James Thomas Rook Jr.

WHAT DID YOU LEARN THAT WAS NEW AT THE 2019 "LOVE NEVER FAILS" REGIONAL CONVENTION ?

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

James Thomas Rook Jr. -
JOHN BUTLER -

Top Posters

I realize there are many reasons to go to an Assembly, or Convention, and when my children were living at home they would go to others' conventions  for a variety of reasons, as well as their own.

I would always ask them when they returned home "What did you learn that was new?" .  This was important to me as I had to work long hours to afford to finance their explorations and socialization, which I thought was important ... but I still expected them to learn something new ... and since I was paying for their travels, to tell me what was going on.

Generally, attendance to an out of town Convention nearby would cost about $200 a day, times three days, so that would be $600.

Now that I am retired, and my income has been cut by about 80%, it's even MORE important to me to want to get good value for the time and money I would be spending for my wife and I to spend three days, traveling out of town, to learn something of lasting value .... something worth at least three days of our time, which is painfully obviously shorter, and the what is now considerable effort and considerable expense.

In Engineering it's important that the "Law of diminishing returns" be observed so that you do not go physically, mentally or emotionally bankrupt.

Perhaps I am just asking for some encouragement that the effort is worth the cost and effort, and that the benefit is worth it, so if I may ask ......

WHAT DID YOU LEARN THAT WAS NEW AT THE 2019 "LOVE NEVER FAILS" REGIONAL CONVENTION ?

All you have said, Melinda, is true, but .... (assuming you have already attended the 2019 Convention ...) the question remains,

By the way ... I met my first wife at an Assembly ( she ran out on me with my best friend, an ex Bethelite and a Pioneer).

I met my second wife in Peru, and we both worked on helping to build Bethel, there ( she ran out on me for no specified reason, other than she never loved me ).

and ... I met my current and third wife, Susan,  on a JW dating website, and after six years, she is the love of my life, and my best friend.

My three children, very VERY dedicated to the Organization, and who live within a 200 mile radius, have visited me less than ONE DAY in the last ten years ( this coming December 19th), so you can see why it is important for me to find out how OTHER people process information, and ...

Susan and I are watching the whole thing now on YouTube, and we are taking notes.   I hope the information is worth the effort.

" ... Law of diminishing returns ... ", as you already understand.

Besides, my face and arms are covered with poison ivy from working on my chicken coop, and it's 93 degrees out there.

57 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

... remember the original question ... and the stated topic of this thread ?

If we wander far-afield I will remember some really long shaggy dog stories!

You wouldn't want THAT, would you?

2019-07-05_002218.jpg

Forgot to use this scripture in my first post.

Reason we go to meetings and conventions and assemblies (apparently these two are not synonyms)

(Hebrews 10:24, 25) And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, 25 not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you see the day drawing near.

Plain and simple.

3 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

OK, great! Go ahead. Going to music now - have to perform a little piece.

Always happy to learn things like this about people. Without details, I can imagine anything from from music lessons to a professional recital hall.

I think I mentioned once that I played a harmonica at the District Assemblies (aka Summer Conventions), not an instrument one would normally associate with the assembly orchestra. (In fact, we currently associate no instruments with assembly orchestras.) We also don't have choirs anymore. My parents met each other in the volunteer portion of a convention choir. In the early 1950's there was always a core choir assigned from past volunteers, and then they would often invite more volunteers, if they wished, to join them in a section up close to the actual orchestra/choir.

Hey! Maybe we should create a section for posting "Kingdom Songs," or other songs.

Remember the song in the old pink shirt cardboard songbook,  that I used to call the "Let's drag the stones to the Pyramid" song?  I forget the name ...

Bum dee dee BUM de de,  BUM BUM BUM dum bum.

BUM de de BUM de de bum dum dum dum DUM.

Bum de de, Bum de de DUM,  DUM ....

... etc.

I miss that song ....

Memory fails me .... I was always visualizing it as a kettle drum dirge to drag 200 ton stones by .... the predominate musical instrument being a kettle drum being played by a guy that used to work on a Roman Galley ship to time the pulls for slave rowers.

... then I would visualize the slaves rowing the Roman Galley, and amid the booming drum cadence, one slave would yell out "Yoo Hoo! ...Yoo Hoo! ....  I have a blister!".

2 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I don't think so... but memory fails me .... I was always visualizing it as a dirge to drag 200 ton stones by ....

I realized it didn't quite fit your cadence, and I tried to erase my comment in time, but you were too quick. Now I wish I could put back my post with the bad guess, so that your comment would make more sense.

10 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Why the changed it or got rid of it is a mystery to me.

