The World News Media

WT: The most important thing for Jehovah is to sanctify himself.

Kosonen

Because I love Jehovah God I wish that he will be sanctified. I wish that everyone would live according to his laws that are for our best. So that Jehovah God could be happy about mankind when he sees that people are truly happy. And that is only possible by living according to God's laws. I wish that Jehovah God could rejoice with mankind in a same way as parents rejoice when their children are happy. 

If we are thankful to God, then we wish that every other person would also be that. That would result in the sanctification of God. 

If we love God more than ourselves, then sanctification of God is more important than our own salvation. That means we would be ready to die for God, even for no reward. That would be love in its full sense. 

But what about God? What is more important for God, wellbeing of righteous angels and righteous people or to be sanctified?

WT organization teaches that for God the most important thing is his own sanctification. And the rest is secondary.

Can that be correct? Or is that a teaching that make God egoistic or even narcissistic?

Is there any real proof in the Bible that God's priority is to sanctify himself? Or is God's priority the wellbeing of good angels and good people?

I believe the latter alternative is the right one.

What does the Bible say?

• Views 1.2k
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think that we need to worry about the difference in priorities of various aspects of Jehovah's purpose. His thoughts are higher than ours, and it's not up to us to try to prioritize specific t

JWs teach that the sanctification of Jehovahs 'righteousness' is most important. (Jehova is the indisputable sovereign - he need not prove it to anyone because he alone has the power to enforce it.)

Sir, I just don’t detect a bit of love that motivates your ideals.   Christ offered himself up to be tortured and killed, to glorify God.  Do you really think he had selfish motives when doing this, o

28 minutes ago, Kosonen said:

Because I love Jehovah God I wish that he will be sanctified. I wish that everyone would live according to his laws that are for our best. So that Jehovah God could be happy about mankind when he sees that people are truly happy. And that is only possible by living according to God's laws. I wish that Jehovah God could rejoice with mankind in a same way as parents rejoice when their children are happy. 

If we are thankful to God, then we wish that every other person would also be that. That would result in the sanctification of God. 

If we love God more than ourselves, then sanctification of God is more important than our own salvation. That means we would be ready to die for God, even for no reward. That would be love in its full sense. 

But what about God? What is more important for God, wellbeing of righteous angels and righteous people or to be sanctified?

WT organization teaches that for God the most important thing is his own sanctification. And the rest is secondary.

Can that be correct? Or is that a teaching that make God egoistic or even narcissistic?

Is there any real proof in the Bible that God's priority is to sanctify himself? Or is God's priority the wellbeing of good angels and good people?

I believe the latter alternative is the right one.

What does the Bible say?

It seems to be a battle between God and Satan that has to be settled once and for all time.  

Humans and angels are onlookers, but angels have greater knowledge of what its all about. 

God has to show once for all time that He has the right to rule in Heaven and over the Earth. 

So, humans are almost like pawns in a chess game. Humans can be resurrected so the death of humans is not so important to God. 

God really does have to prove His right to rule, and to prove He has the power to complete the task. The fact of continuing the human race is probably secondary but to have a human race that will willingly serve Him will be part of the defeat of Satan. 

32 minutes ago, "a holy place" said:

Surely you’re not saying when a person dies faithful to God his motive should be for no reward?  I wouldn’t be very happy with that outcome. That's very depressing.

Sir, I just don’t detect a bit of love that motivates your ideals.   Christ offered himself up to be tortured and killed, to glorify God.  Do you really think he had selfish motives when doing this, or was it out of pure love for his Father?  Each anointed one who walks as Christ walked, bearing his torture stake, would feel the same – love for their Father AND for Christ, as his "Bride".  Yes, they know there is a reward, just as Christ knew,  but a faithful anointed one is motivated to obey God and Christ, first and foremost, out of love.

