The World News Media

The iconic photo of Marcy Borders, who came to be known as the "Dust Lady", on 9/11

TheWorldNewsOrg

Marcy Borders (July 19, 1973 – August 24, 2015) was an American legal assistant who worked at the Bank of America located in the World Trade Center and survived its collapse (WTC1, WTC2, WTC7), following the al-Qaeda attacks on September 11, 2001.

Stan Honda, a photographer for Agence France Presse, captured an image of Borders, completely covered in dust from the building collapse, that subsequently became widely described as "iconic". The image became so well known and so widely distributed, that Borders became known as "The Dust Lady".

A resident of Bayonne, New Jersey, the 28-year-old Borders was working on the 81st floor inside of the North Tower at the time of the attack. Borders said that she never recovered from the trauma of the attack. Depression led to a break-up with her partner, the loss of custody of her children, and an addiction to alcohol and drugs. Borders said that a key event in her recovery and return to sobriety was learning of the death of Osama bin Laden. Borders had preserved the outfit she wore in the iconic photo.

The image Honda took of Borders became iconic; she was remembered in many retrospective articles about the attacks of 9/11. The Daily Telegraph chose her as one of the survivors they profiled on the tenth anniversary of the attack. Borders had been invited to spend the tenth anniversary of 9/11 at a memorial event in Germany.

Borders was diagnosed with stomach cancer in August 2014. Borders's cancer had resulted in a $190,000 debt—even though she had not yet received surgery and she still needed additional chemotherapy. Borders said she could not even afford to get her prescriptions filled. She believed her cancer was triggered by the toxic dust she was exposed to when the World Trade Center collapsed, having once stated, "I definitely believe it because I haven't had any illnesses. I don't have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes." Borders died from cancer on August 24, 2015.

• Views 667
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"It just goes to show you. It's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another." - Roseanne Roseannadanna

Not sure if this is known by you all but regarding 9/11 a lot of forms of media has been altering information, namely wiki, as is with anything concerning recent events for NYT and Guardian doing so proves they, Leftist, cannot be trusted.

Other than that when it happened, I was in elementary school in the Tri-State area. But I was a bit aware in the coming weeks ahead concerning the war, and saw in some points it didn't make sense. US demanded a criminal, and the Taliban asked for evidence, and the US went into the Middle East anyways, hung a dictator due to false claims of WMDs.

13 hours ago, Pudgy said:

Considering who Saddam Hussein really was, I think any manufactured excuse was excellent to hang them, and him.

Grrrrrrrr.

Which led to revenue taking in some parts of Afghanistan. Most Middle Eastern countries were on the Hit List of the US, and Julian Assange had quite a lot to say about it. Syria was next, this got the United Nations involved, but they failed with the accusations of the chemical attack, which some connected to the Coalition group known as Jayish Al-Islam.

That being said, Big Pharma will take a loss here with opium (which is technically good for those who suffer from the opium crisis), concerning the fact that the Poppy Farms are no longer under US control, however, the secondary contender on the second faction of the United Nations, China, is taking interest in The Taliban while at the same time pointing a gun at Taiwan. To quote someone who is among my sources, a Devilishly dangerous game of cards when the super powers involved.

When Fall comes in, there will be a bit of chaos outside of the 1984-ish situation taking place in the EU.