January, 1989

The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century." (w89 1/1 12 "The Hand of Jehovah Was With Them" [as originally published in the Watchtower magazine]).

Rewritten

"The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our day." (w89 1/1 12 "The Hand of Jehovah Was With Them" [as it appears in Watchtower bound volumes & CD-ROMs])

[bold added]

11 minutes ago, Gone Fishing said:

Thankfully someone is correcting these mistakes.

Even better to have them brought to our attention. It's like having a personal secreary!

You are thankful for the covering up of falsehoods ? If the"spirit directed organisation" gets it wrong one has to ask, where was the spirit?

59 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

If @JW Insider didn't have to keep messing with 607 BCE, they probably wouldn't have to rewrite anything!

I also noted at the annual meeting that no one seems inclined to shake the foundations, as one of them said: 'if people can't see conditions today and realize how deep we are into the time of the end, well....' or something like that.

13 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

'if people can't see conditions today and realize how deep we are into the time of the end, well....' or something like that.

...then they must must have spent the last ten years in a coma... [or something to that effect]

Of course, this could have slightly more effect if we hadn't been saying almost exactly the same thing for the last 138 years and counting.

1 hour ago, Melinda Mills said:

If you don't want the corrections, when the updates come in to the computer, you can tell it No.  And keep your bound volumes.

Melinda:

You really, REALLY need to seriously read George Orwell's book "1984" to understand what this conversation is REALLY about.

29 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Melinda:

You really, REALLY need to seriously read George Orwell's book "1984" to understand what this conversation is REALLY about.

Oh, for crying out loud, you do not!

1984 is about a world of 3 totalitarian states, each marionettes pulled by sinister people at the top, who permit no deviation from dictated 'realities', and who physically torture anyone who strays, (in some graphic detail) and then kills them even after they readjust.

Only the most paranoid nutcase would apply it to anything having to do with the Christian congregation.

3 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I also noted at the annual meeting that no one seems inclined to shake the foundations, as one of them said: 'if people can't see conditions today and realize how deep we are into the time of the end, well....' or something like that.

"...they must be in a coma. But that is O.K. because Jehovah can wake them up from a coma."

5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

If @JW Insider didn't have to keep messing with 607 BCE, they probably wouldn't have to rewrite anything!

Dang.  And I still can't even figure out what's wrong with 607.

"Chronology" [Insight book]:

From 997 B.C.E. to desolation of Jerusalem. 

A helpful guide to the overall length of this period of the kings is found at Ezekiel 4:1-7 in the mimic siege of Jerusalem that the prophet Ezekiel carried out at God’s direction. 
Ezekiel was to lie on his left side for 390 days to "carry the error of the house of Israel," and on his right side for 40 days to "carry the error of the house of Judah," and each day was shown to stand for a year. 

The two periods (of 390 years and of 40 years) thus symbolized evidently stood for the length of Jehovah's forbearance with the two kingdoms in their idolatrous course.

The Jewish understanding of this prophecy, as presented in the Soncino Books of the Bible (commentary on Ezekiel, pp. 20, 21) is:"The guilt of the Northern Kingdom extended over a period of 390 years ([according to the] Seder Olam [the earliest postexilic chronicle preserved in the Hebrew language,and Rabbis Rashi and Ibn Ezra). 

Abarbanel, quoted by Malbim, reckons the period of Samaria's guilt from the time when the schism took place under Rehoboam ... until the fall of Jerusalem.... 

From the division of the kingdom in 997 B.C.E. to the fall of Jerusalem in 607 B.C.E. was 390 years.

"The right [side, on which Ezekiel lay] indicates the south, i.e. the Kingdom of Judah which lay to the south or right.... Judah's corruption lasted forty years beginning soon after Samaria's fall. 

According to Malbim, the time is reckoned from the thirteenth year of the reign of Josiah ... when Jeremiah began his ministry.(Jer. i. 2)."---Edited by A. Cohen, London, 1950. "

END- of "CHRONOLOGY" EXCERPT FROM "INSIGHT" BOOK.  THE REST [until  the  last few lines, which are a quote from a non-WT source about "Cyrus' decree" in 538 BCE ]  ARE SCRIPTURES AND MY COMMENTS.:

=============================================================================================================
JER 1:1 These are the words of Jeremiah the son of Hilkiah, one of the priests in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin. 

2 The word of Jehovah came to him in the days of Josiah the son of Amon, the king of Judah, in the 13th year of his reign. 

3 It came also in the days of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, the king of Judah, until the completion of the 11th year of Zedekiah the son of Josiah, the king of Judah, until Jerusalem went into exile in the fifth month.