Mark 12:29-31; 1 Cor chapter 13

9 hours ago, Kosonen said:

Jehovah God could be happy about mankind when he sees that people are truly happy

While individuals can be happy in this world because they draw close to God and experience his approval, the entire creation will only in future be really happy and  thus bring glory to God by living according to his laws of love as he originally planned.

And that is only possible by living according to God's laws.

So true, each person must realize they cannot step into the space of another person and violate his rights.  Self-sacrificing love (not only love) can do this.  When I care more for you than myself and you care more for me than yourself..... this way of thinking will shift the entire societies' outlook on life.

At present, people who really show this kind of love are viewed as weak and most people think they are impractical - especially when it comes to asserting yourself, defence etc.

we love God more than ourselves, then sanctification of God is more important than our own salvation. That means we would be ready to die for God, even for no reward. That would be love in its full sense. 

A wonderful thought. .... and same love for all neighbours. Soon all Christians will be tested for our love for God...... as this world becomes more wicked we will be forced to compromise on those very laws/ principles given byJehovah by condoning immoral practices which have become acceptable to the world.

10 hours ago, Kosonen said:

sanctification of God is more important than our own salvation. That means we would be ready t

JWs teach that the sanctification of Jehovahs 'righteousness' is most important. (Jehova is the indisputable sovereign - he need not prove it to anyone because he alone has the power to enforce it.)

Jehovahs  name must be cleared from the accusation from satan that his sovreignty is a selfish or unjust (unrighteous) sovereignty.   Satan accused God of withholding knowledge of making their own moral decisions from Adam/Eve. Being independent from God would serve them better.

Satan knew that God is just and would allow for the accusation to be tested. God does not break his own righteousness. Satan did not challenge the power if God because he would lose this argument. He challenged the righteousness of Jehovahs rule.

Jehovahs way of ruling is the best way...... and we will all discover this in the new system when we all bring glory to God by letting our ego go and following Jehovahs principles of unselfish love.

Jehovah is humble and righteous - and we will reflect these qualities perfectly in future.   Jehovah gave the ' best he had'  (jesus) to save us from calamity. It was painful for him when his son died even though he knew he could resurrect him. It was the fact that his son had to go through that agony while being righteous.

Jehovahs righteousness will be vindicated because of his unselfish love. Our love for him changes over time as we realize that Jehova is always righteous. While he promises us a reward - I agree with you my brother...... our unselfish love will take us to death for Jehovah - without expecting a reward.

If we only live for the reward and not the love and justice/righteousness, mercy it represents - then our unselfishness needs some work.

9 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

The fact of continuing the human race is probably secondary but to have a human race that will

The love of jehovah and Jesus never includes death. God wants no-one to die but all to be saved.  The whole earth was designed with man in mind.  Satan is the father of death.

This is not a contest (chess game) between the power of god and satan. It is about the love and righteousness of God and the death, chaos and destruction which independence from God brings to all creatures.

16 hours ago, Kosonen said:

WT organization teaches that for God the most important thing is his own sanctification. And the rest is secondary.  Can that be correct? Or is that a teaching that make God egoistic or even narcissistic? Is there any real proof in the Bible that God's priority is to sanctify himself? Or is God's priority the wellbeing of good angels and good people?

I don't think that we need to worry about the difference in priorities of various aspects of Jehovah's purpose. His thoughts are higher than ours, and it's not up to us to try to prioritize specific things that were not already prioritized for us in the Bible. In fact, all the items listed below are tied together so that we cannot really separate, for example, his  sanctification from the well-being of good angels and good people (and "all creation").

• Jehovah's eternal purpose
  • the outworking of His purpose by the Kingdom throughout mankind's history
  • the vindication of His sovereignty
  • the sanctification of Jehovah's name, reputation, righteousness, purpose
  • the explanation for sin, suffering and death in this system
  • the meaning and purpose of the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ
  • the question of motivation for our Christian activities (works); whether reward (hope) or faith and love
  • the central theme of love for both God and neighbor

Each of these is tied together. Sometimes, for example. we (JWs) have concerned ourselves over the priority of Jehovah's vindication or his sovereignty. But when we look at the things that the Bible is concerned with prioritizing, these are not included.  Paul prioritized "love" over faith and hope. Jesus prioritized love of God and neighbor over all other commandments in the law. Jesus prioritized mercy over sacrifice.

