The World News Media

What is the purest form of Christianity?

JW Insider

• Views 1.2k
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes I have felt sorry for the majority of the population of the world, who (over the centuries) have never even heard of Christianity, not to mention that, even today, it's possible that most of

The best help - gift -  we can give anyone is to teach them about Jehovah!   It lifts them out of despair and gives them hope  for a future - something to look forward to!   Many live in poverty (with

Arauna. I subscribe your commentaries. The Watchtower recommendations about helping refugees in material sense should be seen with balance. Yes, Jesus and apostles helped poor people even with m

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Yeah... I feel great pain for the ones we have chased away,

I agree, but I didn't think you would go there on this particular article. Based on the history of "new light" we obviously have had a mix of valid and invalid teachings. We would be foolish to think that this track record somehow disappears after each and every correction. Yet we sometimes act as if our doctrines are unquestionable, or at least that we should treat them as if they are.

The one thing I saw in the article that reminded me of you was this statement:

*** w17 May p. 5 Helping “Foreign Residents” to “Serve Jehovah With Rejoicing” ***
GIVING REFUGEES PRACTICAL HELP
11 At first, we may need to supplement our brothers’ food, clothing, or other basic needs. Even small gestures, like giving a brother a necktie, mean a lot.

I was thinking, "a necktie"? Really? That's on par with supplementing their food, clothing  and other basic needs? It reminded me of a satirical post you made once and something similar I saw once in "The Onion."

I understand if a necktie is big enough, or you are dehydrated enough you can use it as a sunscreen  or makeshift tent ... and a silk tie is an animal protein that can be boiled down, and like how the American Indians and Pioneers used to make glue out of boiled down animal sinew, tendons and such for feathering arrows ...... one glass-full should be good for several weeks.

You can actually SEE the tears in the refugee's eyes when he has walked thousands of miles to escape death, watching his friends die of exposure, dehydration, and disease along the way, crossing borders by night, cold, dirty, starving and wet .. and he is given a NICE TIE!

I am no better ... when I had JW refugees in my home, I went to the grocery store before they got up and bought 16 large cans of Oatmeal, along with the milk and eggs, etc., and hoped I could fill them up with Oatmeal. The cashier asked me if I was feeding refugees, and I was embarrassed to have to answer I was.

Now THAT's INSIGHT!

I occasionally think of the Brother who saw a Mexican Family on the side of the road near El Paso, Texas, obviously starving, as they were eating the sparse vegetation such as they could find ... and invited the entire family to his home for dinner!

He had a VERY NICE Estate on about 20 acres.

They all climbed into his Van, and when they got to his house, he opened the chain-link gate, and he, speaking limited Spanish, pointed them to his beautifully lush green lawn, which needed mowing.

29 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

like giving a brother a necktie, mean a lot.

I kind of understand this to mean that obviously a neck tie doesn't take precedent over necessary things (food, medicine, shelter etc.) but I feel it is more of a sentimental gesture, perhaps making a brother feel "dressed" for the meeting....more of a dignity thing perhaps, and given after, and not instead of all the other necessary things that were taken care of. first...just my opinion

2 hours ago, Arauna said:

Of course we must teach them this but sometimes they just want to  "take" more than "give".  Because witnesses are so 'giving' these people can become predators.   So we must be careful to keep the right focus - first on spiritual help. 

That point was also made clear in the article. Thought of you as I was reading it. You've specialized in the very type of work the article was all about.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:11 AM, Arauna said:

Some have a spiritual need but they are not prepared to let go of their "wants"  to reach out for the promises that Jehovah can give them. They are not spiritual people  but "fleshly".  They evaluate everything in only fleshly terms.  Of course we must teach them this but sometimes they just want to  "take" more than "give".  Because witnesses are so 'giving' these people can become predators.   So we must be careful to keep the right focus - first on spiritual help.   This is why it is wise to look after our own brothers and sisters first - and then reach out to others with "social works."

Arauna.

I subscribe your commentaries. The Watchtower recommendations about helping refugees in material sense should be seen with balance. Yes, Jesus and apostles helped poor people even with money (Jn 13:29).

My experience in this field has to do with a “fight” with my wife. She is all heart. Any refugee, or newcomer to our country she tries to help them with forms, with social counsel and so. Yes, obviously these people react with appreciation, as I would do in similar circumstances. But let me be crystal clear. Only ONE of these persons consume an enormous quantity of time (for me, most valuable than money). I mean, helping with official papers, doctors, hospitals, social rights, understanding of local law… Believe me, ONE person, ONE family, consumes a lot of resources. Well, please, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying no help, or a merely testimonial help. But we’ve found more useful to address these people to social services. They have more skills, more time and more resources than us.

Even more, we avoid the situation (very common) that these people showing interest in our message only because need material help.

