The World News Media

Posts moved from a recent topic about a J.F.Rutherford book

JW Insider

On 5/19/2022 at 9:53 AM, Anna said:

Let us know what you find out that you already didn't know....in the closed club if you can 😊

As you might have guessed, I rarely pay attention to whether something is in the Open or Closed club. The Closed Club is definitely much more pleasant, many less distractions, but I'm sure it gives others the feeling that we have something to hide. The real reason, of course, is to stay away from persons who look for any reason they can think of to start fights, create dissension, highlight GB errors, and turn the subject to false predictions and child abuse. Come to think of it, that's a good enough reason.

There is one other consideration. I prefer to share opinions where they can be challenged from anyone, not just the dozen or so people who regularly participate in the Closed Club. There is also a better chance that someone else, who we don't know yet, is also reading the book and will come along to join in the discussion. That has happened before with discussions of God's name in the LXX, etc.

What I could do, also, is exercise my moderator powers and merely move any posts to a different topic if they are mostly unrelated. I think I'll try that. That goes for memes and pictures that are unrelated too, Pudgy. 😉 Actually, I'm always happy when I see a bunch of unrelated pictures from Pudgy, because it reminds me of how much quicker it is can be to read through a book that has lots of pictures --and they're usually funny! But I feel badly for those who start a serious topic, like Arauna just did, and it so quickly gets taken over by parody covers of children's books.

So, if I end up making a topic of comments on this book, I think I'll try just making a separate topic for the distractions. That doesn't mean people can't attack the book, or attack me for bringing it up. Those posts can remain, of course. But the little squabbles people want to bring up on the side will go to a topic made for that purpose. Assuming I can keep up. 😧

• Views 6.8k
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree, but that's not what I was talking about. To me it looks more like they are trying to make us think that they will deliver some kind of "piece de resistance" which will save our lives at

You are so ridiculous, just listen to yourself...  

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

There is one other consideration. I prefer to share opinions where they can be challenged from anyone, not just the dozen or so people who regularly participate in the Closed Club.

For a long time this carried the day with me as well, but in time I grew tired with the quality and predictability of the challenges. 

10 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

For a long time this carried the day with me as well, but in time I grew tired with the quality and predictability of the challenges. 

I'm convinced. Any of my own comments on the book will be in the Closed section. But not until I've read the whole book, which is taking even more time because I am trying to look up so many of the references. There are usually several on each of the 650 pages.

7 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Somehow it reminds me of that Bible talk of Ehud, who delivered to fat Eglon a ‘pointed message,’ causing you-know-what to spill all over.

Guts?

Ewwwwwwww!

17 hours ago, WalterPrescott said:

{Thinnking]: There are several things wrong with this Bible Student account on Wikipedia with P.S.L. Johnson. This is why people should read the fine print, especially when it states, citation needed. However, it’s part of Bible Student's historical record.

I wish I had kept track of who is was, but I didn’t.

Someone responded, by email, post, comment, I forget which, to say he used to edit Wikipedia for Witness-related things and he had to be on it all the time. He would say things from the Witness point of view and 24 hours later the apostates [his word] would have changed it back to something derogatory. P.S.L. Johnson would probably be too obscure for anyone to bother with.

What I can’t remember is if this was on his own initiative or if it was some freelance theocratic assignment, or a bit of both.

He liked some of the stuff I was doing, but cautioned my with a line from Nietzsche [so he was just your typical brother. :)  ]: “Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” I have let that moderate my behavior, even if not so far as calling a truce. 

If only all of Walter’s writings were of this caliber. I would unblock him in an instant.

37 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I wish I had kept track of who is was, but I didn’t.

Someone responded, by email, post, comment, I forget which, to say he used to edit Wikipedia for Witness-related things and he had to be on it all the time. He would say things from the Witness point of view and 24 hours later the apostates [his word] would have changed it back to something derogatory. P.S.L. Johnson would probably be too obscure for anyone to bother with.

What I can’t remember is if this was on his own initiative or if it was some freelance theocratic assignment, or a bit of both.

He liked some of the stuff I was doing, but cautioned my with a line from Nietzsche [so he was just your typical brother. :)  ]: “Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” I have let that moderate my behavior, even if not so far as calling a truce. 

If only all of Walter’s writings were of this caliber. I would unblock him in an instant.

Tom who counseld you?..I’m not understanding..

19 hours ago, WalterPrescott said:

A site you should be familiar with since you are also mentioned there.

I don’t see any mention of him there. 

Yeah, I suppose you could get worked up over certain things. But to the point of missing the big picture? When he was baptized “into Christ” did he thereafter become brother to the 95% of Christians who equate Jesus with God?

This statement is telling to me: “I myself was sure that the Branch would not dare to do anything.” Isn’t there such a thing as overestimating your own importance? 

Recently Elon Musk proposed to buy Twitter. “I’m sure the left wouldn’t dare do anything,” he said.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.