The entire book of Romans, especially, ties all these together, and just a few examples will remind us of how Paul touched on almost every subject in the list above

(Romans 8:18-25) 18 For I consider that the sufferings of the present time do not amount to anything in comparison with the glory that is going to be revealed in us. 19 For the creation is waiting with eager expectation for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not by its own will, but through the one who subjected it, on the basis of hope 21 that the creation itself will also be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God. 22 For we know that all creation keeps on groaning together and being in pain together until now. 23 Not only that, but we ourselves also who have the firstfruits, namely, the spirit, yes, we ourselves groan within ourselves while we are earnestly waiting for adoption as sons, the release from our bodies by ransom. 24 For we were saved in this hope; but hope that is seen is not hope, for when a man sees a thing, does he hope for it? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we keep eagerly waiting for it with endurance.

(Romans 5:1-15) . . .Therefore, now that we have been declared righteous as a result of faith, let us enjoy peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we also have obtained access by faith into this undeserved kindness in which we now stand; and let us rejoice, based on hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only that, but let us rejoice while in tribulations, since we know that tribulation produces endurance; 4 endurance, in turn, an approved condition; the approved condition, in turn, hope, 5 and the hope does not lead to disappointment; because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy spirit, which was given to us. 6 For, indeed, while we were still weak, Christ died for ungodly men at the appointed time. 7 For hardly would anyone die for a righteous man; though perhaps for a good man someone may dare to die. 8 But God recommends his own love to us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. . . . 12 That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned—. 13 For sin was in the world before the Law, but sin is not charged against anyone when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless, death ruled as king from Adam down to Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the same way that Adam transgressed, who bears a resemblance to the one who was to come. 15 But the gift is not like the trespass. For if by one man’s trespass many died, how much more did the undeserved kindness of God and his free gift by the undeserved kindness of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound to many!

8 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

[Romans 5:13,14] 13 For sin was in the world before the Law, but sin is not charged against anyone when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless, death ruled as king from Adam down to Moses

Just a quick aside, but was this verse [Romans 5:13] ever used in support of the idea that the Watchtower had taught about persons destroyed at Sodom, for example, when we said that they would still have a chance for a resurrection?

On 1/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, Kosonen said:

Is it wrong to serve God for a reward? It depends on what we consider to be a reward. If it is purely for selfish reasons, for what personal benefit we can get, regardless of how it affects others, yes it would be wrong. (That's why looking to dates can be a dangerous game - ((although it can serve as a net to catch pretenders who only serve God for personal benefit)).  But consider please the example Jesus set as described at Hebrews 12:2: "as we look intently at the Chief Agent and Perfecter of our faith, Jesus. For the joy that was set before him he endured a torture stake, despising shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." As the comments in the Study Bible correctly state: "What was 'the joy that was set before (Jesus)' for which he endured a torture stake"?  It was the joy of seeing what his ministry would accomplish - including the sanctification of Jehovah's name, the vindication of God's sovereignty, and the ransoming of the human family from death." (That in itself was a reward to Jesus). BUT, "he also looked ahead to the reward of ruling as King and serving as High Priest to the benefit of mankind." Was that selfish of Jesus? No. Not when you consider that it was God himself who held out the hope Jesus had. 

So we can see that it is not necessarily a question of only one or the other. Even for those who love Jehovah and feel that obedience is it's own reward, Jehovah himself has always rewarded faithfulness and seen it proper to do so. In fact he often gave the the choice to reap the rewards of obedience or disobedience - whether "blessing or malediction." 

