• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thanks for this. It almost inspires me - maybe I will do it - to give each a try for a week

Posted Images

I just did a couple Google searches and found a site within the last year stating this:

(I know... the irony of google searching for this answer if laughable)

But I am considering switching over to Bing for awhile to test it out.

Have any of you? What do you think?

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 6.47.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 6.47.55 PM.png

i think that if Google is perceived as too invasive, it will prompt some too check out the competition.

Same thing if it is perceived as too nannylike, directing searches towards 'approved' results.

To the extent Google is proprietary - attempting to lock in its suite of services and lock out the competition, it will prompt some to go elsewhere. Trouble is, most 'elsewhere' does the same.

Every other competitor is finding it hard to creep into the mobile OS. Android owns the world... while Apple owns the USA.... and has Google paying Apple to stay on top here.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie. ;-)

Just for the record:

This is how they currently stack up:

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 7.26.03 PM.png

I think we should spread the word for more people to try a different search engine every month so that no one company has such dominance and information control and dissemination power.

Although I can't imagine using Baidu would be great for me here in the US ;-)

Poor Yahoo just never could keep up could they? I still have my account over there from the mid 90's....

I'm not sure they ever improved... but the reason we all abandoned them for Google has since changed.

Google used to scour the entire web and find what we were looking for... now it's just a huge ad driven and corporate pay to play scheme. Exactly why we left Yahoo. ;-) 

It is DuckDuckGo that catches my interest. it is said to not skew results per what is politically correct or try to define for readers what is fake news and what is real news. 

Having said that, I have yet to use it. (or even remember its name, until prompted) I think now I will try it some, as a supplement.

I like the idea of DuckDuckGo.... I just can't get past that name.... I thought Yahoo was crazy... and Google was stupid... then this..?

What will the next search engine be?  Blah?  :D

I generally use Safari.... and I just noticed that they are so in love with the address bar / search bar combination that they don't offer a separate search bar where I can choose which engine PER search.... I have to go to settings to change the default or just google the search engine.

This Apple / Google / MS controlled bubble world is starting to irritate me.

Whatever happened to the open / free Internet?

I just downloaded Firefox browser and sure enough there is my old search engine box that both Apple and Google have "simplified" out of my life for who knows how many years now:

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 8.02.01 PM.png

INFORMATION BUBBLE HIGHWAY for the masses starts with controlling the browser / mobile OS.