Replies

Views

The Librarian -
The Librarian -

Top Posters

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jack Ryan
      Why is God ok with Slavery yet so against the Gays?
    • By Jack Ryan
      Sounds like a Buzzfeed article doesn't it?
      You'll never believe number 7 ?
      Click next to continue slideshow...
    • By Jack Ryan
      The video starts in a board room meeting where a group of men are brainstorming experiences which they can share – and one of the pinpoints “Sally”. ?
      The clip then cuts to a young woman walking around what appears to be a market.
      She seeÂ’s women wearing rainbow bracelets, with rainbow posters showing two stick-figure women holding hands.
      When she goes to the till she’s asked if she would like to “make a donation to the marathon”, to which Sally says “no, thank you”.
      She then walks to a separate store and purchases a blanket.
      While waiting she sees a number of women wearing the bracelet.
      The woman who serves her asks Sally if she would like her rainbow bracelet in the bag or if she would like to wear it now.
      “No thank you,” Sally repeats again.
      “What’s wrong honey?” A third woman then questions her. “You got something against them?” 
      “Well no I don’t have anything against them personally,” she begins to reply, but she is then cut off.
      “So what’s the problem?”
      “I respect that they have a right to choose their lifestyle but as a Bible reader,” Sally begins to try and explain.
      “Excuse me I’m a bible reader too I go to church and our church is one of the biggest supporters for this marathon,” the woman replies.

“Displaying courage now will help me display courage in the future,” a voice tells her.
      “Well I’m one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and we believe the bible teaches sex is for a man and a woman who are married,” Sally says.
    • By The Librarian
      Allen Malcolm - The Family in Jehovahs Arrangement.mp3
      Agape!
      @The Librarian
    • By Jack Ryan
      He is a current member of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses 
      Anthony Morris on Ireland Gay Marriage Vote (HD).mp4
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      JACKSON, MI - He has been on his own since his adopted parents, wanting the girl he wasn't, ousted him at 15.
      He has been sexually assaulted. He has been called names, subjected to sometimes insulting gender questions and blatantly refused service in bars or restaurants.
      And, stubborn and undeterred, he donned a rainbow cape. He assumed the face of a re-energized - and long-failing - movement to pass an ordinance in Jackson protecting people against discrimination because they are gay, because they are transgender, because they aren't as some say they should be.
      It drew unprecedented crowds to City Council meetings and passed, despite some fervent opposition, so Nikki Joly grabbed hold of the momentum and went further. He put together the first Jackson Pride Parade and Festival, complete with a RuPaul impersonator in a leopard jumpsuit on Michigan Avenue.
      Five days later, Joly's house on Pringle Avenue, shared by his partner Chris Moore, burned in a fire determined to be arson.
      "He knows that he is a target. And that is a hard way to live," his friend Kim Cwynar said. "And yet, he perseveres, every single day. Stepping up to the plate, standing up for others, speaking up for others."
      For that tenacity and strength, his part in the historic legislation and his continued community volunteerism, Joly, 53, of Jackson has been named the 2018 Citizen of the Year.
      "There is no space for hate and ultimately, love will win," Joly said. "I believe that, 99 percent of the time."
      Joly directs the Jackson Pride Center, opened this year after people said it wasn't possible, in the St. John United Church of Christ, 801 S. Mechanic St. Unpaid, he takes phone calls any time of the day or night from people in trouble or in need of a listener, from struggling teens without places to stay, from a parent worried about a gay son or daughter. "Just love them," he advises.
      A nurse, he volunteers, too, as a member of the local chapter of the American Red Cross Disaster Action Team, called to house fires and other incidents, and has been mobilized to respond to hurricanes, floods or other problems in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi and elsewhere.
      "It's impossible to feel bad when you are doing something for someone else" he says
      In response to a challenge levied during discussions of the nondiscrimination ordinance, he attends every City Council meeting - after the usual Tuesday "cocktails and council," open to anyone, typically at The Chase Sports Bar.
      He knocked on many doors campaigning for his candidates, is a regular protester outside the offices of U.S. Rep. Tim Walberg, and urges others to take part in democracy. "We need to let them know we are watching," he said.
      Somewhat rebellious and willing to break rules, he is also warm and big-hearted. "Like the opposite of the Grinch," Cwynar said.
      He is a person of more action than words
      'Whatever he thinks is right'
      At the Jackson Interfaith Shelter on a recent Friday night, delivering gifts and goodies on behalf of the Pride Center, Joly made a special trip to Meijer when he realized a mix-up left one small girl without a present. 
      Joly spent the two earlier days working to deck the downtown train depot since he learned the usual decorator, a dedicated station enthusiast, was struggling with health issues.
      The next day, he delivered more presents, some to a disabled transgender woman without family in Jackson. "It made my Christmas," said Diane Schmidt, 50.
      Such examples are easy to find. Joly and Moore even volunteered last year at Queen of the Miraculous Medal Catholic Church. This year, they opened their home on Christmas. "You don't need to be alone," Joly wrote on Facebook.
      "Nikki just tries to do whatever (he) thinks is right for anybody and everybody," said friend Don Tassie, a former school administrator who enjoys Joly's support in his "Be more kind" movement.
      Sitting at his new home shortly before Christmas, Joly was wearing one of Tassie's yellow shirts. The phrase was written in black on the side of the oversized button-down, hanging over loose-fitting jeans.
      Never 'pink and sweet'
      Joly, born female, has always been activist-minded even if it was not always openly.
      In high school, when he was told he had to wear a skirt to graduation, he rolled up his pant legs so they were invisible beneath his gown. In college, he successfully contended he should be able to wear the men's nursing uniforms. "And I almost got kicked out."
      He was born in Detroit and grew up in Clare, a small town north of Mount Pleasant. His mother was not able to take care of him. He bounced in and out of foster care homes until he was adopted by a couple, a substitute teacher and a shoe company manager. They were Jehovah's Witnesses, who "reject all sexual misconduct, including homosexuality," states the faith's website.
      They wanted a "girly" little girl, Moore explained. "And that's not what they got."
      Joly prefers a masculine pronoun and is gender nonconforming, meaning his physical and behavioral characteristics do not correspond with those typically associated with his sex. He has always despised dresses and being "pink and sweet."
      "In the church, we were told about the evil homosexuals and there was no other discussion," Joly said.
      Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2017/12/lgbt_rights_activist_nikki_jol.html
    • By Jack Ryan
      From the June 2017 Watchtower:

In the Spanish version they used the phrase "wrong desires" and in the German edition they used the term "fleshly desires"
    • By The Librarian
      Does the Bible teach that homosexuals are bad people? Can a Christian please God while feeling attracted to the same sex?
      Source
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Friday's parliamentary vote in Berlin to recognize the right of same-sex couples to wed was a long-awaited victory for German liberals. But the vote was a defeat for the woman who seemed to have emerged as one of the country's most popular icons of liberalism: German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
      She welcomed over 1 million refugees, abandoned nuclear energy over safety fears and has urged President Trump to respect human rights.
      On Friday, however, Merkel voted against same-sex marriage, despite having paved the way to its recognition only days earlier.
      The anti-marriage-equality party line of Merkel's Christian Democratic Union (CDU) had long prevented the law from being passed. But on Monday, the German chancellor cleared the way for the issue to win approval in the German Parliament by allowing lawmakers to choose according to their personal convictions after being pressured into a vote by the Social Democratic Party. “I would like to steer the discussion more toward the situation that it will be a question of conscience instead of me forcing something through by means of a majority vote,” Merkel said earlier this week.
      Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/06/30/why-angela-merkel-known-for-embracing-liberal-values-voted-against-same-sex-marriage/?utm_term=.b6ce6745071c
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Date:
      June 6, 2017
      Source:
      Michigan State University
      Summary:
      The power of friendship gets stronger with age and may even be more important than family relationships, indicates new research.
      The power of friendship gets stronger with age and may even be more important than family relationships, indicates new research by a Michigan State University scholar.In a pair of studies involving nearly 280,000 people, William Chopik found that friendships become increasingly important to one’s happiness and health across the lifespan. Not only that, but in older adults, friendships are actually a stronger predictor of health and happiness than relationships with family members.“Friendships become even more important as we age,” said Chopik, assistant professor of psychology. “Keeping a few really good friends around can make a world of difference for our health and well-being. So it’s smart to invest in the friendships that make you happiest.”
      Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170606090936.htm
    • By Queen Esther
      STANDARD: Jehovah's or MAN"S  - It's not a hate issue, but rather a love for God and his standards.
      https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102016128#h=1:0-41:153
      Matthew 19:4-6. I don't hate gays but I do love my God and I chose to live and abide by his words, which say that two men should not lie down together, nor should two women. God says it is an abomination/detestable to him. Leviticus 18:22
    • By Bible Speaks
      25 "Therefore, now that you have put away deceit, each one of you speak truth with his neighbor, because we are members belonging to one another." (Eph.4:25) NWT
      Don't let your ears witness what your eyes didn't see. Don't let your mouth speak what your heart doesn't  feel.    Live a honest life for Jehovah! 

