, is looking into an empty basket, and seeing it overflowing with wisdom ... a self induced FANTASY

“Be careful that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit based on human tradition, based on the elemental forces of the world, and not based on Christ.” Col 2:8

"...wisdom is proved righteous by her children"   Matt 11:19

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Contributors

• Topics

• try the: Bánh bèo Bánh ít ram
    • Definitely should try the Bond roll here when you get a chance: this is a mom and pop place that does a great job  
    • An interesting concept, bible discipline. I am struck by the prevalence of ignorance about spiritual discipline on "Reddit." While physical and mental disciplines receive attention, the profound impact of spiritual discipline on a person's physical and mental well-being is often overlooked. Is it possible to argue against the words of the Apostle Paul? When he penned those words in Hebrews 12, he was recognizing that there are moments when an individual must be "rebuked" in order to be corrected. Even Jesus himself established a precedent when he rebuked Peter and referred to him as Satan for failing to comprehend what Jesus had already revealed to the apostles. Did that imply that Jesus had an evil heart? Not at all, it was quite the opposite; Jesus had a loving heart. His need to correct Peter actually showcased his genuine love for him. If he hadn't cared, he would have let Peter persist in his mistaken ways, leading to a fate similar to Judas'. There is a clear emphasis on avoiding the apostate translation and its meaning, yet many seem to overlook the biblical foundation for the reasons NOT to follow the path of the fallen brethren or those with an apostate mentality. Those individuals have embraced the path of darkness, where the illuminating power of light cannot penetrate, to avoid receiving the righteous discipline based on God's Bible teachings. They are undoubtedly aware that this undeniable truth of life must be disregarded in order to uphold their baseless justifications for the unjust act of shunning. Can anyone truly "force" someone or stop them from rejecting a friend or family member? Such a notion would be absurd, considering the fact that we all have the power of free will. If a Witness decides to distance themselves from a family member or friend simply because they have come out as gay, who is anyone within the organization to question or challenge that personal sentiment? It is unfortunate that there are individuals, both within and outside the organization, who not only lack a proper understanding of the Bible but also dare to suggest that God's discipline is barbaric. We must remember that personal choices should be respected, and it is not for others to judge or condemn someone based on their sexual orientation but should be avoided under biblical grounds. No one should have the power to compel an individual to change their sexual orientation, nor should anyone be forced to accept someone for who they are. When it comes to a family's desire to shield their children from external influences, who has the right to challenge the parents' decision? And if a family's rejection of others is based on cultural factors rather than religious beliefs, who can impose religious judgment on them? Who should true followers of Christ follow? The words of God or those who believe they can change God's laws to fit their lives? How can we apply the inspired words of Paul from God to embrace the reality of God's discipline? On the contrary, how can nonconformists expect to persuade those with a "worldview" that their religious beliefs are unacceptable by ostracizing individuals, when God condemns homosexuality? This is precisely why the arguments put forth by ex-witnesses are lacking in their pursuit of justice. When they employ misguided tactics, justice remains elusive as their arguments are either weak or inconsistent with biblical standards. Therefore, it is crucial to also comprehend Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 9:27. The use of the word "shun" is being exaggerated and excessively condemned by those who reject biblical shunning as a form of punishment. Eph 5:3-14 NIV 3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person — such a man is an idolater — has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.  6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.  8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible. The impact of the message becomes significantly stronger when we emphasize the importance of avoiding any association with unrighteousness and those who remain unrepentant. In fact, it becomes even more compelling when we witness how some individuals, who dismiss biblical shunning as a method of discipline, excessively criticize and condemn the use of the word "shun". Therefore, Jehovah's Witnesses do not shun people; instead, they choose to focus on the negative actions being committed, which is in accordance with biblical teachings. This should be construed as ex-Witness rhetoric. Now, let's consider why ex-Witnesses specifically target one particular religion. What justifications do they provide when other Christian denominations also adhere to the same principle grounded in the Bible? Chapter 1 - Preface Both must therefore test themselves: the one, if he is qualified to speak and leave behind him written records; the other, if he is in a right state to hear and read: as also some in the dispensation of the Eucharist, according to  custom enjoin that each one of the people individually should take his part. One's own conscience is best for choosing accurately or shunning. And its firm foundation is a right life, with suitable instruction. But the imitation of those who have already been proved, and who have led correct lives, is most excellent for the understanding and practice of the commandments. "So that whosoever shall eat the bread and drink the cup of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  It therefore follows, that every one of those who undertake to promote the good of their neighbours, ought to consider whether he has betaken himself to teaching rashly and out of rivalry to any; if his communication of the word is out of vainglory; if the the only reward he reaps is the salvation of those who hear, and if he speaks not in order to win favour: if so, he who speaks by writings escapes the reproach of mercenary motives. "For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know," says the apostle, "nor a cloak of covetousness. God is witness. Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome as the apostles of Christ. But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children."   (from Ante-Nicene Fathers, Volume 2) Divine promises 2. The manner of shunning, in the word escaping. There is a flying away required, and that quickly, as in the plague, or from a fire which hath almost burned us, or a flood that breaketh in upon us. We cannot soon enough escape from sin (Matt 3:7; Heb 6:18). No motion but flight becomes us in this case. Doctrine: That the great end and effect of the promises of the gospel is to make us partakers of the Divine nature. (from The Biblical Illustrator)  
    • Clearly, they are already demanding your exile. Yes! It's unfortunate that Pudgy spoiled a great discussion about science. I hope the discussion can continue without any more nonsensical interruptions. Just a suggestion since they are on your heels. Wow! You speak! It seems you have a lot to say! Now they are going to treat like, who do you think you are, mister big stuff! Are those aliens now going to imply that anyone who speaks out against the five or six key contributors to this site will be treated as though it is George just because those in opposition speak the language they hate to hear, the TRUTH? They are seeking individuals who will embrace their nonconformist values and appreciate what they can offer in shaping public opinion contrary to the established agenda of God and Christ. Their goal is to enhance their writing abilities and avoid squandering time on frivolous pursuits, mainly arguing about the truth they don't care for. They see it all as a mere game, even when leading people astray. They believe they have every right to and will face no biblical repercussions, or so they believe. They just want to have fun just like that Cyndi Lauper song. Be prepared to be belittled and ridiculed, all the while they claim to be angels. Haha! By the way, please refrain from using the same language as George. They appear to believe that when others use the same words, it means they are the same person, and they emphasize this as if no one else is allowed to use similar grammar. It seems they think only they have the right to use the same or similar writing styles. Quite amusing, isn't it? See, what I just placed in bold, now I'm George, lol! Now, let's leave this nice science thread for people that want to know more about science. I believe George left it at "Zero Distance."  
  • Members

