The World News Media

Let's Get It On - identify a cult!

Evacuated

Try this criteria to identify a cult

Any takers?

• Run by a charismatic, authoritarian leader, or leadership group, who seeks extreme levels of control over followers.
  • Uses a hierarchical pyramid structure with layers of secrecy surrounding the leader.             
  • Followers are socially, psychologically and sometimes physically isolated.
  • Leader's behaviour is justified by a totalitarian belief system that claims to have all the answers.
  • A brainwashing process takes place. Total immersion in the group leaves no time or space for self-generated relationships or activities
  • The group alternates an apparently loving or attentive approach with escalating levels of stress or fear. This could be implemented through sleep or food deprivation, apocalyptic predictions, or threats of violence or sexual abuse.
  • This process of coercive control creates followers who are controlled by or for the leader without regard for their own needs.

• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Will pictures do?  

This is a good set of points. (I changed the bullets to numbers for discussion.) Do you think that all of them have to be true at once? Or can 5 of the 7 bullets be true? Or only 2 of the 7?

Things like this are a good test of peoples' integrity.   ESPECIALLY when the test has a simple YES or NO answer, and they are aware that they will answer to Almighty God, for lying.  Honest que

Posted Images

Apparently no one knows what an actually cult is, nor the difference between a religion and or cult. False ones and stupid ones are ever so ignorant on the term and it shows clearly that such ones do not delve into the history of Christianity.

In short, any Christian group that is of mainstream origin that goes beyond the teachings (i.e. stupid and or silly doctrines, believing the church can be unisex and attempt to defend it, justifying homosexuality, interfaith, etc.) above all, take said teachings and twist it into something entirely different in an extremist way - Believing that Jesus is a woman, believing his church order is unisex, teaching to accept all things even when it is dirty and unclean and going into the extremes about it - is a cult.

That being said, some so called Christian spread their idiocy and claim they are of God and Christ, at the end of the day, wise ones can see through their folly.  And such ones are the reasons why people make Jesus and his God out to be some kind of joke, as we have an example, many, namely in China.

2 hours ago, Space Merchant said:

In short, any Christian group that is of mainstream origin that goes beyond the teachings (i.e. stupid and or silly doctrines, believing the church can be unisex and attempt to defend it, justifying homosexuality, interfaith, etc.) above all, take said teachings and twist it into something entirely different in an extremist way - Believing that Jesus is a woman, believing his church order is unisex, teaching to accept all things even when it is dirty and unclean and going into the extremes about it - is a cult.

The things that you mentioned are more about the content of the doctrines. @Outta Here made specific list about methods of influence on people or on a group of people that is/can be used in variation of intensity and models. 

Quote @Outta Here This process of coercive control creates followers who are controlled by or for the leader without regard for their own needs.

One needs to be a bit careful about this idea I think. Because the scriptures tell us to put God before all things and even to risk our own lives for our 'brothers' (whomever they may be) 

We know that Jesus willingly gave his earthly life to give praise and glory to his heavenly Father and to give humans a chance of everlasting life on a paradise earth. 

One has to think about who their 'leader' really is.  If our 'leader' is Christ and he is leading us to a closer relationship with God, with everlasting life in view, then we must be prepared to face even death beforehand. We obviously need the faith in the resurrection to do so.  This is from scripture not from JW Org. 

In my opinion the Watchtower  / JW Org are too big a business to be a cult as such. And being earthwide I see them more as a full on religion, even though they are heading in a wrong direction. 

I mean the Catholics are earthwide and have the Pope as their leader but i don't think the Catholic church is a cult either. :) 

To the point about the W/t being big business, they have shareholders. I thought shareholders were people that made profit from a company/business. You put money in and get more money out. But I suppose that should be another topic. 

It seems to me that a small or large religion can be a cult, or cult-like.  Cults portray the same primary characteristics, which can be traced back to the Destroyer, Satan. Isa 33:1 Such traits have influenced political and religious rulers throughout history.  Cults and cult-like entities destroy lives using four systems of control explained here:

On 6/21/2019 at 9:42 AM, JOHN BUTLER said:

we must be prepared to face even death beforehand. We obviously need the faith in the resurrection to do so.

