The World News Media

Coffee 80 times stronger than espresso could keep you up for 18 hours

Guest Nicole

150813183501-06-coffee-health-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)How many cups of coffee does it take to get you going in the morning?

If the answer is many, the invention of a turbo-powered superbrew that is so strong it comes with a health warning might put your habit into perspective.

A cafe in Adelaide, Australia, is serving the "Asskicker," a concoction of four espresso shots, two different strengths of cold drip and milk that its inventor says contains 80 times the amount of caffeine of a standard shot.

The drink, designed to be sipped slowly over three to four hours, promises to keep coffee lovers buzzing for up to 18 hours.

While a normal espresso, as defined by the US Department of Agriculture, packs around 63 milligrams of caffeine, this drink has 5 grams, according to its creator. The US Food and Drug Administration and USDA note that 400 milligrams is the limit not generally associated with dangerous, negative effects.

160906223909-viscous-coffee-adelaide-asskicker-exlarge-169.jpg

Viscous Coffee, Adelaide

Turbo coffee

Steve Benington, owner of Viscous Coffee, developed the drink for a local emergency room nurse who needed something to keep her going during unexpected night shifts.

"We had to tone it down a bit because it kept her up for a total of three days," said Benington, adding that the nurse sipped it over two days.

The barista, who opened his cafe a year and a half ago after a career in the Australian Navy, said the turbo coffee has become very popular in recent weeks.

However, he actively discourages customers interested only in a gimmick, and advertises it with a warning for those with high blood pressure or heart conditions.

"I have a quite detailed talk with people before they actually purchase one. If I can talk someone out of it, they're not ready for the drink," said Benington.

Warning signs of coffee overdose include shakes and sweats, dilated pupils, stammering over your words, vertigo and nausea.

"If you keep going, those symptoms will get worse," said the coffee-loving business owner. "If you stay within the guidelines, you're fine."

The Asskicker experience will set you back around $12 ($16 AUD) for a 16 ounce cup.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/06/health/asskicker-coffee-80-times-strong-trnd/index.html

• 1 year later...

• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ESPRESSO  IS  ALOT  HEALTHIER  I  READ  -  bec.  the  especially  preparation... For  me  the  taste  is  pretty  strong  -  I  like  more  selfmade  drip  coffee,  sometim

Posted Images

ESPRESSO  IS  ALOT  HEALTHIER  I  READ  -  bec.  the  especially  preparation...

For  me  the  taste  is  pretty  strong  -  I  like  more  selfmade  drip  coffee,  sometimes  a  quick - coffee....

Never  too  strong  bec. heart - beating,  not  nice :(   BUT  I  LOVE  THE  FRESH  COFFEE  SMELL :x

• 6 months later...
Guest Nicole
On 31/3/2018 at 6:18 AM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

It's a LOT cheaper just to eat a bar of soap!

:D:D:D

It depends on the bar of soap, my babies' soap is expensive for their skin problems :D