The World News Media

How the New European Data Law Will Affect Jehovah’s Witnesses - My Take

TrueTomHarley

14 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

If yes, perhaps Jesus was not only spiritual Teacher but also successful Wall Street Investment Advisor?

Well.....if you insist upon going there, then you must also include Pharoah’s daughter, who went down to the Nile bank and withdrew a small prophet.

• Views 3.3k
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have got a great way to minimise our Not-At-Homes. We've been doing it for years: Not Homes.mp4

Re making interest by way of bank or stock market: (Matthew 25:24-27) 24 “Finally the slave who had received the one talent came forward and said: ‘Master, I knew you to be a demanding man, reapi

Yikes! No “data-gathering” according to the new privacy law. What to do? As far as I am concerned, this is a blessing in disguise. Jehovah’s people will adapt. They always do.  I even think

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Well.....if you insist upon going there, then you must also include Pharoah’s daughter, who went down to the Nile bank and withdrew a small prophet.

TTH that is fantastic. Best one on here that I've seen. 

On a more serious note though. If as I think you said, the GB /Wt / JW Org (who it seems are 3 separate entities ) are investing in the 'stocks', is it possible to trace exactly what stocks they are investing in.  There are always rumours of course but is it possible to find the truth. Do any of those 3 have to publicly show who they are investing in ? 

Another strange thing, if they are 'charities' non profit making, then surely 'playing the stock exchange' is making profit. 

3 minutes ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Another strange thing, if they are 'charities' non profit making, then surely 'playing the stock exchange' is making profit. 

Anyone who has any money at all must park it somewhere when not in immediate use. Large swaths of the market far emphasize safety of principle over its increase. After all, if you do nothing at all, you lose your principle due to inflation.

Re making interest by way of bank or stock market:

(Matthew 25:24-27) 24 “Finally the slave who had received the one talent came forward and said: ‘Master, I knew you to be a demanding man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not winnow. 25 So I grew afraid and went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ 26 In reply his master said to him: ‘Wicked and sluggish slave, you knew, did you, that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not winnow? 27 Well, then, you should have deposited my money with the bankers, and on my coming I would have received it back with interest.

Jesus acknowledged the bankers' work (and the methods they use to get interest). If the bankers gamble with your money (in the stock market  - every single bank [international development bank and commercial bank] has a department that invests in stocks) and make interest you don't usually complain and ask how the interest was made and wherein they invested your money.  You put out your hand and take the interest.  It is like what Paul said:

(1 Corinthians 10:25, 26)" 25 Eat whatever is sold in a meat market, making no inquiry because of your conscience, 26 for “to Jehovah belong the earth and everything in it.” 

6 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

(Matthew 25:24-27) 24 “Finally the slave who had received the one talent came forward and said: ‘Master, I knew you to be a demanding man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not winnow. 25 So I grew afraid and went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ 26 In reply his master said to him: ‘Wicked and sluggish slave, you knew, did you, that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not winnow? 27 Well, then, you should have deposited my money with the bankers, and on my coming I would have received it back with interest.

Here we have confusion about Bible verses and meaning. Can we conclude from Jesus' words that He supported the financial and economic system of the Jewish and Roman Monetary System?

Parables and Illustrations or Verbatim Advice what do do with Money? :)))

What is Spiritual and what is Literal? What is Story Lesson?  

"...you knew, did you, that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not winnow?"  - Is this Jesus, Master you want as King? 

Jesus Saves .... But Moses INVESTS!

And remember what God told the Pioneer Brother in Ohio who lost his job, and his wife lost hers, and she became pregnant, and the Brother prayed incessantly, day and night, to win the Lottery, to support his family ....

( ... imagine a voice like rolling thunder ...)

IT WOULD HELP IF YOU BOUGHT A TICKET !

10 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

Re making interest by way of bank or stock market:

Jesus acknowledge the bankers work (and the methods they use to get interest). If the bankers gamble with your money (in the stock market  - every single bank [international development bank and commercial bank) has a department that invests in stocks) and make interest you don't usually complain and ask how the interest was made and wherein they invested your money.  You put out your hand and take the interest.  It is like what Paul said:

(1 Corinthians 10:25, 26)" 25 Eat whatever is sold in a meat market, making no inquiry because of your conscience, 26 for “to Jehovah belong the earth and everything in it.” 

Twisting scripture to suit your own means. Typical JW. There is a big difference between putting your money in the bank and Gambling on the stock market.

Gambling is gambling whatever way you do it. It's not me that is against gambling it's your GB / JW Org / W/t writers.

It's the love of money that is a sin not just having money. But my point is , as with the Smoking thing, not made 'law' in the Org until 1970, and the Christmas thing not made 'law' in the Org until around 25 years after they knew it was wrong.  So it is with the Stock Market, they know it's wrong but they still do it and allow others to do it. 

But if a congregant should do the Lottery or other forms of gambling they would get 'reproved' from the platform. 

4 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

"...you knew, did you, that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not winnow?"  Is this Jesus, Master you want as King? 

Since all these parables are explained in the context of working for kingdom interests—largely, in the preaching and disciple-making activity, I think this line translates into the “wicked” slave refusing to do that work and throwing it back in the Master’s face, as though to say:

”You want disciples? Then get off your lazy rear end and make them yourself!”

On 5/29/2019 at 3:35 AM, TrueTomHarley said:
  On 5/28/2019 at 4:20 PM, JOHN BUTLER said:

But be serious on this one. Surely the Stock Exchange is still gambling ?

Some may feel this to be the case. Of course there is no mandate to invest in Stocks as there is also no prohibition. It is just one of those matters for a personal decision, such a problem for those who prefer rules. Investopedia has a summary on this "myth".

Investing in Stocks Equates to Gambling

This reasoning causes many people to shy away from the stock market. To understand why investing in stocks is inherently different from gambling, we need to review what it means to buy stocks. A share of common stock represents ownership in a company. It entitles the holder to a claim on assets as well as a fraction of the profits that the company generates. Too often, investors think of shares as simply a trading vehicle, and they forget that stock represents ownership.

In the stock market, investors are constantly trying to assess the profit that will be left over for shareholders. This is why stock prices fluctuate. The outlook for business conditions is always changing, and so are the future earnings of a company.

Assessing the value of a company is complex. There are so many variables involved that short-term price movements appear to be random (academics call this the random walk theory); however, over the long term, a company is supposed to be worth the present value of the profits it will make. In the short term, a company can survive without profits because of the expectations of future earnings, but no company can fool investors forever—eventually, a company's stock price will show the true value of the firm.

Gambling, in contrast, is a zero-sum game. Gambling merely takes money from a loser and gives it to a winner. No value is ever created whereas the overall wealth of an economy increases through investing. As companies compete, they increase productivity and often develop products that improve lives. Investing and creating wealth should not be confused with gambling's zero-sum game.

Of course, some approach investment with a gambler's mentality and often end up with a gambler's reward.....nothing.

As far as gambling is concerned, elders have better things to do than be concerned about those who wish to throw their money into the air. However, there are other connected issues that have more serious repercussions, These may invite attention.

I couldn't resist exploding the Stock Exchange myth as it has surfaced here and may mislead others, but I'm bowing out of this thread now as it is off topic and discused thoroughly elsewhere :)

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.