At 1 Cor. 15:32, under inspiration Paul stated: "If like other men, I have fought with wild beasts at Ephesus, of what good is it to me? If the dead are not to be raised up, 'let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we are to die." So Paul was saying that if there was no reward for obedience in the form of a resurrection, why not live it up? If death ends it all, living for the present makes perfect sense." (comment from Study Bible). Again, we recall that Jehovah inspired Paul to write those words and it is historically true that Jehovah has always shown appreciation for and rewarded obedience. Even in the Garden of Eden, our first human parents had a wonderful prospect held out to them - everlasting life in perfection if they were obedient. Such obedience also shows we love God and respect him. 1 John 5:3 "for this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments..." Study Bible comments: "As described in the Bible, love for God is much more than a feeling In fact, although the feeling of love for Jehovah is essential, that feeling is just the beginning of real love for him. An apple seed is essential to the development of a fruit-bearing apple tree. If you wanted an apple, however, would you be content if someone merely handed you an apple seed? Hardly! Similarly, a feeling of love for Jehovah God is only a start. The bible teaches: "This is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments;..." To be genuine, love for God must bear fine fruit. It must be expressed in actions." (Matt. 7:16-20)

So a romanticized version of what it means to love God actually leaves God out of the picture. It leaves out how he views obedience and how he is ready, willing and able to reward obedience - and how it is proper for him to do so (as a God of love and justice). Heb. 11:6: "...without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." The comments in the Study Bible for Hebrews 11:6 are of interest here - very pertinent.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:05 PM, "a holy place" said:

Sorry you are much mistaken in your definition of selfish, and sir ..i don't get your motive at all.  Jesus did not come to sacrifice his eternal life, he sacrificed his flesh and blood as a ransom and in remaining faithful to death he knew he'd be honored and gloried by God and he expected it.  You paint God as overly demanding and selfish.  Even Jesus apostles expected to be rewarded in the kingdom for their sacrifice.  Were the apostles selfish ?

YES, Jesus sacrificed his physical life.  But you seem to be telling me he did this only to receive glory, which he expected to receive?

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: love each other as I have loved you13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  John 15:11-13

God is love. (1 John 4:8)  God is Spirit. (John 4:24)   Jesus and the Father are as one, united in the Spirit of Truth and love. (John 17:22)   During an anointing, Holy Spirit is poured into one’s heart – the Spirit of Truth and love.  (Rom 5:5; 1 John 2:27)

God’s Word, His decrees/commandments were fulfilled in the coming of Christ.  Love is the fulfillment of those commandments.  (Rom 13:10)   These “laws” of love, are written on the heart of an anointed one.  (Heb 8:10)   Since the word of God is “inspired” by Holy Spirit, (2 Tim 3:16,17)  the product, the fruit, of the Spirit that resides in the anointed heart, is outlined in Gal 5:22,23.  LOVE is listed first.  All other attributes listed, are the product of love. 

When I was a child, I adored my fleshly father.  He gave me loving attention, and I gave it back. I followed him everywhere and I did my best to please him through my obedience.   He never promised me anything unusual, since we didn’t have spare funds for the “unusual”, let alone barely for the usual. I didn’t expect a reward for my obedience. I obeyed because I loved him and he returned my love.     

Love is a gift of Holy Spirit that motivates one to serve God and Christ no matter the reward. It is not that one is blind to what God promises to those who love Him and are obedient to Him, but it is the compelling desire to be where the source of light, love and truth exists; to be united with God and Jesus in that love. 

“Either way, Christ’s love controls us. Since we believe that Christ died for all, we also believe that we have all died to our old life. He died for everyone so that those who receive his new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them.”  2 Cor 5:14,15

This is the exchange of love between the Father and His Son:  

After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:

“Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

“I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your wordNow they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. 11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power ofyour name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

13 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.  John 17:1-18

4 hours ago, Witness said:

But you seem to be telling me he did this only to receive glory, which he expected to receive?