IMG_8907.mov
    • By TrueTomHarley
      "Most of the field service presentations she learned growing up will not work in their new territory, Brittany told me. They are considered rude. You can’t just launch into what you’ve come to talk about. First you must inquire about their family, and tell about yours. You have to tell about your children, for family is very important. When she tells them she doesn’t have children, they are concerned. Of course, part of hospitality is to find out why. They smile. ‘You married late in life;’ that is the reason. When they find that it is not, they realize you are on your second marriage. When that conclusion, too, proves false, they are very saddened: you lost your children in some tragic accident. Then they grow very still when you tell them you did not. They have finally discerned the true reason, but it is almost too delicate to bring up, though they do anyway - something is wrong with your equipment. Brittany’s student has drawn her a chart to help her understand how many children she should have at her age."
      From chapter 18 of Tom Irregardless and Me. 30% Free Preview
    • By The Librarian
      Marriage and the family are under attack. The Bible provides the key to happy family life. Source
    • By Bible Speaks
      Fancy a Fungus?
      IN ANCIENT Egypt the Pharaohs prized mushrooms as delicacies. They became the preserve of the royal family. 
      The Romans called mushrooms food of the gods and served them only on special occasions. 
      The ancient Greeks held mushroom feasts and believed that mushrooms empowered their warriors for battle.
      Today, however, mushrooms are not just for the elite. People all over the world enjoy eating them! 
      What about you? If you fancy mushrooms, do you know what you are eating? Are mushrooms animals, vegetables, or something else? How are they grown? Are they nutritious? And if you see mushrooms in the wild, what should you do?
      Noel, a burly Australian, is a microbiologist and mushroom expert. He studied mushroom cultivation in several countries before returning to Australia to grow them commercially.
      “Mushrooms are fungi, a family of organisms that includes mildews and molds,” he explains.
      “Biologists formerly thought that fungi were plants, but we now know that they are very different from plants.
      “For example, fungi do not make their food through photosynthesis as do nearly all plants. They can grow in the dark.
      Their bodies secrete powerful enzymes that convert organic material into basic nutrients, which they absorb as food.
      This unique digestive process also distinguishes fungi from animals. Since fungi are neither plants nor animals, biologists now classify them in a realm of their own—the fungi kingdom.”
      “In the wild, mature mushrooms release millions of tiny spores that mix with other mushroom spores and germinate,” Noel continues. “If the . . . spores land in a cold, damp place with plenty of food, they can grow into new mushrooms. 
      Commercial mushroom growers aim to replicate this process using controlled conditions to improve crop yields and quality.”
      It can be very dangerous to gather mushrooms in the wild, however.
      The death cap mushroom (Amanita phalloides), among others, closely resembles edible varieties yet is deadly. So follow the rule: Never eat mushrooms from the wild unless a mushroom expert identifies them as safe to eat!
      Of course, commercially grown varieties are safe to consume. They are, in fact, delicious treats that were once reserved for royalty!
      http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102012088#h=9

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Devon and Cornwall Police have said a leaflet posted through doors in North Devon isn't a crime – despite it advising gay people to "control their urges".
      The leaflet, entitled "How to Harness Your Habits", was distributed in North Devon by Jehovah's Witnesses and contains an article asking "What does the Bible say about homosexuality?"
      In it, the religious group states that "rejecting homosexuality" is completely different to "rejecting people of a different skin colour" and says their views are the same as people who "view smoking as harmful and even repugnant".