==========
2 Kings 22:1, 2
22 Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned for 31 years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jedidah the daughter of Adaiah from Bozkath.
2 He did what was right in Jehovah's eyes and walked in all the ways of David his forefather, and he did not deviate to the right or to the left.
==========

JOSIAH REIGNED 31 YEARS, 
JER. 1:2 WAS THE 13TH YEAR OF JOSIAH - AND WAS the BEGINNING OF THE 40 YEARS BEFORE JUDAH WAS DESOLATED.
JOSIAH HAD ANOTHER 18 YEARS TO REIGN AT THAT POINT.
==========
2 Chronicles 36

36 Then the people of the land took Jehoahaz the son of Josiah and made him king in the place of his father in Jerusalem. 

2 Twenty-three years old was Jehoahaz when he began to reign, and for three months he reigned in Jerusalem.-THREE MONTHS

3 However, the king of Egypt removed him in Jerusalem and fined the land a hundred silver talents and a gold talent.

4 Furthermore, the king of Egypt made Eliakim his brother king over Judah and Jerusalem and changed his name to Jehoiakim; but his brother Jehoahaz, Necho took and brought to Egypt.

CONTINUING-

5 Twenty-five years old was Jehoiakim when he began to reign, and for eleven years he reigned in Jerusalem; and he continued to do what was bad in the eyes of Jehovah his God.- ELEVEN YEARS

6 Against him Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon came up that he might bind him with two fetters of copper to carry him off to Babylon. 

7 And some of the utensils of the house of Jehovah Nebuchadnezzar brought to Babylon and then put them in his palace in Babylon. 

8 As for the rest of the affairs of Jehoiakim and his detestable things that he did and what was to be found against him, there they are written in the Book of the Kings of Israel and Judah; and Jehoiachin his son began to reign in place of him.

9 Eighteen years old was Jehoiachin when he began to reign, and for three months and ten days he reigned in Jerusalem; and he continued to do what was bad in Jehovah's eyes.-THREE MONTHS

10 And at the return of the year King Nebuchadnezzar sent and proceeded to bring him to Babylon with desirable articles of the house of Jehovah. Further, he made Zedekiah his [father's] brother king over Judah and Jerusalem.

11 Twenty-one years old was Zedekiah when he began to reign, and for eleven years he reigned in Jerusalem.- ELEVEN YEARS

ADDING UP ALL THE YEARS OF THE KINGS OF JUDAH, STARTING IN THE 13TH YEAR OF JOSIAH, WHEN JEREMIAH BEGAN PROPHESYING, TOTALS 40 YEARS.

40 YEARS = 18 YEARS + 3 MONTHS + 11 YEARS + 3 MONTHS + 11 YEARS= 40 YEARS

10 And at the return of the year King Nebuchadnezzar sent and proceeded to bring him to Babylon with desirable articles of the house of Jehovah. Further, he made Zedekiah his [father's] brother king over Judah and Jerusalem.

11 Twenty-one years old was Zedekiah when he began to reign, and for eleven years he reigned in Jerusalem.- ELEVEN YEARS

ADDING UP ALL THE YEARS OF THE KINGS OF JUDAH, STARTING IN THE 13TH YEAR OF JOSIAH, WHEN JEREMIAH BEGAN PROPHESYING, TOTALS 40 YEARS.

40 YEARS = 18 YEARS + 3 MONTHS + 11 YEARS + 3 MONTHS + 11 YEARS
==========
12 And he continued to do what was bad in the eyes of Jehovah his God. He did not humble himself on account of Jeremiah the prophet at the order of Jehovah. 

13 And even against King Nebuchadnezzar he rebelled, who had made him swear by God; and he kept stiffening his neck and hardening his heart so as not to return to Jehovah the God of Israel. 

14 Even all the chiefs of the priests and the people themselves committed unfaithfulness on a large scale, according to all the detestable things of the nations, so that they defiled the house of Jehovah which he had sanctified in Jerusalem.

15 And Jehovah the God of their forefathers kept sending against them by means of his messengers, sending again and again, because he felt compassion for his people and for his dwelling. 

16 But they were continually making jest at the messengers of the [true] God and despising his words and mocking at his prophets, until the rage of Jehovah came up against his people, until there was no healing.

17 So he brought up against them the king of the Chaldeans, who proceeded to kill their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, neither did he feel compassion for young man or virgin, old or decrepit. Everything He gave into his hand. 

18 And all the utensils, great and small, of the house of the [true] God and the treasures of the house of Jehovah and the treasures of the king and of his princes, everything he brought to Babylon. 

