The World News Media

The Holy Spirit

Cos

1 hour ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Your premise is based on a false assumption 

No Mr. Rook, my “premise” is based on the Bible!

On what ‘premise” do base your idea? A worldly one?

1 hour ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

My theology may be described as a "chainsaw theology".

It has to make common sense and have real life examples .

I don’t care what you call your “theology”, where is your Biblical support?

Anyone can make a doctrine up and twist what you call “real life examples” to try to support that made up doctrines, but without Biblical support it is worthless!

The personhood of the Holy Spirit is affirmed by Scripture, but because you base your idea of the Holy Spirit on the teaching of men, your use of worldly examples fall flat when put up against the truth of Scripture.

For example, you claim that the passages that show that the Holy Spirit is a Person are “figures of speech”. So when you read (and I’m assuming that you do read a Bible);

“And while they were serving the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart now for me Barnabas and Saul (Paul) for the work to which I have called them.” (Acts13:2).

Why would Luke employ a synecdoche in this passage (and elsewhere)? 

Further your claims about the created universe just goes to show how you want to make God fit your artificial (non-biblical) idea. <><

• Views 21.4k
  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cos: What you have stated is OPINION.  You have proved NOTHING, except that you can type. Both God and Christ have a personal name ... what is the Holy Spirit's name .... Casper? If so,

The quote referenced above reads: "In the Bible, God’s holy spirit is identified as God’s power in action. Hence, an accurate translation of the Bible’s Hebrew text refers to God’s spirit as “God’s ac

Claims of irrationality have always been levelled against witnesses who have experienced Gods great gift. "And we are witnesses of these matters, and so is the holy spirit, which God has given to thos

Posted Images

In 1 Cor. 12:11, we read, “But the one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing separately to each as He wills.”

Here “will” is ascribed to the Spirit and we are taught that the Holy Spirit is NOT a force/power that we are somehow to get hold of and use, but a Person who uses us according to His will. Read it again those of you who don’t “get it”!

The Bible is the only real source of truth, funny how some don’t get that but instead use worldly ideas to try and support their manmade teaching. <><

SCRIPTURE shows that the Holy Spirit is a Person, clearly distinct from the Father (not a subspecies of metaphor as has been claimed) and also distinct from Jesus.

John 16:13-14 “…he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own initiative, but what he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things to come…he will receive from what is mine and will declare it to you.”

Throughout this passages from John’s Gospel, Jesus ascribes the same or similar personal actions to the Holy Spirit as He does to the disciples and even Himself (e.g., I will go/He will come; I have things to say/He will speak).

It would be very strange to ascribe these personal actions in the same way and in the same statement to real persons and to a thing.

John 12:49 “because I have not spoken out of my own impulse, but the Father himself who sent me has given me a commandment as to what to tell and what to speak." (NWT)

John 16:13 “However, when that one arrives, the spirit of the truth, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak of his OWN IMPULSE, but what things he HEARS he will SPEAK, and he will declare to you the things coming.” (NWT)

In the dialogue in the upstairs room, Jesus compared the Holy Spirit to Himself, the comparison of one person to another. It makes no sense doing so if the Holy Spirit is not a person.

Notice John15:26–27;

“But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me. And you also will bear witness…”

Note how Jesus says the Spirit will “bear witness” just as the disciples will bear witness (“you also…”). Jesus regards the Spirit as being just as much a person as each of the disciples, and speaks of them in the same terms. <><

• 1 month later...

Scripture describes the Holy Spirit as a person, not as an impersonal force, when it says that He teaches, guides, comforts and intercedes (John 14:26; Romans 8:14; John 14:26; Romans 8:26).

We are told that He possesses emotions, intellect and will (Ephesians 4:30; 1 Corinthians 2:10–14; 1 Corinthians 12:11).

And one of the most strike irrefutable testimony is that the Holy Spirit spoke to Philip and gave counsel to the church at Jerusalem (Acts 8:29; 15:28). <><

10 minutes ago, Cos said:

Scripture describes the Holy Spirit as a person, not as an impersonal force ......

So ... what is the Holy Spirit's personal name?

Jehovah God has a name and title .... Jehovah the Almighty God.

Jesus has a name and title ... Jesus the Christ

Holy Spirit is a title.

What is the Holy Spirit's personal name?

Casper?

22 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

So ... what is the Holy Spirit's personal name?

Jehovah God has a name and title .... Jehovah the Almighty God.

Jesus has a name and title ... Jesus the Christ

Holy Spirit is a title.

What is the Holy Spirit's personal name?

Casper?

Mr Rook,

You don’t know the Scriptures do you, for if you did then you would know how ridiculous your whole argument is!

In Scripture spiritual beings are not always named; some evil spirits are rarely named but are identified by their particular character/title, for example “unclean” and ‘wicked” etc., and yet there is no doubt that they are persons!  

But anyway, to show you further how your argument is completely groundless, you should do yourself a favor and go read in your Bible (that is if you have one?) and take note how the Holy Spirit is identified as YHWH, see Isaiah 6:8-10 and Acts 28:25-29.  

Now, WHERE is your Biblical support for the idea that the Holy Spirit is some sort of power/force? as I have said, I readily await your evidence from the Scriptures to support your claim! <><

A frog MIGHT avoid bumping his rump, every time he jumps, if he had wings .... but frogs do not have wings ... and neither does your supposition that what is supposed to be a three-in one "Godhead" ... two of them do have personal names, but one does not.

Even each of my five dogs has a personal name... and they know (in English) what their personal names are.

If your argument was sound .... and it is NOT, for so MANY reasons .... my dogs have the advantage.

8 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

A frog MIGHT avoid bumping his rump, every time he jumps, if he had wings .... but frogs do not have wings ... and neither does your supposition that what is supposed to be a three-in one "Godhead" ... two of them do have personal names, but one does not.

Even each of my five dogs has a personal name... and they know (in English) what their personal names are.

If your argument was sound .... and it is NOT, for so MANY reasons .... my dogs have the advantage.

Mr Rook,

I know that JWs are scripturally naïve, because you follow the false teachings of a magazine and the ideas of men.  I gave you evidence showing how your argument lacks Biblical support. Do yourself a favor…read your Bible! <><

10 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I do read my Bible, but I use common sense in doing so. 

The KJV mentions Unicorns 9 times, but does not mention cookie making Keebler Elves, not even once.

Coincidence?

Mr. Rook,

I doubt that because your argument coupled with your "common sense” shows that you are ignorant of the Scriptures, and proves that you just follow the false, man made ideas of a magazine, this is brought out by juxtaposing your silly argument on how the KJV translates!

Prove that you read your Bible by providing me with Scriptural evidence for your idea that the Holy Spirit is some sort of power/force, if you can't, then that shows you are NOT reading the Bible but relying on man made teachings. <>< 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.