The World News Media

Can a Person Resign From Being One of Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Patiently waiting for Truth

1 minute ago, Witness said:

https://midwestoutreach.org/2018/02/01/is-gods-name-jehovah/

Is God’s Name Jehovah?

Jehovah’s Witnesses and other Sacred Name groups lit up the Internet last week when Religion News Service claimed, “The original Hebrew name of God re-discovered in 1,000 Bible manuscripts.” At first glance, it sounds like the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has perhaps been vindicated after all for inserting the name Jehovah into their New World Translation:

On January 21, 2018, Bible Scholar Nehemia Gordon and his team of researchers discovered the 1,000th Hebrew Bible manuscript containing the original name of God in Hebrew with vowels.

For two hundred years, scholars have believed based on Greek sources and conjecture that the Hebrew name of God was originally pronounced “Yahweh.” In late 2016, Gordon found never-translated traditional Jewish sources that explicitly identified the vowels of God’s name in Hebrew as “Yehovah.” This is similar to the English Jehovah, but with a “Y” and the emphasis on the final syllable.

This article, however, is more hype than reality. Nehemia Gordon is the leading light in a “revival” of a sect called Karaite Judaism. The Karaites originated in the late eighth century AD. They adhered, as do today’s proponents, to the written text of the Old Testament only, refusing both the Talmud and rabbinic traditions. They considered themselves purists, restoring true Judaism. They regarded use of anything other than the Old Testament as Pharisaism. Some of the Hebrew Roots Movement have been drawn to Gordon because he seems a bit friendly toward Jesus, yet he outright rejects the idea that Jesus is the Messiah.

But what are we to make of the article’s claim of manuscript evidence for this Yehovah pronunciation of God’s name?

Somewhere during the ninth and tenth centuries, a group called the Masoretes arbitrarily put vowels into the Old Testament text in an attempt to standardize pronunciations. The particular Hebrew Manuscript used was the text of ben Ashur. Until the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, it was the oldest Old Testament text we had, and every translation team of the newer Bible versions used it. Again, the vowels are arbitrary, put into the text to standardize pronunciation. Wikipedia notes something important:

It has been suggested that the ben Asher family and the majority of the Masoretes were Karaites.

The vowels were added by the Karaites.

The ben Ashur text – or most of it – is held by Israel. Some of it is lost. It is called the Keter (Crown) and is also referred to as The Aleppo Codex:

The Aleppo Codex (Hebrew: כֶּתֶר אֲרָם צוֹבָא‎ Keter Aram Tzova or Crown of Aleppo) is a medieval bound manuscript of the Hebrew Bible. The codex was written in the city of Tiberias, in what is currently northern Israel, in the 10th century C.E.

So, what we essentially have is a late Jewish restorationist movement (and you thought we only had that in “Christendom”), adding vowels to the Hebrew text and then claiming a newly discovered confirmation of the pronunciation of God’s name!

So, while the headlines may appear to be a breaking story of newly discovered information, it is not new, and the story is contrived. Realistically, how newsworthy would a headline be, reading “One-thousandth Copy of Tenth Century Hebrew Bible with Vowels Arbitrarily Added Has Been Discovered by the Sect That Added the Vowels”?

Like most Watchtower Society “proofs,” it provides no proof at all — just much ado about nothing.

Slander away you counterfeit.  She's also denounces Jesus, since Jesus means 'Jehovah is Salvation".  

• Views 5k
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are not understanding. Therefore you pray in this way: “Our Father who is in heaven, may Your name be treated as holy.”  Matt 6:9 Jesus and his disciples never used a word that is

You might want to get your facts straight.  I have never "denounced" YHVH/YHWH.  I use it frequently.  And I have never denounced "Adonai", or "Abba", or the "Ancient of Days", or "Elohim".  It is not

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/resign/ Yes. A person can resign from our organization in two ways: By formal request. Either orally or in writing, a person can state his

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BroRando said:

She's also denounces Jesus, since Jesus means 'Jehovah is Salvation".  

As if I have never written here about Jesus? You know I have intensely concentrated on Christ, since you've read many of my comments.   How is it, that particular JWs on here have no problem spouting off lies?    When people have to rely on lies to cut down their opponent,  it shows that they have no other "ammo", but to slander.  Just like the governing body.

That's really okay.  It just amazes me how Jesus' words have been fulfilled in the last days.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to them.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you and say all kinds of evil things about you falsely on account of me"  Matt 5:10,11

Meaning
Yah Will Save, Yah Saves
Etymology
From (1) יה (yah), the name of the Lord, and (2) the verb ישע (yasha'), to save.
Related names
• Via יה (yah See the 'browse by form' menu for a long list of yah-names.
• Via ישע (yasha' Abishua, Bar-Jesus, Bath-shua, Chemosh, Elisha, Elishah, Elishua, Hosanna, Hosea, Hoshaiah, Isaiah, Ishi, Jason, Jeshua, Joshua, Malchi-shua, Mesha, Shuah

https://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Jesus.html

38 minutes ago, Witness said:

As if I have never written here about Jesus? You know I have intensely concentrated on Christ, since you've read many of my comments.   How is it, that particular JWs on here have no problem spouting off lies?    When people have to rely on lies to cut down their opponent,  it shows that they have no other "ammo", but to slander.  Just like the governing body.