Not much change. It's now 61. It's had a long history, and used to have a few extra measures in it (1950 Songbook) that were considered too repetitive for the 1966 Songbook, and it made it much harder to sing back then.

35 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I  do not remember hearing it since the 1966 (pink cardboard {?}) songbook.  Same cadence? ( I cannot read music ... )

Almost exactly the same. It was recently song 17 in the 2009 Songbook, when the words were changed again (to what they are now). That was to simplify singing with a new rule that every syllable had to have its own note, just to avoid "slurring" a syllable over two or more notes. But musically, it's still very similar to the original version. (Written by a German brother during or very shortly after the WWII persecution there, where he served time in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp in 1942.)

Hello guest!

image.png

13 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

This was important to me as I had to work long hours to afford to finance their explorations and socialization, which I thought was important ... Convention nearby would cost about $200 a day, times three days, so that would be $600.

Kids cost an arm and a leg to raise. Two of them will disable you for life.

Perhaps I am just asking for some encouragement 

Okay. I’ll approach it in that spirit.

WHAT DID YOU LEARN THAT WAS NEW AT THE 2019 "LOVE NEVER FAILS" REGIONAL CONVENTION ?

I think you defeat yourself looking at it this way. The Bible is a finite book. You have been reading it for 70 years. Just what do you expect to learn that is new?

There are three assembly events in modern times. There were three assembly events, connected with the festivals, in ancient times. What did they learn then that was new? Why did they go?

2 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

There are three assembly events in modern times. There were three assembly events, connected with the festivals, in ancient times. What did they learn then that was new? Why did they go?

My best guess is that they went for religious instruction, establishing new trade contacts, keeping a deep-ended gene pool by people from widely disparate gene pools intermarrying, discussion of crops, national and local security issues,  showing and trading and selling livestock, preparing military strategy,  gossip and news, feasting, dancing, drinking, singing, playing music and feasting and giving and recieving open hospitality, demonstrating and learning shop craft and other trade and domestic skills, and making new friends, ... to give a partial list.

It was an Assembly TO FESTIVAL ... probably with a LOT of mutton and fried chicken, and wine.

They had to WALK where they went, with few exceptions, and were not inclined to go anywhere for frivolous reasons, or to waste ANY opportunity for ANY kind of advancement... or to have a wholesome party.

Life was too short ... and too hard!

5 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

It was an Assembly TO FESTIVAL ... probably with a LOT of mutton and fried chicken, and wine.

It is exactly that way with modern assemblies, assuming you brownbag the mutton and chicken, and hold the wine.

5 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

It is exactly that way with modern assemblies, assuming you brownbag the mutton and chicken, and hold the wine.

I would certainly be interested in seeing a copy of THAT Assembly Program Brochure !

The point I am TRYING to make ... is that all the things I mentioned were PART of the official agenda! They were PLANNED that way !

This is second hand information, and I can't say it is "new".  Perhaps it is new in the way it is presented, especially under a convention entitled "Love Never Fails".    I was hoping you may shed some truth to it, since you are taking notes.  

The "rumor" is, JWs are being told they shouldn't form an emotional attachment to their pets; that it is "foolish because they don't have feelings or emotions".  

If it is true that the leaders of the WT have stated this, why would anyone trust anything else these men say about love?  

"So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. "  Gen 9:1,2

6 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

All you have said, Melinda, is true, but .... (assuming you have already attended the 2019 Convention ...) the question remains,

By the way ... I met my first wife at an Assembly ( she ran out on me with my best friend, an ex Bethelite and a Pioneer).

I met my second wife in Peru, and we both worked on helping to build Bethel, there ( she ran out on me for no specified reason, other than she never loved me ).

and ... I met my current and third wife, Susan,  on a JW dating website, and after six years, she is the love of my life, and my best friend.

My three children, very VERY dedicated to the Organization, and who live within a 200 mile radius, have visited me less than ONE DAY in the last ten years ( this coming December 19th), so you can see why it is important for me to find out how OTHER people process information, and ...

Well, James.... I learned that yes, Manasseh did actually repent and was forgiven by Jehovah. (i.e. there is hope for the rest of us!) How do I know? I saw him with my own eyes.

Usually, after living a number of years, we may take stock of ourselves and realize the things that we did not want to believe about ourselves were actually true. We repent and begin to consider how can we make amends. We mellow.

How many people are aware of these very personal things that you have revealed about yourself? A lot? A few? I know these were very hurtful things for you. Thank you for letting us know these things. I am glad that your current mate is "the love of your life and your best friend. May you both live for an eternity together in perfection in Jehovah's new world!

