The World News Media

Memorial 2020 during covid-19 lockdown

Anna

On 4/6/2020 at 12:09 AM, JW Insider said:

(1 Corinthians 10:16, 17) . . .The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a sharing in the blood of the Christ? The loaf that we break, is it not a sharing in the body of the Christ? 17 Because there is one loaf, we, although many, are one body, for we are all partaking of that one loaf.

And the thought just occurred to me .... I have never, EVER seen a LOAF of bread at the Memorial ... its always as flat as a road kill squirrel.

• Views 5.7k
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you have stated the question very well and have already implied the answers. Yes, some see it as a ritual. But it really is a ritual, just as baptism is a ritual that is not optional. Som

Most of these churches that defy government quarantine restrictions do so because they see the government being opportunistic—‘never let a crisis go to waste.’ They are intensely political on the righ

I have noticed many friends seem to be stressing about the acquisition of the memorial symbols during the coronavirus lockdown. There have been quite a few discussions on social media and in person.

Posted Images

14 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

find a well chewed pacifier .....

I do not find this to be a joke simply because I object to be controlled by anyone!....... and the implication that we are babies and cannot think for ourselves . ..... well it is a blatant lie..... albeit in a joke.

Here in Georgia the orthodox church is going ahead with Easter meetings and offer wine in the same spoon to everyone!   They believe God will protect them.  They forget about the scripture where Jesus said we must not put God to the test.

We had brother Sanders (GB)  give our talk via Zoom in Tbilisi. It was simple and down to earth....... loved it! 

7 hours ago, Arauna said:

I do not find this to be a joke simply because I object to be controlled by anyone!....... and the implication that we are babies and cannot think for ourselves . ..... well it is a blatant lie..... albeit in a joke.

I don't  think it was meant that way Arauna. @Anna asked a genuine question about the very young children being included in the count and @James Thomas Rook Jr. being his normal self made a joke about two or three year olds being included. 

It wasn't to suggest that adult JWs are children or babies. It was actually talking about real babies. 

My wife and celebrated the Memorial last night about 9PM ... I bought a bottle of Chianti wine, and she prepared the unleavened bread.

THEN ... I realized that the wine bottle had a cork, and not a screw off cap.

Who knew?

I did NOT have a corkscrew, but did have a portable, battery operated Ryobi tire inflator, which had a fitting to insert into basketballs and such, to inflate the balls ... a hollow needle to insert into the ball.

So I pushed the needle into the cork as far as it would go, and turned on the inflator.... pressurizing the wine bottle ... and the cork slowly pushed itself up out of the bottle, while my wife kept yelling "It;s gonna explode! It's gonna explode!", and retired to another room.

We read the entire Matthew and Luke account of the Passover and first Memorial, and followed that example, and after the closing prayer, we tasted both the bread and wine.

I ate  the bread and shared it with my seven dogs, which several loved, and several ignored..

It is my understanding that all dogs naturally go to Heaven.

... cats, perhaps 5%.

Ryobi Inflator56835746_2452539314776807_4611451925529886720_n.jpg

10 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

GUESSING

You are guessing too! ... and in a joke-maligning way!  So please provide solid proof that they count babies......toddlers. 

You are so disrespectful sometimes..... sometimes your jokes are condescending / patronizing and shows disrespect......... but I guess you have yet to develop a sense of limits........ it seems you have no self-control regarding this. It is easiest thing in the world to get a cheap laugh on other persons.  I do not see this as wit at all. ....  You imply that the GB cannot distinguish between children and adults....... 

There is a line one does not cross (EVEN IN JOKES)  otherwise you constitute yourself an enemy ..... but I guess you cross them all.  

Why I asked this question about who is counted at the memorial attendance was because the number is around 20 million. There are over 8 million publishers. So who comprises the 12 million? Is everyone in attendance (Bible studies, visitors, inactive ones, disfellowshiped ones, unbaptised children, babies) counted? If yes, then a large number,  of those counted might be young children, that are not normally included in the 8 million, since those are only publishers. Or are little children counted as publishers too? I don't seem to recall that detail. (I forget, do unbaptised publishers report, I think they do. But I can't remember the age you may become an unbaptised publisher..)..

35 minutes ago, Anna said:

is around 20 million. There are over 8 million publishers. So who comprises the 12 million?

I think that the basic rule for taking attendance at a Memorial is the same as counting attendance at conventions. It's everyone who takes up a seat. If an infant or perhaps even a toddler is in the mother's arms they are not counted.

Unbaptized publishers are expected to report, and are counted among the "8 million." Ages may vary, but it should be those young ones, even well below the age when baptism would be appropriate, but who can be expected to report regularly.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.