It also compares gay people to animals, but says "unlike animals, they can choose not to act on their impulses".
      The Journal was contacted by a reader, who wishes to remain anonymous, who felt "belittled" by the leaflet.
      "I completely respect other peoples' beliefs and people who disagree with homosexuality because of their religion do not bother me," she said.
      "But when people actively seek you out to force their beliefs upon you and tell you that what you are doing is wrong then that does upset me.
      "They have encroached on my life by forcing their literature into my home and belittled my relationship and my life."
      Using passages from the Bible as, the text also says: "A person who has homosexual leanings can control what he allows his mind to dwell on, just as he would control any other wrong desire, including leanings towards anger, adultery or greed."
      However, it also says "the Bible does not encourage prejudice, hate crimes or any other kind of mistreatment of homosexuals".
      Devon and Cornwall Police looked at the leaflet and stated: "We have been made aware of some religious materials which have been distributed in North Devon.
      "Whilst it doesn't appear to meet the threshold to be considered a crime, these have been passed on to our Diverse Communities Team to look into."
      But Matt Horwood, senior communications officer for national LGBT charity Stonewall called the leaflet "damaging vitriol". 
      "It perpetuates the myth that you cannot be of faith while also being part of, or supporting, the lesbian, gay, bi and trans community," he said.
      "Stonewall will continue its work with faith communities to ensure that all LGBT people are accepted without exception in their place of worship and within their own faith communities."

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/police-say-this-8216-anti-gay-8217-leaflet-isn-8217-t-a-crime-8211-what-do-you-think/story-29679291-detail/story.html
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Pope Francis says gays — and all the other people the church has marginalized, such as the poor and the exploited — deserve an apology.
      Francis was asked Sunday en route home from Armenia if he agreed with one of his top advisers, German Cardinal Reinhard Marx, who told a conference in Dublin in the days after the deadly Orlando gay club attack that the church owes an apology to gays for having marginalized them.
      Francis responded with a variation of his famous "Who am I to judge?" comment and a repetition of church teaching that gays must not be discriminated against but treated with respect.
      He said some politicized behaviors of the homosexual community can be condemned for being "a bit offensive for others." But he said: "Someone who has this condition, who has good will and is searching for God, who are we to judge?"
      "We must accompany them," Francis said.
      "I think the church must not only apologize ... to a gay person it offended, but we must apologize to the poor, to women who have been exploited, to children forced into labor, apologize for having blessed so many weapons" and for having failed to accompany families who faced divorces or experienced other problems.
      Francis uttered his "Who am I to judge?" comment during his first airborne press conference in 2013, signaling a new era of acceptance and welcome for gays in the church. Francis followed up by meeting with gay and transgender faithful, and most significantly, by responding to claims that he met with anti-gay marriage campaigner Kim Davis during his U.S. visit. He said the only personal meeting he held in Washington was with his gay former student and his partner.
      Despite such overtures, however, many gay Catholics are still waiting for progress after a two-year consultation of the church on family issues failed to chart concrete, new pastoral avenues for them.
      The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, told reporters after Francis' press conference that the pope wasn't referring to a medical "condition" when he spoke of gays, but rather a lifestyle situation.
      ———
      This story has been corrected to show that the cardinal's name is Reinhard Marx, not Karl.
      Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/pope-gays-marginalized-deserve-apology-40146749
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      A gay rights activist celebrates outside of the iconic Stonewall Inn on the day the Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples have the right to marry in all 50 states. (Yana Paskova/Getty Images)