That's really okay.  It just amazes me how Jesus' words have been fulfilled in the last days.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to them.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you and say all kinds of evil things about you falsely on account of me"  Matt 5:10,11

Meaning
Yah Will Save, Yah Saves
Etymology
From (1) יה (yah), the name of the Lord, and (2) the verb ישע (yasha'), to save.
Related names
• Via יה (yah See the 'browse by form' menu for a long list of yah-names.
• Via ישע (yasha' Abishua, Bar-Jesus, Bath-shua, Chemosh, Elisha, Elishah, Elishua, Hosanna, Hosea, Hoshaiah, Isaiah, Ishi, Jason, Jeshua, Joshua, Malchi-shua, Mesha, Shuah

https://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Jesus.html

They said: “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will get saved, you and your household.”  Acts 16:31

It's obvous you don't beleive in JESUS.  So how is it that the name of Jesus was corrupted to mean 'Jehovah is Salvation'? It wasn't, you're simply a mouth piece for the Devil and his Demons spouting off lies. 

When you dabble in sorcery, do you really think you are going to get a reward? The demons are playing around with you like a cat does to dead mouse. Pawing it back and forth, pulling your strings. Your door is wide open for demonic activity.

Jesus stated,  “When an unclean spirit comes out of a man, it passes through waterless places in search of a resting-place and finds none. Then it says, ‘I will go back to my house from which I moved,’ and on arriving, it finds the house unoccupied but swept clean and adorned. Then it goes and takes along with it seven different spirits more wicked than itself, and after getting inside, they dwell there; and the final circumstances of that man become worse than the first. That is how it will be also with this wicked generation.”

Why are you speeding up your own Destruction?  

Just now, BroRando said:

Slander away you counterfeit.  She's also denounces Jesus, since Jesus means 'Jehovah is Salvation".  

Rambo you are so full of hate and deciet. You cannot be a JW, you must be the counterfeit.

And if you were a true servant of Almight God you would not have the attitude that you have either.

So it seems you do not love God, and it seems you are not a JW. You are a counterfeit on two counts. 

In fact on three counts because you use many AKA's to try to confuse people. Add that to your counterfeit dates and false predictions. You are a complete FRAUD. :) Have a wonderful day.  

4 minutes ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

Rambo you are so full of hate and deciet. You cannot be a JW, you must be the counterfeit.

And if you were a true servant of Almight God you would not have the attitude that you have either.

So it seems you do not love God, and it seems you are not a JW. You are a counterfeit on two counts. 

In fact on three counts because you use many AKA's to try to confuse people. Add that to your counterfeit dates and false predictions. You are a complete FRAUD. :) Have a wonderful day.  

Now that the whole fourm knows that you salnder and denounce Jehovah. They also know you denounce Jesus as your Lord and Savior because his Name gives witness to his God and Father meaning, 'Jehovah is Salvation'.  

Why are you quotng scripture from the Book of John?  John has Jehovah's Name in it too you Big Fake!

JOHN

[English equivalent of Jehohanan, meaning “Jehovah Has Shown Favor; Jehovah Has Been Gracious”].

1 hour ago, BroRando said:

Now that the whole fourm knows that you salnder and denounce Jehovah. They also know you denounce Jesus as your Lord and Savior because his Name gives witness to his God and Father meaning, 'Jehovah is Salvation'.  

Why are you quotng scripture from the Book of John?  John has Jehovah's Name in it too you Big Fake!

JOHN

[English equivalent of Jehohanan, meaning “Jehovah Has Shown Favor; Jehovah Has Been Gracious”].

Keep it up Billy the Kid. You are good for a laugh. 

25 minutes ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

Keep it up Billy the Kid. You are good for a laugh. 

As the Last Days come to their end, there is no escaping for your kind.  But you are already melting.  Look! Jehovah has struck his oppossers!

Zechariah 14:12

“And this is the scourge with which Jehovah will scourge all the peoples who wage war against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot away while they stand on their feet, their eyes will rot away in their sockets, and their tongues will rot away in their mouths.

Psalm 37:13

But Jehovah will laugh at him, For He knows that his day will come.

13 hours ago, BroRando said:

As the Last Days come to their end, there is no escaping for your kind.  But you are already melting.  Look! Jehovah has struck his oppossers!

Zechariah 14:12

“And this is the scourge with which Jehovah will scourge all the peoples who wage war against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot away while they stand on their feet, their eyes will rot away in their sockets, and their tongues will rot away in their mouths.

Psalm 37:13

But Jehovah will laugh at him, For He knows that his day will come.

Billy Rambo you are such a fake :).  But Jesus will judge you and Jesus will judge me. I would think that He is not happy with either of us. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.