People give their lives for any number of causes without faith in a resurrection. This noble quality of humans is exploited by "cult" leaders regardless of the damage it might do to the individual, and with no thought of benefit to them. Followers are merely pawns.

Interestingly, the word "cult" has come to carry a load of meaning and association  that has little to do with it's original etymology and derivation. Bit like the word "gay".

One current definition that sums up the way many use the word today is  "cult = a religion I don't like".

9 hours ago, Outta Here said:

People give their lives for any number of causes without faith in a resurrection.

One day it occurred to me that people that face extreme hardship, deprivation, and death with a sure and solid hope in the resurrection have FAR less courage and convictions than the atheist who acting on his convictions, faces extreme hardship, deprivation and death.

I think I came to this realization watching a documentary in the "Battle of Britain" where the English Air force was hopelessly outnumbered by the German Luftwaffe, and as the English pilots rose into the sky to meet the enemy, they had no expectation of surviving the encounter ... and they did it anyway, because it was the right thing to do.

As atheists, they knew what was the right thing to do, and in doing it THEY WOULD BE DEAD FOREVER.

.... now THAT'S courage.

In my opinion war is not  'the right thing to do'. All this about men being tough doesn't wash with me. 

And maybe most of those men were brainwashed into believing they would die and go to heaven. 

The war was about men and women being conscripted to kill other men and women. 

Remember even some Germans didn't go to war. Probably not only JW's at that.

Sorry James but you seem to have this thing about guns and men being tough. There is enough sh-t in life for some of us that we don't need war or guns to make it worse.  

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Contributors

• Topics

• The world’s #1 wheat harvester has invaded the world’s #4 wheat harvester. What do you think will happen to the price of food soon? World's 1st producer of fertilizer? Russia World's 1st producer of Potash? Russia  
    • The UN SecGen warned about global grain shortages a few days ago. Source
    • El Salvador could be the catalyst for the most audacious economic experiment since Bretton Woods. On September 7th 2021, they became the first country in the world to make the nascent digital currency, Bitcoin, legal tender. If other countries follow, it could lead to a new international monetary system. How did this come to pass? And what does it mean for Salvadorians? A beach and a palace bookend Bitcoin's story in El Salvador, and my film starts in the coastal resort of El Zonte, aka Bitcoin Beach, where I visit Michael Peterson, a US charity worker who developed this unique Bitcoin community. Most Salvadorians in El Zonte are unbanked, yet, with Bitcoin Beach, they were introduced to this new financial system. I also sit with the President of El Salvador, Nayib Bukele, who, inspired by El Zonte, saw a chance to reset his country's fortunes. He took the unprecedented step to align his country's future with Bitcoin, taking on powerful interests at home and abroad. The El Salvadorian people lie between these two men, ravaged by civil war, gang violence, and political corruption. Bukele has a bold vision for a new future, but his changes have bred distrust in some and hope in others. I travel to meet those protesting against Bitcoin and those who believe it can be a force for good. On the day I published this video, El Salvador hosted 44 other emerging nations at a financial inclusion conference. What started as a small project in El Zonte may lead to Bitcoin becoming the standard for other countries worldwide.
    • Former lead of Facebook's shitcoin project launches lightning project
  • Members

• Thinking

Thinking 760

• Chichou

Chichou 0

• JW Insider

JW Insider 6,949

• Arauna

Arauna 2,886

• Recent Status Updates

• Mic Drop

This Bitcoin and Crypto stuff is really starting to take off like wildfire
      · 0 replies
    • Arauna  »  Thinking

Hi, it seems we are the only two left talking about it as the rest have lost interest.  PITY, because they will soon see what is coming. I have always had a good imagination for understanding injustice. ..I watched the video about the injustice you put up.... very sad. We understand those things.....the other video is just a parody, of snippets of a very nasty person.... I do not know who she is but she was standing  next to the health minister.....
      I am not well, so I may not make it thru this system..... and I am happy to say maybe it is a  good thing.... I want to praise jehovah until I die ...but the opportunities are getting less.... and who wants to see people suffer?  If I were still around I would be severely stressed by it.  
      My father always said " know all, blow all" when people think they know it all.  And I have seen some pretty opinionated people on here. Mostly people who have had very little suffering and had authority in congregations.   
      I encourage you to stay strong dear sister and please devote more time to worship Jehovah in love. I also want to cut my time on internet ........ I spend time trying to find hidden  news about new developments in UN etc.  Soon all news about what is really  going on will not be available..... just mandates from governments and propaganda from the governments. People will be liquidated and we will not be able to get news about it. 
      Just stay strong. I am glad you spoke out about Australia.... I have a friend there who is too afraid to talk on internet.  They have already built  Covid "camps" in USA and Australia.... the  ĺorcing all "faith in god" out of everyone..  only worship of the state will be allowed. .... to compromise as many as he can.
      Strengthen yourself. No one can do it for you. 
      · 0 replies
    • Toni  »  T.B. (Twyla)