President Obama is poised to declare the first-ever national monument recognizing the struggle for gay rights, singling out a sliver of green space and part of the surrounding Greenwich Village neighborhood as the birthplace of America’s modern gay liberation movement.
      While most national monuments have highlighted iconic wild landscapes or historic sites from centuries ago, this reflects the country’s diversity of terrain and peoples in a different vein: It would be the first national monument anchored by a dive bar and surrounded by a warren of narrow streets that long has been regarded the historic center of gay cultural life in New York City.
      Federal officials, including Interior Secretary Sally Jewell, National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis and Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), will hold a listening session on May 9 to solicit feedback on the proposal. Barring a last-minute complication — city officials are still investigating the history of the land title — Obama is prepared to designate the area part of the National Park Service as soon as next month, which commemorates gay pride.
      Protests at the site, which lasted for six days, began in the early morning of June 28, 1969 after police raided the Stonewall Inn, which was frequented by gay men. While patrons of the bar, which is still in operation today in half of its original space, had complied in the past with these crackdowns, that time it sparked a spontaneous riot by bystanders and those who had been detained.
      Although national monument designations are partly symbolic, backers of the move said it could bolster the fight against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, which led to the landmark 2015 Supreme Court ruling legalizing same-sex marriage.
      “We must ensure that we never forget the legacy of Stonewall, the history of discrimination against the LGBT community, or the impassioned individuals who have fought to overcome it,” Nadler, who has co-authored legislation that would make it a national park, said in a statement. “The LGBT civil rights movement launched at Stonewall is woven into American history, and it is time our National Park system reflected that reality.”
      The president described Stonewall as a critical event in the nation’s social progress during his second inaugural speech, reflecting the idea “that all of us are created equal,” and alluded to it again when celebrating the 50th anniversary of the march on Selma, Ala.
      Interior Department spokeswoman Amanda Degroff said Obama “has made clear that he’s committed to ensuring our national parks, monuments and public lands help Americans better understand the places and stories that make this nation great” — though at the moment the administration has no official announcement on the designation.
      Noting that Jewell and Jarvis are attending next week’s public meeting at the invitation of Nadler and federal, state and local officials, Degroff added, “Insights from meetings like this one play an important role in identifying the best means to protect and manage significant sites like Christopher Park, whether a designation is established by Congress or through executive authority.”
      Nadler and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) have asked the president to protect the site under the 1906 Antiquities Act. In a sign of how much has changed since 1969, the three officials who represent the area — City Council member Corey Johnson, state assembly member Deborah Glick and state senator Brad Hoylman — are all openly gay and endorse the idea of making it a monument, as does the local community advisory board.
      The decision to recognize a critical moment in the fight for gay rights, at a time when politicians in several states are moving to strip away legal protections for transgender, gay, lesbian and bisexual residents, enjoys considerable support within the administration. But the path to declaring the monument has been a complicated one, largely because the site involves private property and a dense urban area where land-use planning is never simple.
      But late last month, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) signed legislation, backed by New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) and several state lawmakers, that would allow the city to transfer ownership of Christopher Park to the federal government should it become designated as a monument. That patch of green, spanning less than two-tenths of an acre, lies opposite the Stonewall Inn.
      n the same way Chicago’s Pullman National Monument — which Obama declared last year to highlight the struggle for labor and civil rights a century ago — encompasses a federally owned former railroad-car factory and part of the surrounding neighborhood, the proposed monument would include several streets that served as a battlefield between activists and law enforcement.
      “History’s messy,” said David Stacy, government affairs director of the Human Rights Campaign, whose group has pushed for the designation along with others such as the National Parks Conservation Association and Gill Foundation. “This raised the consciousness of people throughout the country. It said to people, you don’t have to be quiet. You don’t have to stay in the closet.”
      Gill Foundation president and chief executive Courtney Cuff, whose group helped fund a two-year study to identify what LGBT sites might qualify for National Park Service recognition, said a monument designation would mean “interpreters will be talking to visitors about the LGBT community and the contributions of the LGBT movement writ large.”
      Hoylman, who lives in the neighborhood with his husband and 5-year-old daughter Silvia, said he has taken her there and “tried to explain to her how important it is to her daddy and her papa.”
      “The president has mentioned Stonewall along with Selma and Seneca Falls in his second inaugural. So it’s fitting that he would be the president to bring this forward,” he said. “It’s breathtaking how far we’ve come, in so short a time.”
      Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-poised-to-create-first-monument-to-gay-rights/2016/05/03/0811810e-1154-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html