19 And he proceeded to burn the house of the [true] God and pull down the wall of Jerusalem; and all its dwelling towers they burned with fire and also all its desirable articles, so as to cause ruin. 

20 Furthermore, he carried off those remaining from the sword captive to Babylon, and they came to be servants to him and his sons until the royalty of Persia began to reign;

21 to fulfill Jehovah's word by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had paid off its sabbaths. All the days of lying desolated it kept sabbath, to fulfill seventy years.

22 And in the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia, that Jehovah's word by the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, Jehovah roused the spirit of Cyrus the king of Persia, so that he caused a cry to pass through all his kingdom, and also in writing, saying: 

23 "This is what Cyrus the king of Persia has said,'All the kingdoms of the earth Jehovah the God of the heavens has given me, and he himself has commissioned me to build him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever there is among YOU of all his people, Jehovah his God be with him. So let him go up.'"
==========

Cyrus is mentioned some twenty-three times in the literature of the Old Testament. 
God would lead this monarch to "subdue nations" and "open doors" (an allusion to the Jews' release from Babylonian captivity). 

The fulfillment of these plain and specific predictions is set forth in 2 Chronicles 36:22, 23 and Ezra 1:1-4, 7, 8; 3:7; 4:3. 

The Encyclopedia Britannica, an unlikely source, acknowledges that-

*"in 538 [B.C.] Cyrus granted to the Jews, whom Nebuchadressar had transported to Babylonia, the return to Palestine and the rebuilding of Jerusalem and its temple”(1958, 940).*

Hello guest!

==========
BACK ON THEIR LAND 537. AFTER LAND DESOLATED 70 YEARS EARLIER, 607.

48 minutes ago, tromboneck said:

Well, that is (more than) enough for me. I an agape and aghast! How darest them!!!!!

Oh. -Unless you were saying that about 'the *nerve* of the G.B.' re"coma".  In which case I would reply not at all or reply more like this-

Hello guest!

*IF I AGREED WITH YOU , THAT IS, WHICH I WOULDN'T HAVE, IN THAT CASE.

UNLESS YOU WERE BEING SARCASTIC , IN WHICH CASE, I WOULD HAVE AGREED WITH YOU, BUT SILENTLY.

SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION.

5 hours ago, Nana Fofana said:

Oh. -Unless you were saying that about 'the *nerve* of the G.B.' re"coma".  In which case I would reply not at all or reply more like this-

Hello guest!

*IF I AGREED WITH YOU , THAT IS, WHICH I WOULDN'T HAVE, IN THAT CASE.

UNLESS YOU WERE BEING SARCASTIC , IN WHICH CASE, I WOULD HAVE AGREED WITH YOU, BUT SILENTLY.

SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION.

I'm sorry, but I am cornfused!

7 hours ago, Nana Fofana said:

Dang.  And I still can't even figure out what's wrong with 607.

"Chronology" [Insight book]:

From 997 B.C.E. to desolation of Jerusalem. 

A helpful guide to the overall length of this period of the kings is found at Ezekiel 4:1-7 in the mimic siege of Jerusalem that the prophet Ezekiel carried out at God’s direction. 
Ezekiel was to lie on his left side for 390 days to "carry the error of the house of Israel," and on his right side for 40 days to "carry the error of the house of Judah," and each day was shown to stand for a year. 

The two periods (of 390 years and of 40 years) thus symbolized evidently stood for the length of Jehovah's forbearance with the two kingdoms in their idolatrous course.

The Jewish understanding of this prophecy, as presented in the Soncino Books of the Bible (commentary on Ezekiel, pp. 20, 21) is:"The guilt of the Northern Kingdom extended over a period of 390 years ([according to the] Seder Olam [the earliest postexilic chronicle preserved in the Hebrew language,and Rabbis Rashi and Ibn Ezra). 

Abarbanel, quoted by Malbim, reckons the period of Samaria's guilt from the time when the schism took place under Rehoboam ... until the fall of Jerusalem.... 

From the division of the kingdom in 997 B.C.E. to the fall of Jerusalem in 607 B.C.E. was 390 years.

"The right [side, on which Ezekiel lay] indicates the south, i.e. the Kingdom of Judah which lay to the south or right.... Judah's corruption lasted forty years beginning soon after Samaria's fall. 

According to Malbim, the time is reckoned from the thirteenth year of the reign of Josiah ... when Jeremiah began his ministry.(Jer. i. 2)."---Edited by A. Cohen, London, 1950. "

END- of "CHRONOLOGY" EXCERPT FROM "INSIGHT" BOOK.  THE REST [until  the  last few lines, which are a quote from a non-WT source about "Cyrus' decree" in 538 BCE ]  ARE SCRIPTURES AND MY COMMENTS.:

=============================================================================================================
JER 1:1 These are the words of Jeremiah the son of Hilkiah, one of the priests in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin. 