2 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Since you are so very much out of harmony with the ones putting on the program, you will kick back at most of it. I mean, you are not exactly easy to satisfy.

Yeah, the Bereans were colossal "pains in the butt", also

How about you personally post here what you thought was "New", and worthy of fresh examination?

That is what I am asking for.

2 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

How about you personally post here what you thought was "New", and worthy of fresh examination?

Haven’t gone yet. But I think it is possible to extrapolate from prior conventions what this one will be. That’s what I have done.

43 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Seems chicken was introduced centuries later - not at the time of these festivals.  Some Jews kept pigs to sell to others, others probably also kept chickens but it was not in their diet until maybe the Roman times. Eggs were mentioned by Jesus as a gift to one's children.

Talking about songs, the oddest thing happened at our convention. on the last day, the afternoon, just before we get ready to sing "Give me Courage", the brother announces that we should pay attention because the music was slightly changed. ??? My excitement dwindled as I and others had diligently practiced the song since its release on the website last year. Anyway, everyone sang their hearts out, and I must say sounded pretty good, except in the last chorus. For some unexplained reason the music WAS different, however no one was deterred and sang as they had learned it. As a consequence it sounded absolutely awful. Terribly out of tune. Like cats and dogs howling. I stopped singing and just shook my head. When I got home I checked the recorded version of the convention we have for my mother in law who is house bound, and there was no such problem there. It sounds like it was just our convention....?

50 minutes ago, Bubba Johnson Jr said:

I learned that yes, Manasseh did actually repent and was forgiven by Jehovah. (i.e. there is hope for the rest of us!) How do I know? I saw him with my own eyes.

Wow! It's been years since anyone expected Biblical men of old to appear at a convention.

9 minutes ago, JW Insider said:
1 hour ago, Bubba Johnson Jr said:

I learned that yes, Manasseh did actually repent and was forgiven by Jehovah. (i.e. there is hope for the rest of us!) How do I know? I saw him with my own eyes.

Wow! It's been years since anyone expected Biblical men of old to appear at a convention.

What was the ghost wearing?

2019-07-07_233930.jpg

Three pages and no real answers. Says a lot for a JW assembly 

I did like the bit where someone said about not having love for your pets. A sister in the Honiton congregation (my  ex congregation) would really sulk if anyone mentioned she had to leave her dog behind at Armageddon.

And I think Anna mentioned something about not having 'emotional' love for anyone ? I'd need more info on this one though. 

Are these the things that the GB / JW Org are really teaching now ?  It sounds very sad if this is the teachings. 

2 hours ago, Bubba Johnson Jr said:

Ex-congregation? Did the congregation divorce you?

No I divorced them by leaving JW Org.

But it meant that 120 or more people immediately stopped talking to me, so it was as if they had divorced me. 

22 minutes ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

No I divorced them by leaving JW Org. But it meant that 120 or more people immediately stopped talking to me, so it was as if they had divorced me. 

If you divorce a woman, you should not be overly shocked if she stops speaking to you.

7 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Anna mentioned something about not having 'emotional' love for anyone ? I'd need more info on this one though. 

I am sure I didn't say NOT to have emotional love. I wonder why you think that would be ok? Emotional love comes more naturally than principled love though. We don't have to work at emotional love. But to love your "enemies" that is a whole different kettle of fish. Jesus didn't expect us to emotionally love someone who hurts us. But we are expected to love them with principled love AGAPE. I am sure in your days as a Witness you were familiar with the Biblical term and the difference between the various types of love.

49 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

If you divorce a woman, you should not be overly shocked if she stops speaking to you.

I have twice and they don't, but then i haven't seen them anyway. 

Quote @Anna I don't know if this is really new, but I learned it's very important to love, and show love to one another because we as heck are going to need it in the future. And I'm talking about true love, the principled kind, not the sentimental kind.

Sorry Anna I misquoted you earlier. But is there something wrong with sentimental love ? 

sentimental
/sɛntɪˈmɛnt(ə)l/
adjective
  1. of or prompted by feelings of tenderness, sadness, or nostalgia.
    "she felt a sentimental attachment to the place creep over her"
    synonyms:

nostalgic, tender, emotional, dewy-eyed, misty-eyed, affectionate, loving

You seem to be becoming a robot JW. Well that of course is the nature of the beast anyway. The GB have no real love of any sort it would seem, otherwise they would do a much better job at being servants not rulers. Jesus made the point abundantly clear but the GB think they are above Jesus' direction. 

The only love JW's know is a false kind which means 'love' people whilst they are in JW Org, but dislike them if they leave. A very strange kind of love indeed. Is that your principled love ? 

