Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

JW Insider -
Anna -

Top Posters

On 9/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I toss it up in the air, and all that God needs, he takes.  What falls back to the parking lot, I use for MY local needs.

Your plan might work a bit differently during a category 3+ hurricane. I think you are counting on the fact that Jehovah gets the indication of his presence across to us calmly without needing to blast us with signs:

(1 Kings 19:11, 12) 11 But He said: “Go out and stand on the mountain before Jehovah.” And look! Jehovah was passing by, and a great and strong wind was splitting mountains and breaking crags before Jehovah, but Jehovah was not in the wind. After the wind, there was an earthquake, but Jehovah was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake, there was a fire, but Jehovah was not in the fire. After the fire, there was a calm, low voice.

Sorry, lost my sense of humor there for a minute.

5 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Jesus response was very clear, that it would not be by things they could observe, not by physical signs.

(Luke 17:20, NLT) One day the Pharisees asked Jesus, “When will the Kingdom of God come?” Jesus replied, “The Kingdom of God can’t be detected by visible signs. "

Very new aspect for me too. By this i would say how WT Society and JW org application about Matt 24 and many events or "signs" that people can see in very visible and factual way have another meaning. Because, Announcing how The year 1914 and The Kingdom as Heavenly Invisible Fact with Physical and Earthly "evidences" visible to eyes, that making entering in some Special period for human, is Preaching Error.   

Perhaps Matt 24 is possible to use for 1914, as for many other periods in Human History. But Establishing of Kingdom (in 1914??) is not possible to support by "signs", because of reasoning Jesus has told, as you very well pointed out. 

On 9/20/2019 at 10:20 PM, JW Insider said:

So even if chronology and some of the specific prophetic interpretations can result in unresolved questions, for now, it's not like this needs to be such a big part of Witness thinking. We can participate in every major aspect of our worship with joy and without being overly concerned with these unresolved questions. And when they finally are resolved, I'm sure we'll see them as relatively unimportant compared to the big things.

If a specific prophetic interpretation is what people are encouraged to put all hope and dreams in (such as 1975). just to find out that they were misled into believing its possibility as true, no longer will many enjoy their “worship” in all other aspects the organization offers.  That particular scenario remains “important” to a large number of people because of the scar it leaves on their lives.  Scars usually always remain as a memory of an event. The bigger the scar, the bigger the memory.  When a person makes an investment into a company that utilizes slick, appealing - even truthful - advertising, and which promises positive returns but eventually is exposed as a fraud, only a foolish person would keep investing his resources into it.

“Bad investment advice is usually due to one of two reasons. The first is centered around an advisor that will repeatedly place their self-interest before that of the client. The second reason leading to bad advice is an advisor's lack of knowledge and failure to perform due diligence before making recommendations and taking action. Each type of bad advice has its own consequences for the client in the short term, but in the long term they will all result in poor performance or loss of money.”  (Investopedia)

This is what the Lord of Hosts says: “Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you. They are making you worthless. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the Lord’s mouth. Jer 23:16

It is said, “talk is cheap”; which is actually a partial quote.  From, The Saint’s Knowledge of Christ’s Love, or The Unsearchable Riches of Christ published in 1692:

“I know words are cheap, but a dram of grace is worth all the world.”   

"I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you today that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Choose life so that you and your descendants may live,  love the Lord your God, obey Him, and remain faithful to Him. " Deut 30:19,20

It's crystal clear in God's word, that we are not to remain faithful to men who stumble in their predictions, but intermittently gloss it over with appealing information like a dangling carrot.   

Known. Showing spiritual weakness only emboldens those that Satan has corrupted to think they hold the truth in any subject.

It’s not just about being false prophets but being martyrs to do the devils bidding.

When the opposition makes misleading claims that Brother Russell claimed the world would end in 1914, those in opposition have not read the Pastors publishing’s. When the opposition claims Brother Rutherford claimed the world would end in 1925, those in opposition have not read the publishing of the Brother? When those in opposition claim the Org prophesied the world would end in 1975, those in opposition only read what they want to read to make a misleading debate?

When those in opposition conduct themselves in such a way, it can only be seen one way, martyrs for the devil.

The post is framed as a question.

"What good is an internet forum for JWs?" To regular witnesses not trying to be influenced by bad works and debates, known.

3 hours ago, divergenceKO said:

The post is framed as a question.  "What good is an internet forum for JWs?" To regular witnesses not trying to be influenced by bad works and debates, known.

I’ve said it before but not lately. The forum is good for me because with it I can hone my writing. 

If I post a Jumping Jehovah’s Witnesses photo on the JW only forum, someone will give me thunderous applause. If I truthfully say that I think such photos are stupid, someone else will counsel me to turn my frown upside down.