2 The word of Jehovah came to him in the days of Josiah the son of Amon, the king of Judah, in the 13th year of his reign. 

3 It came also in the days of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, the king of Judah, until the completion of the 11th year of Zedekiah the son of Josiah, the king of Judah, until Jerusalem went into exile in the fifth month.

==========
2 Kings 22:1, 2
22 Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned for 31 years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jedidah the daughter of Adaiah from Bozkath.
2 He did what was right in Jehovah's eyes and walked in all the ways of David his forefather, and he did not deviate to the right or to the left.
==========

JOSIAH REIGNED 31 YEARS, 
JER. 1:2 WAS THE 13TH YEAR OF JOSIAH - AND WAS the BEGINNING OF THE 40 YEARS BEFORE JUDAH WAS DESOLATED.
JOSIAH HAD ANOTHER 18 YEARS TO REIGN AT THAT POINT.
==========
2 Chronicles 36

36 Then the people of the land took Jehoahaz the son of Josiah and made him king in the place of his father in Jerusalem. 

2 Twenty-three years old was Jehoahaz when he began to reign, and for three months he reigned in Jerusalem.-THREE MONTHS

3 However, the king of Egypt removed him in Jerusalem and fined the land a hundred silver talents and a gold talent.

4 Furthermore, the king of Egypt made Eliakim his brother king over Judah and Jerusalem and changed his name to Jehoiakim; but his brother Jehoahaz, Necho took and brought to Egypt.

CONTINUING-

5 Twenty-five years old was Jehoiakim when he began to reign, and for eleven years he reigned in Jerusalem; and he continued to do what was bad in the eyes of Jehovah his God.- ELEVEN YEARS

6 Against him Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon came up that he might bind him with two fetters of copper to carry him off to Babylon. 

7 And some of the utensils of the house of Jehovah Nebuchadnezzar brought to Babylon and then put them in his palace in Babylon. 

8 As for the rest of the affairs of Jehoiakim and his detestable things that he did and what was to be found against him, there they are written in the Book of the Kings of Israel and Judah; and Jehoiachin his son began to reign in place of him.

9 Eighteen years old was Jehoiachin when he began to reign, and for three months and ten days he reigned in Jerusalem; and he continued to do what was bad in Jehovah's eyes.-THREE MONTHS

40 YEARS = 18 YEARS + 3 MONTHS + 11 YEARS + 3 MONTHS + 11 YEARS= 40 YEARS

40 YEARS = 18 YEARS + 3 MONTHS + 11 YEARS + 3 MONTHS + 11 YEARS
==========
12 And he continued to do what was bad in the eyes of Jehovah his God. He did not humble himself on account of Jeremiah the prophet at the order of Jehovah. 

13 And even against King Nebuchadnezzar he rebelled, who had made him swear by God; and he kept stiffening his neck and hardening his heart so as not to return to Jehovah the God of Israel. 

14 Even all the chiefs of the priests and the people themselves committed unfaithfulness on a large scale, according to all the detestable things of the nations, so that they defiled the house of Jehovah which he had sanctified in Jerusalem.

15 And Jehovah the God of their forefathers kept sending against them by means of his messengers, sending again and again, because he felt compassion for his people and for his dwelling. 

16 But they were continually making jest at the messengers of the [true] God and despising his words and mocking at his prophets, until the rage of Jehovah came up against his people, until there was no healing.

17 So he brought up against them the king of the Chaldeans, who proceeded to kill their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, neither did he feel compassion for young man or virgin, old or decrepit. Everything He gave into his hand. 

18 And all the utensils, great and small, of the house of the [true] God and the treasures of the house of Jehovah and the treasures of the king and of his princes, everything he brought to Babylon. 

19 And he proceeded to burn the house of the [true] God and pull down the wall of Jerusalem; and all its dwelling towers they burned with fire and also all its desirable articles, so as to cause ruin. 

20 Furthermore, he carried off those remaining from the sword captive to Babylon, and they came to be servants to him and his sons until the royalty of Persia began to reign;

21 to fulfill Jehovah's word by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had paid off its sabbaths. All the days of lying desolated it kept sabbath, to fulfill seventy years.