Thank you so much for the spiritual food!!!
      Agape
      Toni
      · 0 replies
    • Arauna  »  TrueTomHarley

Hi Tom, where are u?  I miss ya! 
      · 2 replies
    • Eric Ouellet

ג Guimel
      Ô. Jéhovah trace le chemin de ma vie;
      car en vous je met ma confiance entière.
      Vos paroles se révèlent à mon oreille.
      Je voudrais être prêt à vous servir toute au long de ma vie.
      La source de mes secrets, vous est révelé devant vous;
      votre justice est comme la lumière du soleil en plein midi.
      Seul mon Dieu peut discerner les actions de mon Âme;
      les secrets de mes pensées et de celles de mes actions.
      Ô mon Dieu Jéhovah , je voudrais recevoir l'honneur 
      de la protection du Dieu de mon Salut. 
      J'aimerais recevoir l'eau de ta source pour m'abreuver 
      comme un chameau avant le grand pèlerinage de ma foi.
      Devant vos yeux se dessine la quête de ma victoire;
      Car Jéhovah est grand et infiniment digne de louanges.
      La grandeur de votre sagesse et de votre intelligence est inscrutable.
      Je voudrais rendre grâce à Jéhovah et m'unir à tous les justes et humbles de la terre.
      Tous ensemble exaltons le Nom glorieux de notre Dieu d'amour.
      Les œuvres de notre Dieu Jéhovah sont grandioses, à tout jamais.
      Hallélouyah
      Ô. Jéhovah voulez-vous protèger votre serviteur;
      afin que je vive et que j’obéisse à vos paroles?
      Ouvre mes yeux pour que je vois clairement
      les choses merveilleuses de votre loi qui sont inscrites
      à l'intérieur des paroles de votre livre merveilleux.

Je ne suis qu’un étranger dans le pays de la terre.
      Ô mon Dieu ne me cache d'aucune manière la beauté 
      de vos préceptes qui gardent vos serviteurs en vie.
      Bénis soit celui qui me révèle le chemin que je dois parcourir;
      le désir que manifeste mon âme qui est attaché à ma poussière.

Je voudrais connaître le secret de préserver mon âme;
      ce cadeau inestimable du seul vrai Dieu; ce lien d'appartenance que je dois préserver au gré de ma vie comme à la prunelle de mes yeux.
      Je voudrais brûler constamment de désir pour tes jugements;
      car les jugements de mon Dieu révèle sa grandeur.

Ô. Jéhovah réprimandes les présomptueux,
      les hypocrites qui dévient de la beauté de tes commandements.
      Éloigne de moi la dérision et le mépris de ce monde,
      car je veux obéir à tes rappels et je veux être soucieux de garder 
      mon âme de toutes violences et de toutes souillures de ce monde.
      Même si les princes de ce monde se réunissent 
      pour parler contre tes serviteurs;
      Tes serviteurs méditent sur vos prescriptions;
      unie à votre amour comme un seul, nous sommes attachés à vos rappels ;
      Tous ceux qui sont avec toi au mon Dieu sont mes conseillers.
      L'humilité et ma douceur garde mes yeux éveillés à lire votre parole, jour et nuit; car votre parole est la source de la lumière qui fera briller mon âme au jour de votre salut.
      Ô. Jéhovah fait briller ta justice et ton droit comme l’aurore du soleil en plein midi.
      Les descendants de ton salut seront puissant sur la terre.
      Gloire et honneur soit rendu à notre Dieu Jéhovah. 
      Bénis soit le Dieu unique de notre Salut
      Hallélouyah.

· 1 reply
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jonathan Knowles

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.