A plaque noting the site of the 1969 Stonewall Riots is affixed to the front of The Stonewall Inn, in New York's Greenwich Village, on May 29, 2014. (Richard Drew/AP)
    • By The Librarian
      One Man, One Woman 

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    AliciaBarbosa
    Newest Member
    AliciaBarbosa

• Topics

• Wouldn't a core doctrine be one in which we put "unwavering" faith. This is the whole reason I mention "core" or "key" doctrines. If we were to be killed unless we publicly renounced our faith in Jehovah God as the Creator, and Jesus Christ as the one through whom the Ransom comes, we should be willing to die for that doctrine. I would not be willing to die over my certainty that Jesus was only using hyperbole when he said that the men of Sodom would do better in a resurrection of the unrighteous on Judgment Day, than persons in towns that rejected Jesus during his earthly ministry. (Only the most diabolical of inquisitors would ask such a question anyway. I think I would go for "theocratic war strategy. 😉 )
    • I like that. It's an excellent explanation of one of the points made in the day's text and commentary. Perhaps. And so were all the 1 year old babies destroyed in the Flood. And so were the 185,000 of Senacherib's troops. I used that one because it's one for which most of us would be the least surprised if we discovered that the WT changed the teaching again.  Not sure what you mean. I already believe that the primary core doctrine is God's value through his Son's ransom sacrifice. Other doctrines are also just as necessary, though.  There actually is a contradiction between the Bible and AD 1914. And we don't need any independent understanding not supported by Scripture, such as the independent understanding of John Aquila Brown, or more specifically, that of Nelson H Barbour, neither of which were supported by Scripture. It should ALWAYS be the exploit of any faithful Witness to uncover truth and try to resolve any contradictions that can be resolved by Scripture itself, not anything independent of Scriptural support.  On the matter of the 1914 doctrine, an easier explanation with human controversy --but no scriptural controversy-- has already been posted. Easier isn't proof that it's better, but it's definitely easier. Here it is: Jesus came to earth to preach about a God's Kingdom through Christ and give himself over to death as a perfect ransom for sin, to fulfill the Law, and SIT AT GOD'S RIGHT HAND and therefore RULES AS KING since the time of his resurrection in 33 CE. That's it. Simple. No contradictions with any Scripture. From that point on, in 33 CE he SITS AT GOD'S RIGHT HAND and therefore RULES AS KING ruling in the midst of enemies, including war, famine, sickness, and will continue ruling as king until God has put all enemies under his feet, including the last enemy: death.  The current belief in 1914 creates a contradiction with this very point, because we are currently forced to ignore 1 Cor 15:25, which indicates that "sitting at God's right hand" is the same as "ruling as King." Right now, our current teaching is that Jesus sat at God's right hand in 33, and THEN LATER began ruling as king in 1914. Paul says that Jesus began ruling as king WHEN he sat at God's right hand. I'm swapping them because they mean exactly the same thing to me. No difference. Doctrine means teaching. True but notice the words that Paul used instead of "sit at my right hand" here: (1 Corinthians 15:25) 25 For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet. Turns out that when a king sits on a throne, this is actually an expression meaning rule as king. Just like when we say that a man "sat on the throne" starting in AD 1066, for example. Turns out that a king does not have to stand up from a throne to begin ruling as king. Turns out that sitting on a throne is not a synonym for just waiting around. By that logic, Jesus is not even NOW ruling as king, because God has not yet put the last enemy Death beneath his feet. (1 Corinthians 15:25,26) 25 For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet. 26 And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing.
    • If only you would stop quoting outside sources, and just be more basic with your comments, then i may understand them . Yes I understand 'if your throw out all the good, only the bad is left.  But the reverse is, if you only see the good, you are not being honest with yourself or others.  @Arauna is a case in point.  