For the most part, I like the atmosphere of unity on what is most important, but there are times when it will not do. Better, from a writing point of view, to be here.

Here I can reference some JW foibles, even missteps, and not suffer rebuke. More importantly, here I can write something favorable about them and know that there are villains that will promptly hurl it back in my teeth. I analyze the response, like a Hadron collider scientist. Sometimes the results tell me that my comment was a logical train wreck. Even friends here will tell me so. When my remark brings mostly taunts, insults, and ridicule, then I know that I have hit bullseye.

A writer needs a muse but he needs more than a muse. He also needs a villain, so I hang here where there are villains galore.

20 hours ago, divergenceKO said:

Showing spiritual weakness only emboldens those that Satan has corrupted to think they hold the truth in any subject.

It certainly can. You are right about that.

But it also shows spiritual weakness when we forget to question ourselves and our teaching. So having a place to formulate questions helps us clarify those questions for ourselves, even when no one comes around to provide a scriptural response to those questions. And when someone does come around to provide a scriptural response, we can be happy that we are being corrected, or if it helps us confirm an answer to our questions.

But if it's true that Satan has corrupted persons to think they hold the truth in any subject, then this is the same as accusing the Watchtower organization and its writers of being emboldened by Satan when they present their views as holding the truth in all subjects they speak about. I personally don't believe that the Watchtower writers are being emboldened by Satan. I think it's more of a matter of being excited to believe they have found all the important answers, and they therefore speak as if it must be right, as if they are speaking sacred pronouncement of God. To a point, if we are not going beyond the things written, this is a good thing:

(1 Peter 4:10, 11) . . .To the extent that each one has received a gift, use it in ministering to one another as fine stewards of God’s undeserved kindness that is expressed in various ways. 11 If anyone speaks, let him do so as speaking pronouncements from God;. . .

But there is a danger of being so sure of ourselves, that we forget to question. We forget to ask for questions. We forget to WANT questions. The JW.ORG site does not ask for questions; there is no comments section. We all know that if the teachers are actually humble like little children, they will ask questions, and so will the rest of us.

When the opposition makes misleading claims that Brother Russell claimed the world would end in 1914,

True. But how often do we also see those in opposition to truth, who know that Brother Russell predicted that other things would happen in 1914 that didn't happen? And then, as a distraction, because they are in opposition to admitting the truth, they point out that some people thought Russell predicted that the world would end in 1914.

When the opposition claims Brother Rutherford claimed the world would end in 1925, those in opposition have not read the publishing of the Brother?

True. But how often do we also see those in opposition to truth, who know that Brother Rutherford predicted that other things would happen in 1925, that didn't happen? And then, as a distraction, because they are in opposition to admitting the truth, they point out that some people thought Rutherford predicted that the world would end in 1925.

When those in opposition claim the Org prophesied the world would end in 1975, those in opposition only read what they want to read to make a misleading debate?

This can happen. We've seen it happen. But those in opposition to admitting the truth about what was actually predicted for as early as the mid-70's and as late as the end of the twentieth century, are often very anxious to create a distraction by pointing out that some people claim a specific thing was claimed for only 1975.

When a person is really making a specific false claim, then it's good to point it out. But if they are not making that claim then pointing out a different mistake that someone else is making can be a very misleading distraction.

5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

JW only forum, someone will give me thunderous applause. If I truthfully say that I think such photos are stupid, someone else will counsel me to turn my frown upside down.

5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

so I hang here where there are villains galore.

Then there's the happy medium with no villains but friends who are realistic. These are to be found on the JW closed club here. You should try it sometime xD. (I know you've been there, but not nearly often enough)

25 minutes ago, Anna said:

Then there's the happy medium with no villains but friends ... you've been there, but not nearly often enough)

This is because I was traumatized when I spotted someone violently attacking a fortune-teller, hitting her repeatedly and hard, and all she did was laugh and laugh.

I intervened. “What do you think you’re doing?” I demanded of the assailant.

”Just trying to strike a happy medium,” he replied.

Still sure you want me on the other forum?

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

This is because I was traumatized when I spotted someone violently attacking a fortune-teller, hitting her repeatedly and hard, and all she did was laugh and laugh.

I intervened. “What do you think you’re doing?” I demanded of the assailant.

”Just trying to strike a happy medium,” he replied.

Still sure you want me on the other forum?

I think I must know you quite well by now because as I typed "medium", the thought immediately crossed my mind that you might jump at the opportunity to somehow take the Mickey.....

No, stop, leave Mickey alone

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Marek Markus
    Newest Member
    Marek Markus

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.