• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please see this post:  

• 6 months later...
On 6/19/2016 at 9:32 AM, The Librarian said:

That question was tackled a couple years ago on jw-archive.org

This link only has one comment after the presented position , to come here to discuss. 

To answer from both the archive link and this one, No, there is no Biblical reason not to celebrate Father's Day/ Mother's Day and the like. It is an unfounded requirement to obey the wt. However, the leaders of the wt are not inspired and regularly dispense errors in doctrine as admitted in Feb 2017 wt. So that leaves it up to the individual to either follow the commands of men, or God.  God, in His holy word, does not condemn this practice from what I can find. 

• 5 months later...
20 hours ago, The Librarian said:

The Bible makes it clear that if a holiday or custom is being deliberately participated in by a Christian, it must have absolutely no known pagan religion associations. (Exodus 20:3; Luke 4:8; 2 Cor. 6:17)

This is quoted from the link posted by the Librarian. 

The Bible does not speak of any such thing in these supporting verses and stating that "the Bible makes it clear" is misleading and in error.

Exodus 20:3 "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Who is claiming that their earthly father is a god? No one I have ever met thinks this way nor celebrates their father like he is a god. 

Luke 4:8 "And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."

I have never heard of, or seen for that matter, anyone worshiping their earthly father. Worship is not even associated with father's day. 

2 Cor. 6:17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

Context shows that this verse has nothing to do with earthly fathers, but rather those who practice the things that God does not approve. Since celebrating father's day has NOT been established by these supporting scriptures, then it is only an assumption created by men who govern peoples lives and not a biblical command. Thus there is NO sound reason from the Bible to forbid people to celebrate and be thankful for the great fathers out there who guide and protect their children. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.