    • @JW Insider Quote " The day's text is about the resurrection, and the commentary speaks of the importance of including this among our key doctrines, as if it might not have been "up there" with the rest. " That seems rather strange to me. But then they are getting short of things to say.  However, i would have thought every Christian, no matter what ever 'sect' or  pigeon hole you put them in, would definitely believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and put it up near the top of important beliefs.  However making Bible Facts, doctrines, seems unfair to God and to the Bible itself.  doctrine a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group.   It's as if the JW Org tries to 'own' such things. @TrueTomHarley quite often goes on about the things that the JW Org teaches. As if those things 'belonged to the JW Org'.  Whereas a lot of the same beliefs are held by thousands of people, and they not all being of the same organisation.     Quote " The Teaching about Christ's Kingdom -  Of course that final one might be a nod to "1914" as a key teaching, but it is worded here in such a way that no one could dismiss Christ's Kingdom as a key teaching. "   Now here we see a difference between Bible truth and JW doctrine.    Christ's Kingdom is Bible truth.   1914 is JW Org doctrine.   (This would bring us back to. Would a person be d/fed or 'watched' if they did not believe the 1914 doctrine?)    Matthew 22 v 44    ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies beneath your feet”’? So if Jesus was to sit at Gods right hand, until God had put Jesus' enemies beneath Jesus' feet.  Then Jesus could not have had the power to do it himself. Therefore surely Jesus was not ruling as King immediately ?    As for 1914, we know that no one of the Bible Students or JW leaders, were or are inspired of Holy Spirit. So maybe 1914 is just another guess or misuse of scriptures.    What is your view of the difference between 'Core doctrines' and Key teachings ?    And you seem to keep swapping expressions from Core doctrines, to Core teachings, to Key teachings.  Can you explain the difference please ?    
    • I confess that I am falling well short of the 100 times a day that I ought. I ask your forgiveness. Human limitations is the only excuse I have to offer. If you negate the upside, then all there is left to look at is the downside, and that is the case with many here.  I keep coming back to a line from The Scarlet Letter: “It is remarkable, that persons who speculate the most boldly often conform with the most perfect quietude to the external regulations of society.” Nobody speculates more boldly, departing from the herd-like thinking of this world, than Jehovah’s Witnesses. True to that Hawthorn line, they have no difficulty conforming to the “external regulations of their society.” Though Hawthorn does not say it, the reverse is also true. Those who cannot “conform to the external regulations of that society” and so leave it, perhaps guys like Shiwiiiii, are the most non-bold thinkers of all. They are individualistic in superfluous ways, but conformist in all the ways that matter.
    • Perhaps you are reading something into the book of Jude that I haven't been able to see. To me, the reason for the letter was this: Jude 4 I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. This was similar to the problem in Corinth, where certain brothers were PROUD that they could put up with a notorious case of incest, due to a misunderstanding and misuse of "undeserved kindness." (1 Corinthians 5:1, 2) . . .Actually sexual immorality is reported among you, and such immorality as is not even found among the nations—of a man living with his father’s wife. 2 And are you proud of it? Should you not rather mourn, so that the man who committed this deed should be taken away from your midst? Such persons who used the idea of forgiveness, mercy, and undeserved kindness (grace), as an excuse for loose/brazen conduct were not blowing the whistle on wrongdoing, but were PROMOTING wrongdoing. It was the same as dismissing and speaking abusively against things that Jesus himself had said to "prove false to our only owner and Lord, Jesus Christ." Michael wouldn't even speak abusively of the Devil and yet these people are going to go further than that and think it's OK to speak abusively of Jesus and the angels? It's also possible that the leaders (elders) are considered the "glorious ones" but this makes less sense to me. Perhaps a topic for further discussion?
  • Popular Now