The World News Media

Photo: Nigerian woman dies after refusing blood transfusion because she is a Jehovah's witness

Guest Nicole

• Views 1.4k
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Will the day come, or has it already arrived, when the number of lives saved through bloodless medicine will exceed those lost by fearless members of a relatively tiny religion who refused to compromi

I'm sure that a lot of newspapers will do this. "If it bleeds, it leads," etc.  And that's why news reports may not be as much of a problem for the Watchtower's Legal Department as are the number of c

With respect, this will always be "may have lived" and it will always be the underlying medical problem that caused their death. (Discounting sin of course). Getting this right in no way minimises the

Posted Images

Sad and misleading headline again! Surely there was a clear reason for the death of this lovely woman? What caused the "excess bleeding"?

Many casual readers of this type of report will draw the incorrect conclusion that it was the refusal of blood that caused her death. The additional association with her religious belief provides more emotive irrelevancy 

Pat Hagan, for the UK's Daily Mail on line, said in 2010 "incredibly, there has never been any major research into the effectiveness or safety of blood transfusions. There are also no clear guidelines on when surgeons should administer donated blood, which may have caused widespread overuse". Why would this be "incredible" to the journalist unless they had been misinformed by assumption?

I have no objection to citing and linking to such reports, but it wouldn't it be better if the forum's headlines set a more objective and rational tone?

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, TrueTom said:

If a person passes through a meat grinder and thereafter declines a transfusion, media will report fanatical opposition to a life-saving (is there any other kind?) blood transfusion as the cause of death.

I'm sure that a lot of newspapers will do this. "If it bleeds, it leads," etc.  And that's why news reports may not be as much of a problem for the Watchtower's Legal Department as are the number of cases studied by physicians who now have hundreds of well-studied cases for comparison, especially regarding certain types of pregnancy issues with and without availability and/or acceptance of blood transfusion therapies.

We have to be careful not to minimize the true sacrifice that many JWs have made over the years, sacrificing either themselves or their children, to their unwavering faith.

The brother who gave my wedding talk was a good friend for many years of both my wife and myself. He was the primary Watchtower Editor in the Writing Dept. For many years, he was also the primary brother at Bethel who took questions on the blood issue. When I was in his office, I often had to sit quietly when an unexpected call was transferred from parents, doctors, patients, Service Department, PR Dept, or "HLC" reps. Some of these were heart-wrenching and I was squeamish just listening. But it was clear that many brothers and sisters, or persons in their care, have made the ultimate physical sacrifice knowing full well that they would have lived with a blood transfusion and died without one.

On 2/16/2017 at 3:04 AM, JW Insider said:

they would have lived with a blood transfusion and died without one.

With respect, this will always be "may have lived" and it will always be the underlying medical problem that caused their death. (Discounting sin of course). Getting this right in no way minimises the stand these courageous and loyal brothers and sisters take.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.