Please, again, I’m not saying that we should only preach them without provide material help. But I wish to point out the same as Arauna: balance

And even in the first century Christian congregation, the apostles delegated the work of social services to the ministerial servants so they could devote themselves to preaching and teaching and shepherding.  But as Arauna and others have pointed out social services such as seeing that the widows  did not starve was a "necessary business".  (Some even sacrificed their properties to help those visiting Jerusalem.)

*** it-2 p. 409 Minister ***

An example of the principle governing this arrangement may be found in the action of the apostles when problems arose as to the distribution (literally, the service, di·a·ko·niʹa) of food supplies made daily to those Christians in need at Jerusalem. Stating that it would not be ‘pleasing for them to leave the word of God’ to concern themselves with administration of material food problems, the apostles instructed the disciples to “search out for yourselves seven certified men from among you, full of spirit and wisdom, that we may appoint them over this necessary business; but we shall devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry [di·a·ko·niʹai] of the word.” (Ac 6:1-6) This was the principle; but it does not necessarily hold that the seven men selected were, in this case, not qualified as “older men” (pre·sbyʹte·roi), for this was not a normal or regular situation but a special problem that had arisen, one of a rather delicate nature due to the feeling that discrimination existed because of nationality. Since it affected the entire Christian congregation, it was a matter calling for “spirit and wisdom,” and thus the seven men selected may, in fact, have been in a spiritual sense “older men.” But they were now taking on temporarily an assignment of work such as that which “ministerial servants” might normally handle. It was business that was “necessary” but not of the same importance as “the ministry of the word.”

I am not as good at "charging" scriptures as Comfort is, but I am thinking of this scripture right now : "Let the dead bury the dead, but you go away and declare abroad the kingdom of God". (Luke 9:59,60)  In other words let those who are not conscious of their spiritual needs look after the mundane needs of others of similar attitude. Nothing should crowd out our main spiritual activities. Let them (the refugees) use up the designated authorities for this; but at the same time not deadening our consciences. Where we can help we would but not making it our main focus or letting it distract us. (We are not encouraging people to become "rice Christians".)

(1 Corinthians 2:6) Now we speak wisdom among those who are mature, but not the wisdom of this system of things nor that of the rulers of this system of things, who are to come to nothing.

These designated authorities are to come to nothing.  They are spiritually dead right now as they care nothing about Jehovah's purpose.  Let them look after the mundane things; true Christians focus on the urgent work of helping others get the real life that is promised.

I totally agree with all statements made above.  I have also had one very needy person (could not read or write from Iraq) who monopolized a lot of my time and later found fault with other sisters who did not do the same..... So I learnt through hard experience that we must focus on  "spiritual enrichment " first.

Because we really care, people can see this and take advantage.  Most other churches only focus on "social injustices" and these type of issues by having food banks etc.   I have had people directly ask me if we have "social assistance" because they think all Christian churches focus only on this.

This charity in itself is wonderful - but these Christians have not been given the job by Jehovah as the "faithful and discreet slave" to dispense spiritual food to the rest of the world. All of us has this important commission as those " who are grabbing the skirt of the Jew".   So I now try to imitate them by being "faithful" and 'discreet' - using good judgment regarding focus (and even your own safety) - in these communities. 

Many of them have been traumatized by war (or the way their society operates) and are truly pitiful - but they have no spiritual need.  Most come from communities where a standard of life (the family gold and how much you can pay for a wife) is important.  So we must learn how they think and learn to distinguish who wants "things" and who truly has a spiritual need. 

I have found some (mostly women) who cannot focus on a study because they have just too many emotional stresses because of extreme poverty. Women tend to show this kind of stress very quickly and some have husbands who beat them etc.  In these cases I have helped them fill out forms to get the appropriate social services. However,  I am very careful to come between a husband and wife because we cannot (by helping) be blamed for things that go wrong afterward - so I give only emotional support in these cases.

5 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

And even in the first century Christian congregation, the apostles delegated the work of social services to the ministerial servants so they could devote themselves to preaching and teaching and shepherding.  But as Arauna and others have pointed out social services such as seeing that the widows  did not starve was a "necessary business".  (Some even sacrificed their properties to help those visiting Jerusalem.)

These designated authorities are to come to nothing.  They are spiritually dead right now as they care nothing about Jehovah's purpose.  Let them look after the mundane things; true Christians focus on the urgent work of helping others get the real life that is promised.

Melinda.

Always I read your commentaries, I just simply react: (Acts 26:28) “In a short time you would persuade me to become . . ."  your follower

Glad you were persuaded. So I would not have to work on this on the School, then?

Be like Paul as he was like Jesus.

(Acts 18:4) . . .He would give a talk in the synagogue every sabbath and would persuade Jews and Greeks.

(Acts 26:28) 28 But A·gripʹpa said to Paul: “In a short time you would persuade me to become a Christian.”

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.