I can't claim to speak for anyone else here, but it appears to me you are going beyond the scope of your reference as to what people are trying to say here or maybe it's a misunderstanding. Let's use your example below as a starting point:

4 hours ago, Witness said:

When I was a child, I adored my fleshly father.  He gave me loving attention, and I gave it back. I followed him everywhere and I did my best to please him through my obedience.   He never promised me anything unusual, since we didn’t have spare funds for the “unusual”, let alone barely for the usual. I didn’t expect a reward for my obedience. I obeyed because I loved him and he returned my love.     

So, let's say for example, your father asked you to go to bed early and get up early to walk the 2 miles to the box and get him the latest newspaper for tomorrow. Let's say he also promises that if you do that, he will give you a dollar. Great right? But is that dollar the only reason you would get the paper if you loved your father? No, you would do it out of love and respect for him. Still, since he also loves you, and recognizes that it may require no small measure of self-sacrifice, he offers to reward you with a dollar - even though he knows you love him and would probably do it for free. He sees that as both loving and fair on his part. In fact, he offers you that reward even before you actually perform the task. (He doesn't ask you to do it and say: "Maybe I'll give you something... we'll see." He offers it right up front.) So if you performed that task, it would be fair to "expect" he would give you a reward now, like he said he would, even though you might have done it for free. Jehovah does the same thing. He knows he asks a lot of us in facing the challenges of obedience in the face of Satan's vicious attacks and our own discouraging imperfections. He also knows that there will be individuals who would serve him out of love - and prove Satan a liar. We know he knew this even before he offered any rewards for obedience to such ones when he made the prophecy at Gen. 3:15 which assumed the obedience of his own Son as well as others. But Jehovah didn't leave it at that. He later made it clear that he would rightly show appreciation for obedience by rewarding such individuals. So it wouldn't be wrong to "expect" Jehovah to fulfill his promise of a reward, even if they would have done it for free. And Jehovah offers those rewards right up front. That however, does not support Satan's challenge that all humans only serve God for selfish gain or to save themselves. Jehovah knew Job was a faithful man and Jesus would be faithful under test as well - even before promising them anything. And he was right. He was also right to reward faithfulness of humans in the face of tests that they would not normally have expected (not part of the original deal) while perfect in the Garden of Eden. This was uncalled for. So obedience is an evidence of our love for God and reward is an evidence of God's love for us.

13 hours ago, b4ucuhear said:

So a romanticized version of what it means to love God actually leaves God out of the picture. It leaves out how he views obedience and how he is ready, willing and able to reward obedience - and how it is proper for him to do so (as a God of love and justice). Heb. 11:6: "...without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." The comments in the Study Bible for Hebrews 11:6 are of interest here - very pertinent.

It's long, but worth repeating: (Re: Hebrews 11:6 "Whoever approaches God  must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him."

From the comments in the Study Bible:

"We love Jehovah "because he first loved us." (1 john 4:19) As one expression of his tender love, Jehovah has taken the initiative to bless his loyal servants. The more we love our God, the stronger our faith becomes, not only that he exists, but they he unfailingly rewards this whom he loves. (Heb. 11:6). Being a rewarder is an integral part of who Jehovah is and what he does. Our faith is not complete unless we are firmly convinced that God will reward those who earnestly seek him, for "faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for." (Heb. 11:1) Yes, faith involves the certain expectation of God's promised blessings. How, though, does the hope of a reward benefit us? How has Jehovah rewarded his servants, both in the past and in the present? Let us see.

Jehovah Promises to Bless His Servants Jehovah god has obligated himself to reward his faithful servants, so he invites us to reach our for his blessing. We read: "Test me out, please,...' Jehovah or arms says, 'to see whether I will not open to you the floodgates of the heavens and pour our on you a blessing until there is nothing lacking.'" (Mal. 3:10) We show our deep appreciation and gratitude when we accept Jehovah's generous offer. 