However, one good thing about sentimental love is, it does not expect anything in return.  Sentimental love is for people no longer living, or for animals and for objects which mean something special, or places of beauty such as the countryside or a sea view. Some of those things are God's creations, some are not. 

However, if principled love makes room for collateral damage (you know of which I speak), thern maybe it's not for me. 

3 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

But is there something wrong with sentimental love ? 

Of course there is nothing wrong with that kind of sentimental love. Since I came to America I  have noticed people are more apt at showing this kind of emotion, as opposed to the stiff upper lipped Brits. I had never seen brothers cry while giving a talk on the platform until I came here (usa).  There is a lot of sentimental love at assemblies for sure as well. People are dewy eyed during the videos, songs, and when saying good bye to the brothers and sisters they've met. Honestly John, you are poking holes where you don't need to as it is a non issue. JW's for the most part are an emotional bunch, that is why there is no need to give talks on how to show "sentimental" love!
However, the love we all need to learn is the principled kind. This is the love spoken about in Corinthians 13, and this is the love that is the theme of the convention. "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous. It does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury.  It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous. It does not brag, does not get puffed up bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  Love never fails.

Notice it says it never fails. Well romantic love can fail, so can sentimental love. You do not still "love" your ex wives do you, I didn't think so. Hovever, would you help one of them if they were in dire need and you were able to? That is principled love, AGAPE, the love described in Corinthians that doesn't always come easy to everyone and needs to be worked on. Hence the convention on that theme. If the whole world practiced that kind of love, there would be peace on earth. 

I am trying to find out what was really said about animals, but it seems I will have to wait, if it is really on the programme. So far what was hinted at or rumoured according to Witness does not sound plausible.   But  I know many people, especially women, seem to love animals better than people.  God made man/people in his image, not animals. People will live forever, if they are loyal to Jehovah and pass the final test (which would entail true love for Jehovah) but animals were never promised everlasting life, and Jesus did not die for them. Animals are captivating and truly beautiful but humans are really lovable, that's why Jesus was fond of them even before he came to earth.   (Proverbs 8: 31)  The other angels find them to be lovable and interesting too, they are intrigued by the things men are doing connected to God's will.

(1 Peter 1:12) 12 It was revealed to them that they were ministering, not to themselves, but to you, regarding what has now been announced to you by those who declared the good news to you with holy spirit sent from heaven. Into these very things, angels are desiring to peer.

But Jesus wants us to imitate him and practise the real love that Anna is talking about.  Principled, unselfish love, Agape.  

Sentiment can cause people (even high officials) to make wrong decisions. All the other forms of love are basically selfish, even of they are enjoyable like Eros, but Agape is the force that puts everything back onto the right track. Agape is first, then other forms fall into place.

1 hour ago, Melinda Mills said:

I am trying to find out what was really said about animals, but it seems I will have to wait, if it is really on the programme. So far what was hinted at or rumoured according to Witness does not sound plausible

Year after year after year I send in my suggestion for the Convention theme. Year after year after year it is ignored!

“The righteous one takes care of his domestic animals.” Proverbs 12:10

One glorious year it will happen.

ED27DDC9-2764-4FD3-AB9A-ECE1E2E8E0E1.jpeg

Too funny! Could still be a theme, but for a blog or a book.

The righteous must take care of  everything that is his, especially souls - human or animal.  God sets the example. Taking care is not worshipping, though.

2 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

I am trying to find out what was really said about animals, but it seems I will have to wait, if it is really on the programme.

I don't remember anything being said about animals as was insinuated by some. I do have a recording of the convention though so when I get around to it I will see if I can find it. There is a lot of information to sift through though, so I am wondering if anywhere, it could be in the symposium: "Creation reveals God's love"; Animals.

Are all the talks at assemblies just outlines given to brothers to make up the talks ? 

I know that Public talks for Sunday meetings are just outlines from the GB / Org and the elders make up a talk from the outline. That will mean that every time that same outline is used, the actual talk will be different, at different KH.

If assembly talks are the same type of thing then every assembly will have same outline but the elders/brothers will actually have made up a different talk.  What I'm saying is that at each assembly within that year the talk may be completely different depending how the brother uses the outline. It will not be word for word the same at every assembly. 

Hence what may be said at one assembly may not be said at another assembly. Well that is my line of reasoning, so tell me if I'm wrong.  

(Thanks for the upvote M.M., but I deleted the post as it was just an experiment. Perhaps I'll add a few K.S. to the mix in the near future under another topic. I think this topic was only supposed to be about shaggy and not so shaggy dogs.)

