The World News Media

New Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Pandemic (aka WuFlu)

TheWorldNewsOrg

• Views 18.1k
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An outbreak of a novel coronavirus was initially identified during mid-December 2019 in the city of Wuhan in central China, as an emerging cluster of people with pneumonia with no clear cause. The out

@The Librarian  You know it's never good when a public health scientist starts off a tweet with "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD."    

I don't really know. My youngest son speaks and writes Chinese fairly well and has been writing to some friends in China. They are working under the assumption that some persons CAN get it again, but

Posted Images

More people have died from the Wuhan coronavirus than the 2003 SARS epidemic

The death toll from the novel coronavirus has surpassed that of the 2003 SARS epidemic.

Fatalities from the Wuhan virus climbed past 800 today (Feb. 9), officially topping the 774 deaths attributed to SARS, as millions of people in China prepare to get back to work after an extended Lunar New Year holiday. The overwhelming majority of those deaths, 780, have occurred in China’s Hubei province—home to the city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak—and all but two have been in mainland China.

The first known death from the coronavirus outside of China was a 44-year-old Chinese man from Wuhan who died in the Philippines and was thought to have had other preexisting health conditions. A 39-year-old man with an underlying health condition also died in Hong Kong.

A 60-year-old American woman who died at Jinyintan Hospital in Wuhan on Feb. 6 was the first confirmed non-Chinese death from the illness, the US Embassy said. A Japanese national in Wuhan, a man in his 60s, is also thought to have died from the coronavirus, though the local hospital he was taken to on Jan. 22 couldn’t confirm the cause of death.

The number of people infected with the Wuhan virus globally surpassed that of SARS (8,098) last month. More than 37,000 people worldwide are now thought to have been infected, most of them in mainland China. It’s still too soon to say how deadly the virus is.

Read more: https://qz.com/1799591/wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll-surpasses-that-of-sars/?utm_source=YPL&yptr=yahoo

Highest single day jump of reported cases was between yesterday and today. Don't know when they stop counting for the day, but it's 15,000 new cases identified in the most recent short period. Might be due to a recent increase in patrols where all houses are visited to make sure everyone gets to the hospitals, or identified for quarantine. (The new cases still nearly all confined to Wuhan, Hubei.)

Edited to add: as long as no one has responded to this, I should add that this apparently was actually the result of redefining what it means to have the infection. There was a certain level of evidence required to report a "sure case" of infection with the virus. Now that level of evidence has been redefined to include more cases that might have shown almost no symptoms previously. (A little like when the the autism spectrum was redefined and then suddenly the number of cases of reported autism rose dramatically.)

image.png

image.png

February 13 coronavirus news

Death toll spikes: China's Hubei province announced 242 new deaths from the novel coronavirus, which is known officially as Covid-19, today — twice as many as on the previous day. New infections there jumped by more than 14,000.

What this is about: The spike in numbers is partly due to a broader definition of what constitutes a confirmed case, to include people diagnosed on the basis of their symptoms rather than testing positive.

Global spread: There are at least 570 confirmed cases of coronavirus in more than 25 countries and territories outside mainland China.

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-13-20-intl-hnk/index.html

CV is no joke...

"My aunt and uncle were Americans on the Princess Cruise ship in Japan. They are obsessively healthy people in their 60s and early 70s. They are now both in the ICU in the hospital in Japan. My uncle is having a hard time breathing and my aunt is a week behind him with all her symptoms. This virus is no joke. These are people who go hiking and walking for miles everyday. They had zero health problems. They looked younger than their age. Now they are fighting for their life. If they are both ok and make it through I can’t imagine the level of PTSD from this." - Reddit comment

Covid-19 NOT being life threatening is a challenge?

To do what, count legs still standing up, and divide by two?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

t's NOT a pandemic because (  .... so far .... ) the Corona virus,  Covid-19, or Wuflu, by whatever name it is called daily, has affected about 80,000 people as of today's date, and "only" killed about 2700 people.

This means the death rate is about 3% ... even including the worst countries where treatment to keep you alive is minimal, while your body mounts a defense ... and the very old and infirm  are included in those statistics

It has symptoms like the common cold, or at worst, the flu .... part of the Corona family of "common cold" viruses, this one being labeled No. 19.. 