Jesus assured his disciples that if they would put the Kingdom first, God would support them. (Matt. 6:33) The certainty of Jesus' promises was based on Jehovah's perfect record of trustworthiness. Jesus knew that God's promises never fail. (Isa. 55:1) We, in turn, can be certain that if we manifest heartfelt faith in Jehovah, he will keep his promise: "I will never leave you, and I will never abandon you." (Heb. 13:5) We can link that inspired statement with what Jesus said about seeking first the Kingdom and God's righteousness.

The apostle Peter once asked Jesus: "We have left all things and followed you; what, then, will there be for us?" (Matt. 19:27). Instead of rebuking Peter for asking that question, Jesus told his disciples that they would be rewarded for their sacrifices. The faithful apostles and others will rule with him in heaven. But even now there are rewards. Jesus said: "Everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children of lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit everlasting life." (Matt. 19:29) His disciples would gain blessings far in excess of any personal sacrifices they might make. 

An Anchor for the Soul  By promising  his worshippers a reward, Jehovah helps to sustain them during tests of integrity. Besides enjoying rich spiritual blessings now, Jehovah God's faithful servants eagerly look forward to even greater blessings in the future. (1 Tim. 4:8) Yes, our being firmly convinced that Jehovah "becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him" will help us to stand firm in the faith. (Heb. 11:6)

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said: "Rejoice and be overjoyed, since your reward is great in the heavens, for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to you." (Matt. 5:12). Aside from those who will receive a reward in heaven, the prospect of everlasting live on a paradise earth is indeed reason to rejoice and be overjoyed. (Ps. 37:11; Luke 18:30) Whether heavenly or earthly our hope can serve as an "anchor for the soul, both sure and firm." (Heb. 6:17-20). Just as an anchor keeps a ship steady during a storm, the sure hope of a reward can help us to maintain our emotional, mental, and spiritual stability. It can help us to have the strength to endure hardships...

Jehovah Was Their Rewarder The Bible was recorded for our benefit. It contains many accounts of how God did indeed rewarded faithful servants. (Rom. 15:4) Joseph was an outstanding example. As a result of a conspiracy by his brothers and the later treachery of his master's wife, he found himself in an Egyptian prison. Was he cut off from his God? Not at all! "Jehovah continued with Joseph and kept showing loyal love to him...Jehovah was with Joseph and Jehovah made whatever he did successful." (Gen. 39:21-23) Joseph, through those trialsome times, waited patiently on his God.

Years later...Because Joseph remained loyal to God, he was rewarded with blessings that resulted in the preservation of life both for the Israelites and for the Egyptians. The point is, Jeosph recognized that it was Jehovah who had rewarded him and blessed him. (Gen. 45:5-9)

Jesus Christ likewise remained obedient to God through various tests of his faith, and he was rewarded. What helped him to cope? God's Word explains: "For the joy that was set before him he endured a torture stake, despising shame." (Heb. 12:2) Jesus certainly found joy in being able to sanctify God's name. Furthermore, he was rewarded with his Father's approval and many wonderful privileges. The Bible reports that he "has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." And elsewhere we read: "God exalted him to a superior position and kingly gave him the name that is above every other name." (Phil. 2:9)

Jehovah Does Not Forget What We Do We can be sure that Jehovah appreciates every effort that we make to serve him...we can have full confidence in Jehovah's tender regard for what his servants do to stay faithful to him. (Heb. 6:10, 11)