14 minutes ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Are all the talks at assemblies just outlines given to brothers to make up the talks ? 

I know that Public talks for Sunday meetings are just outlines from the GB / Org and the elders make up a talk from the outline. That will mean that every time that same outline is used, the actual talk will be different, at different KH.

If assembly talks are the same type of thing then every assembly will have same outline but the elders/brothers will actually have made up a different talk.  What I'm saying is that at each assembly within that year the talk may be completely different depending how the brother uses the outline. It will not be word for word the same at every assembly. 

Hence what may be said at one assembly may not be said at another assembly. Well that is my line of reasoning, so tell me if I'm wrong.  

As far as I know, there are strict outlines that are closely adhered to, and from my experience of conventions, the same talks by different brothers sound pretty much alike. Not word for word of course, otherwise it wouldn't be an outline but a script. But the likely hood of them sounding completely different is unlikely. That is not to say some elder couldn't slip in his own ideas, something he maybe feels passionately about.  Especially at a KH.  This happens very rarely now though, and especially not at conventions. I remember one elder years ago, had something against Teenage Ninja Turtles, and counseled parents in his talk about how it was not appropriate for a Christian to allow their children to play with those toys. You know that was NOT in the outline. Nevertheless, there were parents that made their kids throw away all their treasured Ninja Turtles.... talk about imposing your own conscience on others! This is one reason why the outlines now have become very specific, and have to be strictly followed, so that this kind of thing does not happen.

You are world class!  I performed for the adults in the little piano school I go to, but you performed for the world!  It pleased me mightily! The teacher is a young woman about 30,  but she is  professionally trained and has the insight of a 60 year old. She was helping us to get over our fear of performing. That was my second performance. The first one was at a nice new school on a new piano. It was held in February. Audience of about 200.  I played Hungarian Rhapsody Theme.  Yesterday  was just an end of term performance so we could help our peers get over performance fears.  I played Black Forest Polka and a piece I used to play when I was eleven in key of G. They were astounded I could still remember it although I never had the book with it. It was owned by the teacher. She would let me play from that book for a change. 

"If you don't recognize the tune, it never made the cut for Kingdom Songs."  Too funny!  I enjoyed it so much that although I know the piece, I can't  write the  name of it.   Sounds like Bach.  My preferred kind of music is classical, so you did well.

Hi JWI, Funny but I am still playing Kingdom Songs from the big brown 1984 book. (And my copy still looks new) They are about seven songs in there that I used to play well  (13, 14,15 , 17 and 201) and I have just continued where I left off. In the new book I am working on  No 43 - A Prayer of Thanks and 115 Gratitude for Divine Patience which I also used to play before. I pick the ones where the music is simpler. I rather play in C than with four flats or sharps. The best one is 15 Life without End - At Last! No. 15 in the old book in the key of C.   In the new book it is in Aflat major I think with four flats.  I sometimes turn the function key from piano to Pipe (Church) Organ and pretend to be an organist. Some brothers are prejudiced to the organ, so I play it for myself. These new electric pianos can sound like almost any instrument by just the touch of a switch.  Love of music is God-given and he is not against music, but everything must be put in its place. 

I decided to continue my music as it is said to help the brain. If you don't use it you lose it.   Music helps us to use a part of the brain that is not frequently used.  It also helps to build a high level of discipline, listening ability, appreciation, tolerance and other good qualities.  Look up the benefits.  They have also come across quite a few Alzheimers persons who can still play although they are not very functional otherwise. So that says something. It helps one also to be able to enjoy oneself when alone. So don't put the harmonica back into the case, do a little practise every day.  Hope to post something if I get it recorded. Like you and Anna,  I like Bible study, language, fine art and music. 

If they put me in prison rest assured I will sing not Dee Dum Bum Bum  , but "Firm and Determined in this Time of the End... from "Forward You Witnesses!" 29 in 1984 book. Was singing it since  the 1950s, so don't think that is coming out of my brain now. I will simply read  and sing the new words but the old words are etched there for good.  (Let Rook know)

1 minute ago, Melinda Mills said:

You are world class!

What's that about? Was it @JW Insidershowing off or something? 😃. I know he deleted a post, but I didn't see it before he did so....

26 minutes ago, Melinda Mills said:

I decided to continue my music as it is said to help the brain. If you don't use it you lose it.   Music helps us to use a part of the brain that is not frequently used.  It also helps to build a high level of discipline, listening ability, appreciation, tolerance and other good qualities. 

I agree. My mum plays the piano, well, I should say played. She and her husband moved to a small more manageable flat (they had a big house before) but she couldn't take her piano with her as it would never fit. I am trying to encourage her to at least get a keyboard so she keeps her hand/brain coordination fresh, and all the other things you mention. I will bring it up again!