It's a respiratory disease in humans.

So far, that number of deaths .... is "reportedly" less than the "regular" variants of the flu.

Please feel free to check what I think I know, as my sources may have a hidden agenda.

The WHO (World Health Organization) has stated that as of today it does NOT meet the criteria for a pandemic.

To put this in perspective, Malaria, caused by mosquitos, KILLS ABOUT 100,000 PEOPLE A MONTH, continuously, worldwide. And has ... for a very long time.

My guess is that if you treat Wuflu with a CONSTANT barrage of treatments as you would for someone with severe asthma, who also has the "normal" flu, it is VERY survivable.

Statistics are made up of mostly those who do NOT have these resources, and by lack of resources, and education, are relatively doomed in advance.

THis whole thing reminds me of when William Randolph Hearst, once the owner of the nation's largest newspaper chain, artificially created news to sell newspapers, and eventually convinced the American people to demand Congress to declare war against Spain, who owned Cuba at the time.

He telegraphed his reporters in Havana, who had nothing to write about the supposed atrocities of Spain against the Cubans, to provide photographs, and he would make up the atrocities,

His telegram stated " "...you supply the pictures, I will supply the war".

In the newspaper business " If it bleeds, it leads!" ... and headlines sell papers.

... same thing.

The US has less than one million inpatient acute care beds. You read that right. Source, American Hospital Association:

https://www.aha.org/statistics/fast-facts-us-hospitals

What will happen is cots in gymnasiums.

Next, if 50m Americans get COVID in the next several months (which is not impossible short of Wuhan scale quarantine) then 5m will require hospitalization. Setting aside we don't have the facilities, this will bankrupt the private insurance world. Goodby private healthcare model - it's toast. Even the reinsurance world will collapse.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 11:08 PM, admin said:

The US has less than one million inpatient acute care beds. You read that right. Source, American Hospital Association:

The WHO/CDC statistics might already be making it possible to see some differences in health care quality among various nations around the world. Of course, there are still a lot of factors to account for that can't be seen in the public data. Still, I was looking at the statistics on the JHU site, now that over 121,000 infected persons have been reported. This is 81,000 from China and 40,000 from various countries around the world. Using this data as a "snapshot" in time we see the following:

• If we temporarily ignore the Hubei province of China (Wuhan) where the infection evidently broke out before quarantining began to take place then the rest of China has 13,000 cases and has only 116 deaths, which is less than a 1% death rate. i.e., 80,967(China) minus 67773(Hubei) with 3046 deaths in Hubei, and a total of 3162 deaths in all of China.
  • South Korea, similarly, reports 7755 cases and 54 deaths, which is also a death rate of less than 1%..
  • Italy, however, reports 10,149 infected with 631 deaths, which is a death rate of 6%.
  • Iran reports 354 deaths out of 9,000 infected, which is a death rate of over 3.5%
  • Spain is at 2%
  • France is 2%
  • Germany is at about 0.3%.
  • Switzerland about 0.5%
  • The United States is about 3%

Of course, if it turns out that a lot of people with the virus who showed little or no symptoms never sought testing/treatment, then we'll never really know what the true rate was. Also, there is always going to be a mistrust of the numbers. When the W.H.O. gave out statistics from another recent virus that apparently started in China a couple of years ago, China claimed the W.H.O. was "owned by the West" and was skewing statistics. When this virus was first measured by the W.H.O. and the "West" thought that the statistics should look worse for China, some media outlets promoted claims that the W.H.O. was "owned by China."

Also, the virus has been in China long enough for China to have measured most of the original cases as "recovered." Currently the total reported as recovered is 66,000 and almost all of this number applies to the 81,000 cases from China, not the 40,000 generally newer cases outside China. Hubei itself has 49,000 recovered out of its 67750 cases. So that in all of China, there may be only 15,593 remaining cases of the 81,000 infected. There are therefore many more active cases outside of China, than inside China. Several large Chinese provinces currently have ALL their cases eradicated and there is currently NO virus in several provinces that once had the virus. (This can change as quarantines become less restrictive before a vaccine/treatment is developed.)

image.png