Rewards Now and Forever Spirit-anointed Christians are sustained by the prospect of receiving "the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give...as a reward in that day." (2 Tim. 4:7,8) ...Millions of Jesus' "other sheep" eagerly anticipate the future reward of everlasting life on a paradise earth. There "they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." (John 10:16; Ps. 37:11)... (Jehovah) rewards every expression of sacred service that springs from a heart motivated by faith and love, no matter how insignificant it might seem to the giver of the sacrifice. (Mark 12:41-44)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Of course, our main reason for serving Jehovah is our love for him. (Mark 12:30). Still, we should look eagerly to the reward In fact, Jehovah expects us to do so! Hebrews 11:6 says: "..." Why does Jehovah want us to view him as a Rewarder? Because when we do, we show that we know our heavenly Father well. He is generous, and he loves his children...Moses had power, prestige and the wealth of Egypt at his disposal. Would he pursue these things, or would he serve Jehovah? Moses courageously chose the latter. Why? Because he "looked intently toward the payment of the reward." (Heb. 11:24-26). Yes, Moses was certainly not nonchalant about the hope that Jehovah set before him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jehovah the Rewarder  Of course, we serve Jehovah because we love hime - not just because he promises to reward us. Still, keeping close in our heart the hope of a reward is not improper or selfish. (Col. 3:23,24) Out of his love for them and the high value he places upon them, Jehovah takes the initiative and rewards those earnestly seeking him.

...this is already a lot and there are more comments that continue exploring the same subject. But this should give an idea...

4 hours ago, b4ucuhear said:

I can't claim to speak for anyone else here, but it appears to me you are going beyond the scope of your reference as to what people are trying to say here or maybe it's a misunderstanding. Let's use your example below as a starting point:

To be clear, I was responding to the comment by  @"a holy place". who commented on @Kosonen opening statement, of which I totally agreed with.

@Kosonen:  If we love God more than ourselves, then sanctification of God is more important than our own salvation. That means we would be ready to die for God, even for no reward. That would be love in its full sense. 

@"a holy place"  You said-   "If we love God more than ourselves, then sanctification of God is more important than our own salvation. That means we would be ready to die for God, even for no reward. That would be love in its full sense."

Surely you’re not saying when a person dies faithful to God his motive should be for no reward?  I wouldn’t be very happy with that outcome. That's very depressing.

4 hours ago, b4ucuhear said:

So obedience is an evidence of our love for God and reward is an evidence of God's love for us.

You made a fine post.    

This is the act of mutual love.  Obedience glorifies God and denounces Satan’s accusations against us. Every act of obedience Jesus performed as a human, glorified God.  It was the evidence of his love for Him.  We wouldn’t expect anything different from Jesus, since he is one with the Father. 

Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son."  John 14:9-13

For us, a gift has already been presented, the gift of life in Christ’s sacrifice.  Any anointed one who values that gift laid before them, gratefully loves the Father and Christ, and will live and “do the works” that Jesus outlined for those who are “in Christ”.  This requires a sacrifice of life, the giving up of living for oneself and freely having faith in the God who loves us.  It can only be accomplished through grateful love AND relying on God and Christ to help us to be faithful. 

“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”  2 Cor 6:19-20

Just as Jesus is one with the Father, God’s anointed are “one” with Christ in Spirit.  As they grow in their understanding of what lays before them, they live as Christ lived.  They are tested by Satan, persecuted, slandered and refined.  No one, can accomplish that without love for God and Christ and the grace bestowed on them to carry it out.  The "reward" of glory they receive, for their faith and victory over Satan's accusations against them, gives ultimate glory to God and Jesus Christ.  

It goes back to what Kosenan said, “If we love God more than ourselves, then sanctification of God is more important than our own salvation. That means we would be ready to die for God, even for no reward. That would be love in its full sense.”

Thanks you all who have commented about love for our heavenly Father Jehovah God. It is hard to be irritated while speaking or reading about love, isn't it?

Love is really the greatest feeling. It feels good, it makes one relaxed. While sensing love, fears and anxieties are forgotten. When one feels love, he or she feels content and does not feel need for anything else. A person that feels love would only want that this feeling did not disappear. 

No wonder therefore why God's word, the Bible recommends to always feel love, because there is nothing better. 

But that is of course difficult due to all kinds of difficulties. But surely Jehovah God will help us feel more love to Him, and to His only-begotten son Jesus Christ and to people around us if we pray for that regularly in the name of Jesus Christ.

Let's dig deeper into this subject. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.