8 minutes ago, Melinda Mills said:

Yes, posted a video and it was nice. He was playing a classical piece. on the harmonica.

Awww I missed that! I would have liked to hear it. I wonder if he will send it in a PM @JW Insider ? Pretty please?

30 minutes ago, Melinda Mills said:

You are world class!

Ha ha! I should repost it, just to prove how much you are exaggerating. Harmonica starts to become second nature to breathing if you play it enough, but I hadn't played in literally years, and I noticed that it was no longer second nature.

Hungarian Rhapsody, I've heard, very nice. The polka I didn't know until looking it up just now. Looks like a polka that could easily be used in old western movies, in a honky-tonk tavern, especially by adding in a bit more "stride" style to it.

Hi JWI, Funny but I am still playing Kingdom Songs from the big brown 1984 book. (And my copy still looks new) They are about seven songs in there that I used to play well  (13, 14,15 , 17 and 201)

I'm thinking we should add a topic called Kingdom Songs, and we could attract more people to add their own keyboard, violin, harmonica, ocarina, recorder/flute, guitar, etc., just to focus on the simple ones at first. Maybe more people, young ones especially, would take more of an interest in the music. I notice a lot less singing coming from the young ones (and everyone) these days.

I rather play in C than with four flats or sharps.

Absolutely. Although with a chromonica, you can just play as you normally would in C and keep a single button pressed in for the key of C#/Db. It sharps every note a half step.

If they put me in prison rest assured I will sing not Dee Dum Bum Bum  , but "Firm and Determined in this Time of the End... from "Forward You Witnesses!" 29 in 1984 book. Was singing it since  the 1950s, so don't think that is coming out of my brain now.

LOL! I can't remember the words from the 1950 version of that song anymore. But I did have trouble with the transition to fewer measures in '66. And it was not the only song that changed a bit, mostly words. But we also lost some nice songs from the '50 that still stick with me. But, then again, I was only 9 in '66 and I suspect you were already 10. 😉

3 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

They are outlines at the assemblies and conventions, but they are so tightly packed that it is barely possible to deviate or ramble. Most convention talks these days are but 10 minutes in length, and that often includes a video.

Public talks at the Kingdom Hall are 30 minutes in length. The aim is to follow the outline supplied, but there is more room for expounding, illustrating, personalization, etc.

Mess up a Kingdom Hall talk and you may live to do another one. Mess up an assembly talk and you are not likely to be assigned another.

3 hours ago, Anna said:

Awww I missed that! I would have liked to hear it. I wonder if he will send it in a PM

I didn't re-post the little Bach piece, but I did start a place for anyone to post some Kingdom Song performances. So far it includes two Kingdom Songs: 115 and 42. ("Gratitude for Divine Patience" and "The Prayer of God's Servant") Both in harmonica, though, not exactly an easy-listening instrument.)

16 hours ago, Anna said:

There is a lot of information to sift through though, so I am wondering if anywhere, it could be in the symposium: "Creation reveals God's love"; Animals.

Fortunately for us, this was addressed many years ago in a Watchtower QUESTIONS FROM READERS.

Many have considered this fake, but a close reading in it's entirety shows it does follow every norm of reason and logic that we are used to, so you should carefully decide, for yourself.

This is a photo that you can download.

Are Cats For Christians   .jpg

But then again, what are pets, but entertainment for humans?

I once talked with a man who hated all pets, because they served no function.  I pointed out that mine were entertainers.

Sometimes,....late  at night ... when the house gets quiet and my five dogs and 18 chickens are sleeping, I pause for a moment and wonder ...

... then I might have a glass of milk, have a few cookies, and go to bed.

5 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

But then again, what are pets, but entertainment for humans?

Now you’ve got it. My own mutt has become quite the songwriter: 

(Sung to the tune of Love Potion #9)

I took my appetite to Madame Mew,
You know that neighbor cat that’s been taboo.
She’s got a pad and she’s setting up so fine,
but what she doesn’t know is
for my dinner she’ll be mine.

I told her that I was a reformed bitch.
I hadn’t eaten cat since 96.
She looked at me suspiciously but then she changed her mine,
she said ‘You seem a changed dog,
and that suits me just fine.

She lay down and turned around and I gave a wink.
I said ‘I’m gonna eat this cat with ketchup, I think,’
I knew that when I made my move she’d raise quite a stink.
I held my nose, I closed my eyes,
but then I blinked:

I didn’t know if it was day or night,
She screeched and scratched at everything in sight,
but when she caught my snout, then I nearly lost my mind.
I said ‘I’ll leave this cat alone,
clear till the end of time.