No members to show

• Recent Status Updates

• lauleb  »  misette

merci pour ton travail très utile. tu es une aide qui fortifie
      · 0 replies
    • Pamela Dunston  »  T.B. (Twyla)

Hi, TB
      I would like to get the weekly meeting and watchtower materials  and the 2024 convention 
      Attend the 2024 Convention—“Declare the Good News!”
      notebook, I just recently got a new computer, If don't mind my brother to add me on and allow me access to our study again.

Thank you, so much
      Sister Dunston
      · 2 replies
    • SpiritualSister 24  »  DARLENE2022

Hello, Darlene, I just love your name, I had a cousin named Darline, and had a classmate also named Darlene! It's a pleasure to know another Darlene! Especially a Spiritual Sister! There's some websites, Ministry Ideaz , JW Stuff.com, and Etsy that I use to order my yearly buttons for the Conventions! They always send me what I order, and their also Jehovah's Witnesses, that send us the merchandise we order!  You can check out these websites, and they might have what your looking for! I hope I have been helpful in assisting you, Darlene! Agape love, Shirley!😀
      · 1 reply
    • SpiritualSister 24

2024"Enter Into God's Rest" Circuit Assembly! 
      · 0 replies
    • Janice Lewis  »  T.B. (Twyla)

Hello Twyla, when will the weekly study material be available. I am a member.
      Janice Lewis     lewisjanice84@gmail.com
      Thank you
      · 1 reply
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Gardeniableu

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.