22 And in the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia, that Jehovah's word by the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, Jehovah roused the spirit of Cyrus the king of Persia, so that he caused a cry to pass through all his kingdom, and also in writing, saying: 

23 "This is what Cyrus the king of Persia has said,'All the kingdoms of the earth Jehovah the God of the heavens has given me, and he himself has commissioned me to build him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever there is among YOU of all his people, Jehovah his God be with him. So let him go up.'"
==========

Cyrus is mentioned some twenty-three times in the literature of the Old Testament. 
God would lead this monarch to "subdue nations" and "open doors" (an allusion to the Jews' release from Babylonian captivity). 

The fulfillment of these plain and specific predictions is set forth in 2 Chronicles 36:22, 23 and Ezra 1:1-4, 7, 8; 3:7; 4:3. 

The Encyclopedia Britannica, an unlikely source, acknowledges that-

*"in 538 [B.C.] Cyrus granted to the Jews, whom Nebuchadressar had transported to Babylonia, the return to Palestine and the rebuilding of Jerusalem and its temple”(1958, 940).*

Hello guest!

==========
BACK ON THEIR LAND 537. AFTER LAND DESOLATED 70 YEARS EARLIER, 607.

36 minutes ago, tromboneck said:

I'm sorry, but I am cornfused!

Yes,  I've  already apologized in advance for "any confusion".

And, as you'll have  observed, me trying to explain further seems likely to  render matters  only worse - confusion- wise than they are now.

So  I will  spare you that.

In spite of the trouble I've already given you, I was wondering if you could just tell me whether my other post  that I quote here, appears above in this thread as a  separate post? 

(And I do, of course,  apologize profusely for the massive confusion that such an ungainly post will have no doubt  occasioned in the tender, ultra -refined and genteel minds  of weaders here!)

I confess MYSELF confused, actually, by endless conTROVersy  over  607/1914 . 

TTH:

Because you are COMPLETELY clueless as to the lessons that can be learned from the Classic Book "1984" by George Orwell ... as many AGENDA driven people are ... you are doomed to repeat the lessons of history you did not, and cannot discern.

594f6e0e4bdaf_Watchtower1930apostasyremark.jpg.869bf4dbcd88abc8484ce525e0ab321e.jpg

Discounted hell  600.jpg

1975FPARTICLE.thumb.jpeg.f7a7b5cfa80414be1236d01623c75d3e.jpeg

2epqd90.jpg

58abcb2f13a89_JonestownsSurvivorStory.jpg.c7c6cf33889b8fc50815bb6017bbe3ec.jpg

2 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

TTH:

Because you are COMPLETELY clueless as to the lessons that can be learned from the Classic Book "1984" by George Orwell ... as many AGENDA driven people are ... you are doomed to repeat the lessons of history you did not, and cannot discern.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:08 AM, TrueTomHarley said:

Oh for crying out loud...

1984 is about a world of 3 totalitarian states, each marionettes pulled by sinister people at the top, who permit no deviation from dictated 'realities', and who physically torture anyone who strays, (in some graphic detail) and then kills them even after they readjust.

Only the most paranoid nutcase would apply it to anything having to do with the Christian congregation.

TTH:

My guess is that you DID NOT read the book ... that you only saw the movie. 

If you DID read the book, you had no comprehension of what was really going on, or what it was REALLY about, as you have demonstrated about almost every post I have ever made, here.

In the Book, Winston Smith does NOT die.

If he had been killed, the State would NOT have triumphed.  The goal of the State was to reduce him to a totally obedient slave, where even in his innermost thoughts ... he loved BIG BROTHER. 

They were successful in this... THEY WON ... and he lost.

His personality had been SO DESTROYED that even suicide was not an option available to him.

He had been figuratively killed, as his capacity for independent thought  had been COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY erased.

THE BOOK "1984"  WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A WARNING ... NOT A SCRIPT.

Big Brother spent years monitoring Winston Smith, and spent a lot of time and effort to 're-educate him" so he would be an effective tool in rewriting history, as we are dong now by going back and CHANGING Watchtower statements of many years ago, in all electronic versions. 

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WINSTON SMITH'S JOB WAS WHEN HE WAS WORKING FOR HIS EQUIVALENT OF BETHEL DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY REVISIONISM ....... THE "MINISTRY OF TRUTH".

They could have shot him in 3/8 of a second ... but that would not have been the "loving thing to do".

He had to be publicly CRUSHED and his mind obliterated.

After all, his destruction as an individual  was accomplished by the "MINISTRY OF LOVE".

THE BOOK "1984"  WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A WARNING ... NOT A SCRIPT.

58ae6cb7417eb_!LoveBigBrother.jpg.a74a8ff8321c65faa9e2d935d9b4f9cf.jpg