Clear till the end of ti-hi-hi-hi-hime,
clear till the end of time.

(Don’t try to revive your singing career with this, old  boy. The mutt will sue in a heartbeat. He is the most litigious dog I have ever owned.)

I

7 minutes ago, Melinda Mills said:

Looking forward to hear what is going to be said about animals/pets at the assembly. 

Have you heard that this is one of the topics?

I hope it is not as cringeworthy as having children donate their ice cream money, and Bro Anthony "Tight Pants Tony" buying a shopping cart full of top shelf Scotch Whiskey.

Perhaps they want the dog food money also?

9 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

... in an earlier age, I would have had an "emotional support" Tyrannosaurus Rex, and my therapy would have been watching him eat Lawyers.

Even you are going totally off your own topic, but you are funny. 

We have cats. They want food and that's all.  They must have joined me in the lack of love thing i have going on. :)  

49 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I hope it is not as cringeworthy as having children donate their ice cream money,

This is a reference to a Caleb and Sophia video which would be seen as praiseworthy were it for any other cause.

If Sophia had had an epiphany and donated her ice cream money to the ‘world hunger fund,’ or the ‘world peace fund,’ or the ‘save the planet fund’ or the ‘animal rescue fund’ or almost any charitable fund, the video would be lauded. It represents training a child that not everything is about her, and that used to be seen as a good thing.

It is only because the malcontents here despise the Witness organization dedicated to the relief of ‘spiritual hunger’ that this video is so attacked. Were it for anything else, it would be lauded.

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

It represents training a child that not everything is about her, and that used to be seen as a good thing.

Exactly. Plus, it's not as if Sofia will never have any ice cream again @James Thomas Rook Jr.. You of all people should agree with that type of upbringing, in a world where the kids think the world owes them. Parents need to do society a favor and read the latest Awake: 

Hello guest!

4 minutes ago, Anna said:

Exactly. Plus, it's not as if Sofia will never have any ice cream again @James Thomas Rook Jr.. You of all people should agree with that type of upbringing, in a world where the kids think the world owes them.

And to think that the old boy laments that his ‘loyal Watchtower’ kids do not visit him, when he devotes his entire life to ridiculing and undermining that which they most hold dear. One doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

3 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

And to think that the old boy laments that his ‘loyal Watchtower’ kids do not visit him, when he devotes his entire life to ridiculing and undermining that which they most hold dear. One doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

I do not lament it .... it is exactly what I taught them from Kindergarten on, .... get on with your life, and never look back.

I had hoped they would be on their way to the stars, by now.  

I do find that it does clash with "Love Never Fails", since they are NOT spacefarers.

If there is anybody to blame .... it is NASA.

6 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:
25 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I do not lament it .... it is exactly what I taught them from Kindergarten .... get on with your life, and never look back.

In that case, the answer is to cry, even if he is not sensible enough to cry along.

This is a reference to a Caleb and Sophia video which would be seen as praiseworthy were it for any other cause.

If Sophia had had an epiphany and donated her ice cream money to the ‘world hunger fund,’ or the ‘world peace fund,’ or the ‘save the planet fund’ or the ‘animal rescue fund’ or almost any charitable fund, the video would be lauded. It represents training a child that not everything is about her, and that used to be seen as a good thing.

It is only because the malcontents here despise the Witness organization dedicated to the relief of ‘spiritual hunger’ that this video is so attacked. Were it for anything else, it would be lauded.

No, if it was any other organisation it would be seen as begging for money. It would be seen as cheesy and praying on young children. 

But JW's HAVE to support everything their bosses tell them to. Keep worshipping your GB Tom.  

As for relief of ‘spiritual hunger’ that is super funny, because the GB cannot even get 'spiritual food' right. Remember Tom your GB ARE NOT inspired and they tend to ERR (tell lies). 

Remember those books that we all used to study and believe, that are now not even spoken about because the GB feel shame about even allowing them to be studied. Those books that are now banned. And those magazines from the past that are now so embarrassing to the GB and it's Org. Well those are the type of things that you and others want children to give their money for. Take money from your children and spend it on writing fairy tales and LIES. 

Tom, your GB do not know the truth. They do not write the truth. They guess and tell lies. They make it up as they go along. Do you really want children to contribute to that ? It is bad enough that those children have to go to meetings and listen to it. 

39 minutes ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Maybe removed from KH libraries too ? Some actually written by brothers that were later disfellowshipped ? 

In many halls the very library itself can no longer be found. So there are no older books, just a shelf for current (but used) Bibles and Songbooks that folks left accidentally. But it's true that the out of print books are not banned. Just harder to find, such as Aid to Bible Understanding and Commentary on the Letter of James. But if it were not well known which writer wrote a specific book, and it usually isn't, then there was no need to remove those books. The need to replace the Aid book with Insight began in a hurry after R.Franz became known as the head writer, through his own admission in Crisis of Conscience, but most the entries are still exactly verbatim what was in the Aid book. But they still haven't replaced "Choosing the Best Way of Life" and it's still available on the Watchtower Library CD, and wol.jw.org.

There are books that make us cringe, and those who ask specific questions about anything prior to 1970 will probably be looked at as if they are losing faith in the organization. Don't try to ask if anyone knows of anything still good in the Finished Mystery book, for example.

There is still a lot of good information in some of the books and magazines prior to 1970, but most anything useful has been repeated, or updated/corrected in more recent books and magazines. Also, I have some memos I was going to share here once that showed that in assigning topics, the head of Writing had a kind of rule that every topic would be revisited before 20 years were up. So if a topic hadn't been touched in a while, you might at least see it updated, for example, in 1939, 1958, 1977 (and 1996, 2015 if they still kept the "policy" going).

A couple of big changes that make a lot of books up to even 2000 obsolete is the fact that we no longer make a prophecy out of parables and narrative portions of the Bible. This doesn't make the good counsel obsolete, but usually it means that this counsel now applies to everybody, not just a specific class. (i.e., Shulammite class, Haman class, Esther class, Elijah class, Elisha class, Ruth class, Naomi class, Jehu class, Jezebel class, Jeremiah class, Jonadab class, Samaritan class, Prodigal Son's Brother's class, etc.)

In that case, the answer is to cry, even if he is not sensible enough to cry along.

If you want to cry at what is real .... knock yourself out. I have told the story many times on the Archive of the Daddy Bird rescuing his three baby birds from a river island about to be completely flooded.  I told that story to my children individually, at least a dozen times, each.

This is a variation of that story ;

"A bird once set out to cross a windy sea with its three fledglings. The sea was so wide and the wind so strong, the father bird was forced to carry his young, one by one, in his strong claws. 

When he was half-way across with the first fledgling, the wind turned to a gale, and he said, “My child, look how I am struggling and risking my life in your behalf. When you are grown up, will you do as much for me and provide for my old age?”  The fledgling replied, “Only bring me to safety, and when you are old I shall do everything you ask of me.” Whereat the father bird dropped his child into the sea and it drowned, and he said, “So shall it be done to such a liar as you.”
Then the father bird returned to shore, set forth with his second fledgling, asked the same question, and receiving the same answer, drowned the second child with the cry, “You, too, are a liar!”
Finally he set out with the third fledgling, and when he asked the same question, the third and last fledgling replied, “My dear father it is true you are struggling mightily and risking your life in my behalf, and I shall be wrong not to repay you when you are old, but I cannot bind myself. This though I can promise: when I am grown up and have children of my own, I shall do as much for them as you have done for me.” Whereupon the father bird said, “Well spoken, my child, and wisely; your life I will spare and I will carry you to shore in safety.”

"Tough Love" is more of a necessity when you do not have opposable thumbs.

Love Never Fails.

4 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

bird once set out to cross a windy sea with its three fledglings. The sea was so wide and the wind so strong, the father bird was forced to carry his young, one by one, in his strong claws. 

When he was half-way across with the first fledgling, the wind turned to a gale, and he said, “My child, look how I am struggling and risking my life in your behalf. When you are grown up, will you do as much for me and provide for my old age?”  The fledgling replied, “Only bring me to safet

Put this in a readable font and I will look at it

Just now, TrueTomHarley said:

Put this in a readable font and I will look at it

I used that font specifically to make it incomprehensible to you, TTH.

You can read it if you really want to by standing on your head, and looking at it in a mirror, with your eyes crossed.

9 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Books that have gone out of print are not “banned.”

Yeah, because GB in USA is not like Russian's Judges who banned "problematic" books, no matter when were printed :))))

But i can see how JW Library do not have all WT Society publications printed from 1879. What is problem? Servers? IT network, Infrastructure? Cloud Storage? :))) 

3 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

But i can see how JW Library do not have all WT Society publications printed from 1879. What is problem? Servers? IT network, Infrastructure? Cloud Storage? :))) 

There were two problems:

1.) The Governing Body did not want to digitize everything as due to space requirements that  all text would have to be in lower case letters, and

2.) At the computer workstations  the mouses' cursors would bump into the edges of the monitors, and it would require building mouse pad extensions.